Tommy Wright

50yrs a Saint

Hopefully Tommy has seen what a classless shower of minkers the "Matalan Catalans" are in the seriously dubious manner in which they got rid of their utterly useless manager last week. I think that sometimes a manager just fits a club well, Tommy & Saints are in that category.  The PJMs are not that much bigger a club really. Not so much as it would make moving that big a deal and it should be a big deal if he's gonna move on.

Despite all this media posturing and "they're a bigger club" crap the fact is why would anyone in their right mind move to another job where the salary will not be dramatically greater, the pool of players is seriously inferior to what you have at present, all you have to look forward to in the short term is a relegation battle and longer term playing against Alloa (no disrespect intended) and the likes. In summary -- you cannae polish a turd. Tommy will see the potential to achieve something special this season at our wee club and have far better options than a period of turd polishing. Rock on Tommy - we'll support you evermore.

I won't be devastated if he goes. While I don't want him to, Tommy will one day end his connection with St Johnstone. Every manager has his time and he'll either be fired or he'll move on. I'd rather he left with good memories rather than bad. 

It's irrelevant where that is. Going to United would be stupid – history tells you it's almost bound to end in failure – but that would be entirely his choice. I do find it funny though that despite a shaky start to the season, three impressive wins have suddenly turned him into a tactical genius*. I can see why he might be tempted to make his move while he has that sort of reputation.

What no pundit seems to acknowledge – and I wish they would – is St Johnstone's track record over the past 10 years that stretches beyond a single manager. Tommy Wright's predecessor led us to third place and Europe. McInnes got us promoted and into cup semis; Coyle too led us to semi finals even as a First Division team. In short, is it the manager or the setup at the club that is producing such great success? It's surely worth discussing. And worth Saints fans bearing in mind.

* In particular I've read reports citing how he tactically out-fought Rangers – though precious little mention given to the shambolic 1-0 defeat when Rangers were being managed by Super Ally the season before. And the tremendous comeback against United has nicely obscured Kilmarnock's comeback against us the previous week.

Edited by Brogan

Despite all this media posturing and "they're a bigger club" crap the fact is why would anyone in their right mind move to another job where the salary will not be dramatically greater, the pool of players is seriously inferior to what you have at present, all you have to look forward to in the short term is a relegation battle and longer term playing against Alloa (no disrespect intended) and the likes. In summary -- you cannae polish a turd. Tommy will see the potential to achieve something special this season at our wee club and have far better options than a period of turd polishing. Rock on Tommy - we'll support you evermore.

he would double his wage at Utd, Possibly more than that if they really want him . I have it on good authority TW is on £80K + Bonuses that will take him up to around the £100 K a year mark, Jackie MaC was on £300K + bonuses a year. ? 

What no pundit seems to acknowledge – and I wish they would – is St Johnstone's track record over the past 10 years that stretches beyond a single manager. Tommy Wright's predecessor led us to third place and Europe. McInnes got us promoted and into cup semis; Coyle too led us to semi finals even as a First Division team. In short, is it the manager or the setup at the club that is producing such great success? It's surely worth discussing. And worth Saints fans bearing in mind.

I think that's a brilliant point and one I hadn't given much thought to up until now. For all the frustrations our successive managers seem to share about lack of spending budget, the fact is we're a club who give managers breathing space to develop and build competitive teams, without the threat of a sacking hanging over them. When you look at what Saints have achieved and the relatively pressure-free environment it's been achieved in, it must make the Saints job one of the most desirable positions around.

I'll be astonished if Tommy Wright goes to United. I think he's an expensive option for them, and they're a rubbish option for him. Despite their bigger support and more successful history, there's nothing he can achieve there that he wouldn't be able to achieve here. Plus, there's far more danger of him doing badly and getting sacked if he goes there. On the flip-side, it would take a gargantuan disaster for him to be sacked by Saints.

That said, I think he's going to be in demand soon from other clubs who will be far, far more difficult to hold at bay. I know he signed a new contract last year, but personally I would be opening talks over another new one now. He's the club's biggest asset by a long, long way and I want him here for the long-term.

he would double his wage at Utd, Possibly more than that if they really want him . I have it on good authority TW is on £80K + Bonuses that will take him up to around the £100 K a year mark, Jackie MaC was on £300K + bonuses a year. ? 

Whilst happy to accept it, that figure is a surprise. I would have guessed around 50k plus very good bonuses. I doubt whether any of the players get anything near 80k. The DU figure is much more believable, and that's the only reason you could possibly find for him to even consider going there. I hope he doesn't.

I'll be done with Wright if he goes. Worse than Sturrock, who at least had the excuse of United being his club.

I'm quietly confident in Tommy integrity and manner. 

1 he'd never go to a club that treats their previous manager with disrespect as Dufc did 

2 the thought of coming back to mcdarmid with another provincial club and beating us would be sickening for him 

3 he loves us too much than to take a side step 

4 look what happened to Terry Butcher  success and stability now in the doldrums 

5 most importantly his family he values family life and I don't think moving to DUFC is significant and justifies upsetting his life  

My view it's just not big enough a move .....

id hope he's resolve this speculation soon so we can move on   

In Tommy we trust

Whilst happy to accept it, that figure is a surprise. I would have guessed around 50k plus very good bonuses. I doubt whether any of the players get anything near 80k. The DU figure is much more believable, and that's the only reason you could possibly find for him to even consider going there. I hope he doesn't.

I was astounded by it as well, was even more astounded it was £50K when he came as Lomas assistant,  I thought assistants were on maybe 25-30K ? 

I think that's a brilliant point and one I hadn't given much thought to up until now. For all the frustrations our successive managers seem to share about lack of spending budget, the fact is we're a club who give managers breathing space to develop and build competitive teams, without the threat of a sacking hanging over them. When you look at what Saints have achieved and the relatively pressure-free environment it's been achieved in, it must make the Saints job one of the most desirable positions around.

I'll be astonished if Tommy Wright goes to United. I think he's an expensive option for them, and they're a rubbish option for him. Despite their bigger support and more successful history, there's nothing he can achieve there that he wouldn't be able to achieve here. Plus, there's far more danger of him doing badly and getting sacked if he goes there. On the flip-side, it would take a gargantuan disaster for him to be sacked by Saints.

That said, I think he's going to be in demand soon from other clubs who will be far, far more difficult to hold at bay. I know he signed a new contract last year, but personally I would be opening talks over another new one now. He's the club's biggest asset by a long, long way and I want him here for the long-term.

Who was last manager we actually sacked? Connolly?

I don't think he will go! If he did I wouldn't hold it against him! Some of my best Saints experiences have been under his watch! 

In my opinion he is a minor miracle worker, he has managed to achieve something that other managers have failed, and that is Saints playing as a team! (And a wee cup win)... Never say die attitude .... I love it!? If & when he goes I will thank him and wish him luck!?!:laugh:

Who would be an assistant manager if you got the same as a manager at Asda?

Having a football background is unlikely to get you a manager's job in Asda.  Also depends which level of management you are talking about in Asda.  If you're talking Store Manager of a shop the size of Perth Asda, then you'll probably find that the guy in that job is closer to Tommy's current salary.

Having a football background is unlikely to get you a manager's job in Asda.  Also depends which level of management you are talking about in Asda.  If you're talking Store Manager of a shop the size of Perth Asda, then you'll probably find that the guy in that job is closer to Tommy's current salary 

I meant a shitey department manager. Surely no one thought an assistant manager of a Premiership team would be on £25k?

I understand the short memory thing - he has had some dire games, this years Euro games the worst of all.  However, I've supported Saints long enough to watch us play that badly for three consecutive seasons.  One thing Tommy does is keep morale up, get players fighting for the jersey and back t winning ways.  

Don't have a clue, but I wonder what Tommy's longest losing streak is compared to previous managers? 

I meant a shitey department manager. Surely no one thought an assistant manager of a Premiership team would be on £25k?

The thing is it is called real life , There are only so many Asda mangers job available, and although not a manager at Asda but a real life Managing Director I would gladly trade my position for 25K a year to be TW or CD assistant manager, Now go back to sleep if you can not come with up any meaningful information, unless your account has been hacked by the failed Managing Director of a chip shop, my apologies if this is the case.

If TW goes and I mean if I believe he will take Callum with him. Once a manager and his assistant form a good partnership they almost always stick together. In my opinion, he would only take one player with him MOH the others are in the twilight of their careers. Buying Stevie May will be another condition in him accepting the job.

If he goes we are looking outside the club for a new manager.

Footy wages can be much lower than you think. Tommy Burrns said he was on £20k (perhaps £30k now) as manager of Killie before he went to Celtic. Norn Irn used to have a problem attracting managers, as they paid it as a part time job, on around £20k.  That young lad Hurst who came on yesterday, I doubt he's on more than £20k, and quite possibly might be on minimum wage. Thing is, as the guy above said, any job in footy is a dream come true, and if you make it, can lead to millions. I was a head of internal audit. Would you want to listen to me in a pub talking about my work, or TW!