Tommy Wright

50yrs a Saint

I don't agree with it, but MOM doesn't take into account budget, depth of squad, Europe or cup games. Its a mathematical equation and Celtic are the only team to have won every league game in October. 

We don't need a bullsh*t award to know we have the best management team in the league. 

Edited by angus-saint253

Agree. The only way that the 90's squad trumps this one is in the nostalgia stakes. 

Nonsense. We had far better players in the late nineties - O'Boyle, Griffin, O'Neil, Dasovic, Main among others. It was a quality side, peppered with internationalists and international squad members up against far better teams.

It's unarguable that today's team has achieved a lot more, but you have to acknowledge wider circumstances, including the overall decline in quality of bigger clubs, that puts us in a far stronger position today.

Nonsense. We had far better players in the late nineties - O'Boyle, Griffin, O'Neil, Dasovic, Main among others. It was a quality side, peppered with internationalists and international squad members up against far better teams.

It's unarguable that today's team has achieved a lot more, but you have to acknowledge wider circumstances, including the overall decline in quality of bigger clubs, that puts us in a far stronger position today.

I have to agree with this. The competition in the 90's was far superior. Just look at the other teams line ups back then

i agree that the players In general were better or overpriced however it's been a level playing field our buying ability is less also and therefore the competition is the same 

the biggest factor has been the loss of Rangers, hearts & hibs therefore giving us an easier path to getting higher in the league 

Not convinced at all. I wouldn't say Mannus was any worse than Main. I actually feel safer with Mannus than I did Main. Griffin played in a poor NI team and never really went anywhere. Same could be said for Dasovic who was obviously a bit older. These guys weren't capped for big nations.

The league is not as strong as tons of teams aren't blatantly cheating now but we've always lived within our means. We have more strength in depth now than we did then I think.

Edited by Pat McGroin

Why is it that every time a mid-lower end English Championship side fires their manager, I immediately think "oh no!"

Today it's Huddersfield. Sadly, the job TW has done with us means it's almost inevitable that he'll go. And whilst there will be some here that'll say "he can do better than that" or "we're bigger than them" the reality is that a club like Huddersfield could well be an attractive proposition to him.

Why is it that every time a mid-lower end English Championship side fires their manager, I immediately think "oh no!"

Today it's Huddersfield. Sadly, the job TW has done with us means it's almost inevitable that he'll go. And whilst there will be some here that'll say "he can do better than that" or "we're bigger than them" the reality is that a club like Huddersfield could well be an attractive proposition to him.

You seem to forget the loyalty of the man...

I only hope that is given when or if he goes through a bad patch..Tommy Wright is all about his family and the quality life it provides.. The man has his bussiness run like a machine and has recently upped his salary without any added pressure...

There is no reason for him to up root his foundation unless it becomes an rresistable challenge which quite frankly is not Huddersfield...be cool we'll all know when his time to move comes as it'll be obvious....

I wouldn't grudge Tommy a move to the likes of Huddersfield to be honest - that's a logical move, he'll make more money and get much more exposure there than he ever would here. It's basically everything that going to Dundee United wouldn't have been.

Can't see him going so soon after his new contract was signed tbh.

I absolutely loved the Saints team of the late 90's however if I had to choose I would take Mannus over Main ...

Davidson over O'Neil

O'Halloran over O'Boyle

and Millar over Dasovic or Griffin

That is not to say that I would not welcome the aforementioned players of the 90's into today's team, they were all great players for Saints and as such are all heroes in my mind.

Some short memories here. I'm a big fan of Mannus but Main was better.

not at all, I just remember his kicking ability. 

His ego wouldn't fit in our dressing room these days. 

Football has progressed. Our current team are fitter and stronger than back then imo.

Edited by Pat McGroin