Albion Rovers - Take A Bow

LondonSuperJ

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/27416968

Absolutely brilliant initiative which has garnered a lot of support worldwide and in the media. Full credit to the club for backing their instinct and engaging with the local fans.

Would it be possible for Saints to do something similar but expressly for the tickets to go to school children.

We have the seats spare to fit them in so we wouldn't lose any income. Even if only 100 were bought for a £50 each that's still an extra £5000 for the club, not much but better than a kick in the stones and 100 extra fans each home game.

Those 100 tickets could be distributed by ballot, or directly to the schools who can dish them out, whatever. It's not exactly a well thought out idea on my part but it is a great initiative from an even diddier club (no offense to Albion but lets be honest here) which seems to be working and no reason a club like Saints couldn't lay excellent groundwork for future fans and support. Saints are on the up just now but we shouldn't rest on our laurels and so now is the time to build upon that success with excellent initiatives for the fans.

Would fans be willing to part with a bit extra (whatever they can afford, remember) to ensure a few more kids go to watch Saints each season?

The cynical amongst you might point out that the parent of the lucky kid would have to then pay to get in but maybe a discount for the parent upon presentation of the "Golden Season ticket" from their child so that it is still income for the club without crippling the supporters financially.

Its just a thought but it would be good to come up with ideas like this for our club and I understood there was a pathway between the fans and the club for initiatives like this to be thought through.

Aye, see your point. 

For me the slight difference is the Celtic game was how much to charge the ones we already get through the door, and just as importantly how much to charge the Celtic fans. 

However, the point of this scheme would be to get long term punters through the door who are not coming just now. 75% of something is always more than 100% of nothing.

It's an idea, it's not even really my idea, but its better than nothing.

I get what the OP is saying.  However, a paying adult can take up to 2 kids for free to McDiarmid as things stand.  The fact is that too many parents are too lazy/busy doing other things to bother taking their kids.  Personally, I don't see what else Saints can do short of sending minibuses to people's doors!

I think the club got the price for the Celtic game spot on. Lowering the price would have lost them money as they would not have got the extra bodies through the gate with the cup final coming up when the game was live on tv. I am sure if it were any other team the last home game of the season on a saturday would have been reduced if we never had a cup final coming up.

The club have also offered plenty of deals such as allowing season ticket holders to take a friend for free which was a total failure on the fans part. The prices for the kids are the best in the country.

I get what the OP is saying.  However, a paying adult can take up to 2 kids for free to McDiarmid as things stand.  The fact is that too many parents are too lazy/busy doing other things to bother taking their kids.  Personally, I don't see what else Saints can do short of sending minibuses to people's doors!

Wholeheartedly agree with this.

£15 for an adult and 2 kids to the fitba is amazing. I think I'd actually be dearer taking my laddies to a Junior game.