Liam Craig

thesaint10

I wouldn't take Liam Craig back. He doesn't fit into our current system at all and he was a disruptive influence within the club IMO.

There has never, ever been any suggestion of him being any sort of negative  influence on the club, so you made that bit up.

It is an odd scenario this.  Reading through this thread it's almost as if people are looking for excuses not to take him back.  The fact is that he was a GREAT player and character for us, and very influential in getting the club to where it is now in terms of on field success.  He moved on with his head held high for all the right reasons, and it has gone catastrophically wrong for him.

In the interim, we have built probably the most competitive midfield squad in the club's history, with a perfect blend of experience and genuine young talent and potential.  That's the only reason that Liam wouldn't walk back into our team.  Probably any other season that I can remember, I would be champing at the bit to get him back in, but not this season.  That is IN NO WAY a reflection on Liam, but a reflection of us having a settled and effective midfield with competition for places, and at least one youngster who looks like he could be the real deal in Scott Brown.

Genuinely wish the guy all the best.  I think it's shit that he's been told he can leave Hibs - he's exactly the kind of guy they need to mount a challenge next season, and the chances are that he would have taken that challenge on and given 100% as ever to get them promoted again.  The fact that Hibs can't see that in him is reflective of the disease that the club seems to suffer from just now.  

Some poor memories on this thread. Put it this way, if I was to say to you:

"Here, Saints can have a left footed midfielder who scores 9 or 10 goals a season, can play left back, gives 100% every game, has a habit of scoring important goals and can play in central mid too...for free"

Hands up who'd say no?

"Here, Saints can have a left footed midfielder who scores 9 or 10 goals a season, can play left back, gives 100% every game, has a habit of scoring important goals and can play in central mid too...for free"

Hands up who'd say no?

Nail on Head.

Hands up who'd say no?

If you guaranteed he would score ten goals for us and none from penalties, then I might consider a u turn. Andy Brannigan used to score about 9 goals for us per season and gave a 100% but I wouldnae have him back either.  

Craig was good for us & how many players would have put the effort in that he did after being signed for another club.

If he came back I would be happy & if he didn`t then it gives the young guys a chance which I would probably prefer.

Liam was a great servant to us and conducted himself brilliantly when it came out that he had signed a pre-contract with Hibs.

He always chipped in with his share of goals, many at crucial times

He continued to give his all in the remaining games after signing the pre-contract and I didn't once doubt his committment

Having met him on a few occasions, he is a great lad and his relationship with the other Saints players always seemed to be one of genuine friendship

Would I have him back now, taking into account the squad we have, the way the team play etc etc?

Simple answer - no

Liam was a great servant to us and conducted himself brilliantly when it came out that he had signed a pre-contract with Hibs.

He always chipped in with his share of goals, many at crucial times

He continued to give his all in the remaining games after signing the pre-contract and I didn't once doubt his committment

Having met him on a few occasions, he is a great lad and his relationship with the other Saints players always seemed to be one of genuine friendship

Would I have him back now, taking into account the squad we have, the way the team play etc etc?

Simple answer - no

My sentiments exactly

Liam Craig will be back at Falkirk next season.

Would be a waste to see him playing down in the Championship at this stage in his career IMO.

I agree with what others are saying here, I can't really see space for him in our midfield just now. That's not taking away from Liam as a footballer, we just seem to be stacked in the middle of the park!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Del offer him a deal. Aberdeen will surely be looking to expand the squad a wee bit to take in the extra European games next season. He might not be a guaranteed starter every week for them, but Mcinnes' knows him, he was his first signing at Saints, and he still rates him highly.

Some of the hate towards Liam Craig from saints fans is actually depressing, look back to the end of last season. How many important goals did he score? United at home in stoppage time to secure top six, United away to break our tannadice hoodoo and keep us in the fight for third, then against motherwell at home to help secure european football. Not just last season, Dunfermline in 2008/2009. The list goes on. Excuse the language, but there is no other way to put it. He gave ****ing everything for Saints and It is highly possible that we wouldn't be having this unbelievable period in our history if it wasn't for him. A midfielder who gets 8-10 goals a season is massive. If you don't want him back at saints you are strange.

Suppose I've been called a lot worse than strange before , so I accept the fact I'm strange .