Ando Testimonial Match

patsy

--------------------------------------------------------------

Someone on here involved in the testimonial committee can probably give a better explanation, but Saints could not be seen to be promoting the testimonial as a club event, something to do with tax believe it or not from what was said to me. I was told that another Premiership club had actually got in touch with Saints to say that when it was first publicised heavily on social media, that they should watch, as this club had done that and got told not to. That is why when you look at the twitter feed on the day, it said for updates, see the testimonial feed, which unfortunately had none. It is also the reason that both twitter and facebook pages linked to the Ando Testimonial pages/feed in the run up instead of putting it all on the Saints one. 

Daft as it is a Saints player, but it had to be seen as being run by the committee and not the club. As has been said, typically, coverage of Saints is normally pretty good on twitter.

Correct..

I don't mind open debate but FFS keep the young players out if it.

Why? One of Kitchen, Rodger or Gilchrist will be 7th choice in defence this season. That was effectively *** Clancys role last season, he played in 4 matches, including ones against Dundee United and Celtic. One of those three might end up in that same position this year, and not one of them is anywhere near good enough to play that role in the squad, you can be all nicey nice and defensive if you want, the simple fact is these players now have a role at senior level, and will be judged accordngly 

Without wanting to sound like a complete ****ing creep, I was surprised to find you walking in front of me on the way out the car park considering your song had just come on, thought they might have told you it was coming and you'd hang back and ride some groupies. 

I stopped in my tracks as soon as I heard the song begin. I had made my way to the car park in the hope that there would be plenty of 'dogging' opportunities, but alas.. I should have remained in the stadium. 

Why? One of Kitchen, Rodger or Gilchrist will be 7th choice in defence this season. That was effectively *** Clancys role last season, he played in 4 matches, including ones against Dundee United and Celtic. One of those three might end up in that same position this year, and not one of them is anywhere near good enough to play that role in the squad, you can be all nicey nice and defensive if you want, the simple fact is these players now have a role at senior level, and will be judged accordngly

Rodger looks decent enough. Didn't play yesterday but the best of the three you mentioned.

I'm pretty sure both Kitchen and Gilchrist would look much more comfortable playing in their natural position. 

Can you imagine for example Frazer Wright playing left back?!

He wouldn't be comfortable either. 

Rodger looks decent enough. Didn't play yesterday but the best of the three you mentioned.

Yeah Rodgers look the best, but he's nowhere near good enough for Premiership football

If you look at the post before mine you will see this topic being used for yet another attack at the club which is creeping into almost every topic at the moment.

There is a whole massive topic where the club is being ripped a new one, so there is no need to attempt to take every thread off on the same theme, so maybe it is yourself that doesn't quite understand what a Fans Forum is all about.

One post from one poster.

The real - your song is a complete stonker.

50% of people on this site moan, and moan and moan. And...........

1% write to the club with suggestions. Join the Fans Forum. Turn up at 8 in the morning and clean up litter. Form groups to further the cause of disabled fans. Spend your day off cleaning up the trash from the day before. Give us reports from the training ground. Join committees to celebrate wonderful servants to the club. Etc, etc, etc.

The real heros are the 100 or so heading off to Slovakia. Big hugs, and I hope you all come back safe and sound.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Someone on here involved in the testimonial committee can probably give a better explanation, but Saints could not be seen to be promoting the testimonial as a club event, something to do with tax believe it or not from what was said to me. I was told that another Premiership club had actually got in touch with Saints to say that when it was first publicised heavily on social media, that they should watch, as this club had done that and got told not to. That is why when you look at the twitter feed on the day, it said for updates, see the testimonial feed, which unfortunately had none. It is also the reason that both twitter and facebook pages linked to the Ando Testimonial pages/feed in the run up instead of putting it all on the Saints one. 

Daft as it is a Saints player, but it had to be seen as being run by the committee and not the club. As has been said, typically, coverage of Saints is normally pretty good on twitter.

You are of course correct.  However, I fear that BBD will use any opportunity he can to have a go at the club and in particular Steve Brown.  Nothing will get in the way of his wee vendetta.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd bump this in the testimonial thread. (sorry if some get upset)

Testimonials have been tax free since a court ruled in 1927 that the cash raised was a gift to the player from the fans.

Fast forward to 2015 and the Tory Chancellor's autumn statement.

Hidden in the small print is a rule change that players honoured by their clubs for long service must now pay income tax on the cash.

This ruling could also hit charities, as some players donate their testimonial money to good causes. 

Testimonials have been tax free since a court ruled in 1927 that the cash raised was a gift to the player from the fans.

Hidden in the small print is a rule change that players honoured by their clubs for long service must now pay income tax on the cash.

This ruling could also hit charities, as some players donate their testimonial money to good causes. 

:shock:  Never knew you were political Hoodlum good spot though.

Wonder if Athens would like to comment on his masters bidding.

Its an interesting one and before my political tendencies are questioned, I'm categorically not a tory voter, so that doesn't influence my viewpoint whatsoever.

Perhaps with the exception of Scottish football these days where most players are probably more likely than not on the upper end of normal type wages, the top players in the English leagues can earn vast salaries these days and that cannot surely be comparable to a footballer's earnings in 1927 when the ruling was introduced. If say Cristiano Ronaldo returns to finish his career at Man Utd and was awarded a testimonial, would you be happy he pocketed 25% more from the proceeds on top of his £800k per week (insert whatever figure is rumoured to be his final payday). Any punter going along to testimonial events would pay tax on their earnings that will then be spent in attending said testimonial.

Probably be fairer if an allowance type system was put in place in relation to revenue generated.

I do agree that any charity donation should be tax exempt however.

Its an interesting one and before my political tendencies are questioned, I'm categorically not a tory voter, so that doesn't influence my viewpoint whatsoever.

Perhaps with the exception of Scottish football these days where most players are probably more likely than not on the upper end of normal type wages, the top players in the English leagues can earn vast salaries these days and that cannot surely be comparable to a footballer's earnings in 1927 when the ruling was introduced. If say Cristiano Ronaldo returns to finish his career at Man Utd and was awarded a testimonial, would you be happy he pocketed 25% more from the proceeds on top of his £800k per week (insert whatever figure is rumoured to be his final payday). Any punter going along to testimonial events would pay tax on their earnings that will then be spent in attending said testimonial.

Probably be fairer if an allowance type system was put in place in relation to revenue generated.

I do agree that any charity donation should be tax exempt however.

The majority of the top earners donate their money to charity anyway so it's mostly the lower waged players that this affects 

The majority of the top earners donate their money to charity anyway so it's mostly the lower waged players that this affects 

In hindsight I think you're probably right in saying the lower earners are more to keep all or some of the gift.

I wonder if the Scottish PFA compile statistics in relation to how many players earn a testimonial in any given year. 

The other point I guess is that the higher earners are more likely to move on more often and never earn a testimonial.