Europa League Draw

David123

Alestorm are a pirate rock band, they have recorded in Perth and I think the lead singer is a perthsire lad.

Yeah I've known about them for the last couple of years, also here's something from there wiki page "Alestorm is a heavy metal band from Perth, Scotland.[3] Their music is characterized by a pirate theme, and as a result they have been dubbed a "pirate metal" band[4][5] by many critics and their fanbase. They refer to their genre as "True Scottish Pirate Metal"

Where's the best place/cheapest place to travel from to get to Lucerne? Zurich/Basel/Geneva? Not too bothered about flights to these places more so the ease/cheap transport whilst in Switzerland.

Cheers

Jose

Take Zurich or Basel if possible. Geneva is way to expensive by train.

These were the only two european trips for us in the recent (15) years:

And a lot more videos here, if you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Eichhof1901/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=1

Looking forward to drink a beer with you home and away :cool:

DONE IT......booked an 18 hour round trip .....travel in, match, party, travel out.... for about £60 TOTAL!

• BA from London City -> Zurich and train on to Lucerne. £35.00 + 9000 Airmiles (train about £25.00 return from airport direct to Lucerne) :)
  • Not getting a hotel, roughing it and going back at 5am for the 7.45 flight....

COYS

Unfortunately I'm missing both legs as I'm on holiday in France :(

Anyone know when the prize draw is taking place for a season ticket holder to win the chance to travel as part of the official party?

Assuming I don't win it myself, I'll be happy to take it off your hands if you have already booked your own flights and accommodation :razz:  

DONE IT......booked an 18 hour round trip .....travel in, match, party, travel out.... for about £60 TOTAL!

• BA from London City -> Zurich and train on to Lucerne. £35.00 + 9000 Airmiles (train about £25.00 return from airport direct to Lucerne) :)
  • Not getting a hotel, roughing it and going back at 5am for the 7.45 flight....

COYS

Yep - I've used my BA miles too - 9,000 points and £35 taxes, but flying Heathrow-Zurich-Heathrow.  Out Wednesday evening, back Friday evening. Brilliant value.  Hotel also booked with BA miles - downside is that it's in Zurich but all perfectly feasible given excellent rail connection and trains leaving Luzern back to Zurich as late as midnight.

I'm really lucky that work gets me the BA miles - payback for 4am alarm calls twice a week to get early flight to London.

Third year in a row following Saints away in Europe - didn't think I could afford it this year, but with Zurich being served by BA, delighted I've got my flights and hotel for 2 nights for £35.  Bring it on!

Jim

How many fans can we expect you to bring? You will all get a great welcome in Perth, so the more the merrier!

There will certainly be a decent number of FCL fans making the trip to Scotland. In our previous two recent European trips we took around 900 to Utrecht and 750 or so to Genk. Flight prices from CH to Scotland seem to have become very expensive over the course of today, but I reckon perhaps around 500 will come to Perth. The FCL fans on away trips are a good bunch of lads. All well up for making a bit of atmosphere and lending support to the team. Some of the best FC Luzern experiences I have had were at away matches. 

I'm pretty sure that a bunch of Perth farmers will receive a warm welcome here in Luzern too. Most people speak English and the city is a popular tourist spot. If you can spare a day either side of the game, it's a lovely place to visit. 

Average price of a pint is £2.91. Much better than the over twice that we were paying in Trondheim.

If you could kindly let me know where to get a pint for 3 quid, i'd appreciate it. 

The touristy bars and pubs around the lake and river will be expensive. At the local expat/tourist pub, Mr Pickwick, where I'd image most of you might end up, you'll be paying around £6 for a pint. There's another English bar, "Legends", or as it's locally know: "Billy's" where you'll definitely get a warm welcome from it's owner. The FC Luzern fan bar near the train station, "Zone 5", does a large beer for just over £3 and the lads in there are pretty sound too. 

Otherwise, if the weather is nice, getting a carry out from the supermarket will cost you around a tenner for 12-15 bottles of beer. It's a much cheaper option and drinking in public is allowed. Although do be aware that the polizei will tolerate no nonsense and like to drive their water cannon and Land Rovers with cage fences around the town when the football is on. They are also fond of getting the rubber bullets out now and again. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Luzern

In Scotland, they'd be around Dundee or St Mirren-ish historically. Prob nearer Aberdeen/Motherwell in the last few years. Beatable.

I'm not too sure what to make of that comparison. I'm a Pars fan, but I have become quite out of touch with Scottish fitba in recent years as it's not really covered over here, and I only really follow it by means of the DAFC.net forum. I'm keen to see what FCL will do against a Scottish team. I do have a slight feeling that the general standard of the Swiss Super League is better than that of the SPL. 

Anyone found the ground on a city map,can't seem to find one!

The ground is a ten minute bus ride from town or a 3 minute underground train. Both are free with your match ticket.  Or a pleasant 15-20 minute walk with a can or two of Eichhof. 

fuque that is there a campsite?

Yes. Luzern is a very touristy city so we have lots of hotels and a few backpacker hostels too. 

Hi there.

Thanks, looking forward to going to Switzerland.

Is that route full proof?

Just dont wanna get lost!

Absolutely. The public transport system here is stunning. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FC Luzern got lucky and qualified via the league (4th) on the final day of the season with a solid 3-0 win vs Thun after a stuttering 2nd half of the season. Most of our points were gained before the winter break where we almost finished as 'Winter Champions' had it not been for FC Basel snatching a draw at their place in the last match before the break. 

We will have quite a different team to the one from last season, having seen our two main centre backs and top scoring striker not being given new contracts. Our captain and def mid player also retired.  On paper, the players signed to replace them look just as good, hopefully better, but we won't know until a few games have been played.  

We also have an Australian midfielder, Oliver Bozanic, who has been playing at the World Cup. 

It definitely is, you can't make anything wrong. Take the bus from the airport to the train station in Basel and then catch the train to Lucerne. Nothing to worry about.

What he said. We managed to get from Zurich to Basel Airport on the train and bus after 3 days on the lash in Switzerland/Liechtenstein for the Scotland game a couple of years back - it's that easy. Pardon the pun, but everything seems to run like clockwork in Switzerland when it comes to public transport.

COYS

Roadhouse right beside the train station is open until 4am.

Train from Basel to Lucerne is working out about £64 pp return from what I'm seeing. That match up with what people are paying?

From what I can see using JCBT's link above, it is

CH 32 (£23) - 2nd Class

CH 56 (£40) - 1st Class

each way

I might make this one. Could someone just re-cap on most convenient airport to fly in to. Basel, Zurich or Geneva ???

Basel or Zurich. Geneva is a bit further away but only about Perth to Inverness. All three seem easy enough.

If you fly to Zurich, you can take direct (without changing the train) trains from airport to Lucerne (German: Luzern).

They are usually every hour on ..:47 till late evening. It takes roughly 1 hour to arrive in Lucerne.

Otherwise if you cannot catch the 47 train, take a train to Zurich HB (main station, German: Hauptbahnhof) and keep an eye on which trains go to Lucerne.

As others already mentioned from Basel, you first need to take the Bus to Basel station. From there, you are able to take direct trains to Lucerne. Best and fastest train is the ..:04 train from Basel. It takes roughly 1 hour to arrive in Lucerne. 

Lucerne is a lovely city with great spots to drink. However, not so expensive as Norway :-)

Edited by mek

Train from Basel to Lucerne is working out about £64 pp return from what I'm seeing. That match up with what people are paying?

From Basel Airport to Lucerne (bus from Basel airport to Basel train station, 20 minutes, then direct train, 75 minutes) is CHF 72.40 return (about 48£)

From Zurich Airport to Lucerne (direct train, 1 hour) is CHF 56.00 return (about 37£)

From Geneva Airport to Lucerne (direct train, 3 hours) is CHF 160.00 return (about 105£)