Ryan Gauld Signs For Sporting Lisbon

Saint.Justin

Think he will turn out like Allan who was hyped upfter about 3 games & went South into oblivian& is now back and at some lower league club.

Allan was a different proposition altogether.  He played 6 games (if that!) for Dundee United and had scouts all over him.  He then refused to sign a new deal, depite having spent the greater part of his time at Tannadice injured.  The deal offered to him was the best ever offered to a teenager at Dundee United.  His attitude was 'I want more money', so off he went at the first chance of cash.  I'm sure he has made plenty, but he has all the hallmarks of a pyss poor professional I saw him on telly one night playing for Birmingham, at least a stone over weight and nowhere near the required fitness......he played three sublime passes (Charlie Millar anyone?).....and as you point out, now he is in the 2nd division with Hibs!  Gauld is a teetotal fitness fanatic who wisely took the chance to escape the brutal British leagues and gone to a club with a track record of developing young players, whilst playing the highest level in Europe.

James McFadden, Smarms?

Yep McFadden would probably be the last one, now a decade ago!  Everton are not Sporting Lisbon though.  McFadden may have done better had he gone to the Latin leagues, I would also argue McFadden is not a team player, he is a fans player.  What makes Gauld exceptional is the way he efforlessly plays in his team mates with a relentless stream of perfectly weighted passes.  JMcF always struck me as lazy and greedy with the ball, but no question about his talent!

Yep McFadden would probably be the last one, now a decade ago! Everton are not Sporting Lisbon though. McFadden may have done better had he gone to the Latin leagues, I would also argue McFadden is not a team player, he is a fans player. What makes Gauld exceptional is the way he efforlessly plays in his team mates with a relentless stream of perfectly weighted passes. JMcF always struck me as lazy and greedy with the ball, but no question about his talent!

Just face the facts Smarms, he has been ridiculously over hyped by the Tayside media machine desperate for any kind of good luck story in the wake of ARMAGEDDON.

The DABs have been lucky that Sporting Lisbon have been suckered in by higlights packages like the one you provided and a clever agent who no doubt touted him as the "Scottish Jeren Nixon".

I think he's a decent player, albeit he never really showed it against us. To be honest it's probably worth Sporting taking a £2m punt on a player who may or may not dramatically improve . As someone already posted, best of luck to him...hope he's going to make a go of it.

Hopefully it gives Brian Graham some more game time for Utd... :wink:

The Tayside media machine?  You mean Jim Spence? :laugh:

Lucky?  Maybe.  Our youth policy in the 80s produced some fine players and was copied by everyone, before Bosman crushed the revenues available, and clubs opted for 'finished articles' from abroad instead.  We've done it again....in lean times we have now made the best part of 8 million for 4 players all young 'prospects' and several others coming through.   I defy anyone to tell me this is not an oustanding model for a club who were roundly believed to be going into adminstration 4 years ago weighed down with debts....how do we do it? 

Here's some therapy for any haters looking in. :wink:

http://www.wikihow.com/Handle-Jealousy

Off topic slightly Smarmy......how much of the Robertson/Gauld money is Jackie getting to spend on players. I know there's been a bit of movement but have there been any fees paid?

Very little Southpaw.  United were in a perilous state when Steven Thompson took over,  Eddie was a very successful business man, but a fan with money is always a dangerous combo.  Eddie inherited substantial debts following a disasterous spell under Jim McLean, and added to those debts by signing players and throwing money around.  ST has always said his priority is balancing the books, and to do that he had to clear the debt.  He has now succeeded in these objectives, and I imagine he will continue with the stellar youth policy and plough any subsequent profit to the youth system rather than make a late bid for a marquee signing, don't expect United to spend a million on Nicolas Anelka's wages any time soon.  The fans are demanding Shinne, who would command a transfer fee.....I won't hold my breath. 

In the aftermath of the cup final I read a facinating interview with Geoff Brown, where he scoffed at suggestions he 'bought' St. Johnstone.  He said he has never put a penny of his own money in, he raised finance and put Saints on an even keel and then stuck to the basic economic reality, and only used the finance available through the gates and crucially through community use, with sports and conference facilities.  ST will do the same at Tannadice, United budget for top six and no cup runs, I don't expect that to change....still a challenge for Jmac!

Edited by Smarmy Arab

Gauld tee total lulz. Its a well known fact him and the underage John Souttar spent most of their weekends outin Dundee getting pissed.

I'm afraid your 'well know facts' are utter b*llocks, don't listen to bitter Dundee fans who are usually behind such drivel.  First up Souttar is a bit of a local celebrity who is still short of his 18th birthday he is unlikely to get served anywhere in the city.  Farid and Gunning were the regulars in Fatties as was Dow, before he came back into the fold and joined the others in the Gym.  Gauld, Robertson and Armstrong are rarely seen in the nightclubs.

I'm afraid your 'well know facts' are utter b*llocks, don't listen to bitter Dundee fans who are usually behind such drivel. First up Souttar is a bit of a local celebrity who is still short of his 18th birthday he is unlikely to get served anywhere in the city. Farid and Gunning were the regulars in Fatties as was Dow, before he came back into the fold and joined the others in the Gym. Gauld, Robertson and Armstrong are rarely seen in the nightclubs.

That you saying Gauld only drinks at home?

Not true as confirmed by plenty Dundee UTD fans. They don't have any need to lie about it either.

When united took the field against Saints with 8 changes last Christmas, there were rumours the first team squad broke curfew and went on the lash Jackie was so angry he dropped everyone involved. I have had a useful source within Tannadice (who has always been 100% reliable) and I asked outright if there was any truth in this. He laughed out loud, shook his head and told me no such culture existed in the dressing room. These young lads are teetotal and focused on their careers, but there is always someone who wants to gossip, truth is Danny Lennon sent out his Saints the week before to boot the phuc out of United, and they did. 8 players picked up injuries in that and that fantastic run we had into winter last year came to a shuddering halt. Typical of scottish football though, everyone puts it down to the drink....anything but challenge the hammer throwing culture the continues to be ignored by some referees. I do not frequent nightclubs in the city, but I know a few students who work in them, that's how I know the guilty parties, and also know those who are unfairly dismissed as pyss heads. So I may be wrong, but the evidence I have is that these lads are not always out getting pyssed, but as usual, Dundee is a village when it comes to gossip and there is always someone wanting to stirr the shyte.

Not true as confirmed by plenty Dundee UTD fans. They don't have any need to lie about it either.

When united took the field against Saints with 8 changes last Christmas, there were rumours the first team squad broke curfew and went on the lash Jackie was so angry he dropped everyone involved. I have had a useful source within Tannadice (who has always been 100% reliable) and I asked outright if there was any truth in this. He laughed out loud, shook his head and told me no such culture existed in the dressing room. These young lads are teetotal and focused on their careers, but there is always someone who wants to gossip, truth is Danny Lennon sent out his Saints the week before to boot the phuc out of United, and they did. 8 players picked up injuries in that and that fantastic run we had into winter last year came to a shuddering halt. Typical of scottish football though, there are always those who put it down to the drink....anything but challenge the hammer throwing culture the continues to be ignored by some referees. I do not frequent nightclubs in the city, but I know a few students who work in them, that's how I know the guilty parties, because as a United anorak I ask, and I also know those who are unfairly dismissed as pyss heads. So I may be wrong, but the evidence I have is that these lads are not always out getting pyssed, but as usual, Dundee is a village when it comes to gossip and there is always someone wanting to stir the shyte.

ST said a wee while ago they didn't have to sell, strange they jettison their two best players. Good for QP as well who get £300k. Looks like a romp for us in the derbies now, and if Utd finish in the top six, a big if, we could win the league at Tanny. 

ST said a wee while ago they didn't have to sell, strange they jettison their two best players. Good for QP as well who get £300k. Looks like a romp for us in the derbies now, and if Utd finish in the top six, a big if, we could win the league at Tanny. 

We have just as good coming through Gorty. All kidding aside, where do you reckon the Dee will finish this season?