Is Steve Brown Qualified / Should He Go

byebyedundee

I'm not sure that bit is true Gav.  It is true of the hardcore supporter who will go anyway and has done for years but there needs to be at least a bit of enticement to new supporters.  The Cup Final itself was probably enough of an enticement to get 10,000 folk going regardless but I think the way club went about marketing that was great and we ended up with over 5,000 more.  Obviously not going to be talking the same numbers with season tickets but we could have had a few hundred more maybe.  

OK i have thought  about this long and hard and will answer the Questions,

1/

Was it that late?Plenty of time for new season really was it not?The may have been  a possibility of getting  forms out sooner but the Cup Final would have taken up a lot of the staffs time.I also feel that there is only so much you can do to entice people and if you want a strip/Season Ticket  you would get it anyway.

When the blue and white ticker tape was fluttering doon on our faces on May 17th . I never expected to read a thread about Steve Brown with the heading it has .! He became a legend like the rest of the "Team" that gave us that day in the sun after a mere 130 years.! He should be given total respect and faith from the fans .He is indeed "Qualified" when ye have a look in the Trophy Cabinet.! BTW.!BBD you cant get any better PR than winning that auld bit of silverware, and parading it round the City on a sunny sunday afternoon.!

Not quite. Yes he deserves some credit, as does every single person connected with saints, officials, fans, players etc.

Don't necessarily agree with all of what BBD says, but there is some basis for some of it. Since the cup final weekend, the organisation from our club has been found wanting I'm afraid. No, we're not a massive club with limitless resources, but if I'm being honest, I expected a better effort from saints.

Strip launches and season tickets have been pretty poor at a time the club should be doing everything in its power to keep the club in folks minds. (And I don't mean the hardcore fans, I mean the folk who pitched up to the final and need enticing back)

Overall, the club is run in the right manner, but there is things I'd like to see done better and no fan should be rounded in the BBD has for suggesting such, if not a little over the top.

Lark

Basically what your saying is that there doing a fantastic job in all aspects one point could of been better but to be fair it's fine.

Lark I do think it's okay but our support and motivation for the Cup was the people , the manager and the players not the chairman that inspired everyone to come along

Your friends at the club and board are good people and I'm sure they have the best interests at heart and I'm not doubting SB as a fan but as a front man with his terrible people skills and constant black cloud approach is exhausting for me to listen and I'm absolutely fed up with his downer attitude

I've never once been against Geoff and never will be however his son needs some proper guidance and that is what I hope he will get as he's the reason were probably 300 to 500 short of capatilising on our fantastic cup win

St johnstone is a bussiness and that I am glad Geoff has been in charge but he had good skills in front of the camera and commanded his statements.

And sorry but I was on a high when Muirton got sold so there is no issue with that era for me at all

Lastly let's see how hard your friends work when the pressure begins to hit as it will and you'll all be blaming the one man who has given us our cup win TW not dour face SB

I've just read the Courier's report of an interview with Steve Brown (11 July) the main thrust of which is SB saying we will not be buying "just in case players to sit in the stand".  I have to say I agree with that and everything else that SB is reported to have said.  I liked particularly

1.  His statement that our current wage bill is already higher than last seasons because the players who did so well for us have been rewarded,

2.  That wage bill stands to get bigger if May and Tommy Wright agree to enhanced contracts on offer,

3.  The plans to improve training facilities and to put more cash into the under 20s.

I did not like the reference to the SFA taking a 42% cut of the total Scottish Cup earnings, which would affect us most of all as we WON!!

It was interesting to see that 3 new signings would cost £170,000 which must mean we would pay £1,000 per week.  I don't think we would get Messi for that even after his poor World Cup.

In short I'm delighted with where Saints are at present.  I've supported them since 1946 and have always said I regard success as a top half of the table finish and a good run in the cups.  What will I be looking for this coming season?  A top half of the table finish and a good run in the cups!  Anything from Europe will be a bonus.

PS  One thing that stands out from the SB interview is that it was a mistake to sign Rory Fallon.

I think the 42% is not what the SFA took from Saints prize money (which was "only" £60k). I don't think they took anything from that - I think this is a misunderstanding, surely.

Staging the final would have cost a hell of a lot. I think what it means is that the total bill for that, plus the SFA's 10% cut, came to 42% of the total revenue. The remaining 58% would have been split between Saints and DU, with Saints getting a bit extra to represent the difference between the winners and runners-up prize. Plus they would have made mega-bucks from their own sales of memorabilia etc etc.  

Somewhere along the line Saints gained the impression that they were due £120,000 more out of all this than they were. This figure has no direct relationship with the 42%. It suggests either the SFA were a bit unclear in what they said, or Broon needs a new abacus, or a bit of both. Probably something to learn from when we play in the final next year.

It is routine for the SFA/SPFL to take a cut of the gate receipts of every single game played under their respective authority - nothing at all new in this. Someone has to pay the ref's etc.

So no great conspiracy - just some crap communication/arithmetic.

I think there are 2 very different streams of money for the cup winners.

Firstly there is prize money which from what I have seen the winners get approximately £120k as the prize fund rolls up £2k first round  £15k semis etc.

The gate money if the big one and I think it is that money that the SFA take a cut from. it would be interesting to see how the money is split. The SFA will obviously have overheads and rent for Celtic Park.

The prize money is almost irrelevant in the scheme of things. It probably added-up to less than Saints memorabilia money. My take Mainstand is that it does not roll-up, and is a flat £60k, although happy to be shown wrong on that. I don't know if the prize money comes out of the final revenue, or is covered separately by the SFA - but as they take 10% of the final profit anyway, it amounts to the same thing at the end of the day.

The real money is from your share of profits: income, overwhelmingly made up from gate and TV/radio rights, minus expenses, eg Celtic park, policing, VAT, all they balloons and fireworks etc.

The funny thing about all this is that when Saints took the field at 3pm on 17/5, given that all income and revenue was sorted by then, is that Saints were, in financial terms, from that point, playing for the difference between the first and second place prize money - which I think is about £20,000 - nothing, and probably all and more spent on winning bonuses cos we won. So actually, FINANCIALLY, it meant nothing FROM THAT POINT, if they won or lost. THAT'S why semi's are (financially) so much more important than finals.  

Anyway, means **** all. We won the cup.

Just to add. The SFA didn't pay for the final out of their 10% cut - that wouldn't have paid for the fireworks and balloons - probably literally. All income is chucked in a big pot. The costs are paid. The SFA took 10% of what was left, and then split what was then left between DU and Saints.

Right, this is tedious. Move on.

I think we were at Steve Broon is a chunt because he didn't buy some American a pint.........

Just to add. The SFA didn't pay for the final out of their 10% cut - that wouldn't have paid for the fireworks and balloons - probably literally. All income is chucked in a big pot. The costs are paid. The SFA took 10% of what was left, and then split what was then left between DU and Saints.

I think we were at Steve Broon is a chunt because he didn't buy some American a pint.........

I don't know Abernethy, there are an awful lot of balloons at the SFA.

Sorry to cause any confusion about this 42% cut.  What SB is quoted as saying is that Saints got £120,000 less than expected and in the same breath he says he thought the SFA took a 42% cut.  One interpretation of that is if £120k equals 42% then Saints must have got £165k.  But that is only one interpretation.

Just to add. The SFA didn't pay for the final out of their 10% cut - that wouldn't have paid for the fireworks and balloons - probably literally. All income is chucked in a big pot. The costs are

paid. The SFA took 10% of what was left, and

then split what was then left between DU and Saints.

I think we were at Steve Broon is a chunt

because he didn't buy some American a pint.........

Pathetic .... I really thought you would read the comments first

Texas......Niarchos, Onassis and Livanos are all showing interest in the take over proposal. Let me know how you are getting on with ExxonMobil, Chevron and Phillips66 ?  I hope nobody tells The Broons of our secret plan. Oh and I think we should drop BBD as our Chief Publicity Advisor :wink:   

BBD stays, we need his cunning distraction. Let me know when the coins arrive, 'around the world sailor' should be close now. By the way Exxon are in, they couldn't believe the amount of gas they see at this club! :wink:

No sure it is a sacking offence, but when to **** are st johnstone going to actually get with the 21st century and sell tickets online.........that is just one of the things which BBD was no doubt harping about.

Got the situation where can't / couldn't get thru to the ticket office (short of making it my days work to do so), and now hear the away end is "sold out" in Lucerne.... do i go, and risk being put in some shitty extra area?

or stay home and watch it on tv.....

saints suck hard as **** at marketing, tickets, pr, merch, and modernity

No sure it is a sacking offence, but when to **** are st johnstone going to actually get with the 21st century and sell tickets online.........that is just one of the things which BBD was no doubt harping about.

Got the situation where can't / couldn't get thru to the ticket office (short of making it my days work to do so), and now hear the away end is "sold out" in Lucerne.... do i go, and risk being put in some shitty extra area?

Could have phoned surely?

MYSpazz Sorry mate The Board win nobody cares about anyone being honest and truthful regarding our perfect Chairman who for the past 3 years has been absolutely fantastic and is 100% untouchable regarding comment.

Yes they have a prehistoric system and approach to caring for our supporters needs however thats okay because we are from Perth and clearly were not allowed to be pissed off...

Unless my fellow worldwide supporters rise and sell their Wall Street  Dow Jones Shares we must endure the most popular Chairman ever.....Who has single handedly gave us our first piece of silverware and no Chairman before him is near his capability ....

MYSpazz Sorry mate The Board win nobody cares about anyone being honest and truthful regarding our perfect Chairman who for the past 3 years has been absolutely fantastic and is 100% untouchable regarding comment.

Yes they have a prehistoric system and approach to caring for our supporters needs however thats okay because we are from Perth and clearly were not allowed to be pissed off...

Unless my fellow worldwide supporters rise and sell their Wall Street Dow Jones Shares we must endure the most popular Chairman ever.....Who has single handedly gave us our first piece of silverware and no Chairman before him is near his capability ....

I see you're finally coming round to Steve :)

Met a Saints fan today who to me has it wrong but hey ho!

He has sent back his season ticket, and says he will never be back

He predicts

Unrest among senior players

That Stevie May will not extend his contract

That Tommy Wright will not extend his contract, and his Angry with Stevie Brown

That Saints will be hammered tomorrow

That we will be bottom 4 all season  and close to relegation

I for one cant wait to ram every comment down his throat, iike the guy and cant believe his reactions to"No new signings" he does not think any of the youths can step  up and make the grade!I do

I only post this as it does show how Some are reacting to the news on Signings, or lack of them in this case!

I think he is Wrong

I hope he is Wrong

Only time will tell!!!

Unless my fellow worldwide supporters rise and sell their Wall Street  Dow Jones Shares we must endure the most popular Chairman ever.....Who has single handedly gave us our first piece of silverware and no Chairman before him is near his capability ....

-------------------------

BBD, the chairman is the owner's son and there is no debate about their impact on the club over the decades. i can't comment on him personally (well i actually think he comes across ok in the videos, perhaps a little nervous/ concious of his words being scrutinized), but behind the scenes it is like the Rotary Club mixed with the Masons and a Golf Clubhouse....AFAIC

If I were to make  a criticisim in relation to ChairMEN - father and son....it was the interview that Geoff Brown gave on winning the cup....he said, and i quote directly from it: "I only hope the people of the town now appreciate what we have done and turn out to watch the  team"..... it was the wrong moment to make that point and felt kind of bitter. That was his comment on arriving off the team bus back to mcd with the cup. Granted the media are fixated with our average attendances........

Many people have slated you on here for stating your view - but you are  a far away observer and occasional punter (the very sort of person Brown was hoping would 'appreciate' the team now...and commit some more dosh :).

Some of what you have said in the original post is salient.