Is Steve Brown Qualified / Should He Go

byebyedundee

for a few weeks there there was a lot of negativity ( including from myself ) but Broon has signed up Tommy and publicly explained the May sale so time to move on.

I would expect Tommy to be allowed to get a couple of signings. Its a shame we didnt get Dunne and Goodwillie , reckon we really would of been set up then with Muzza and Broon like 2 new signings ( fingers crossed ), If we dont get a couple of decent players then we can all go back to being negative again ! LAUGH OUT LOUD

I don't think he has to. Fans don't have a right to this information. We're paying customers of a business. Loyal paying customers but customers all the same. Shareholders have more of right to know what's going on but that's where it should end.

If there were any REAL worries about what was happening behind the scenes then I'd maybe agree but things are and always do tick over just fine at Saints.

Sort of disagree I think, but confused and not sure all in the same sentence.

I feel it is Perth's team, I feel it is my team, I feel it is my kids team. And hopefully my grand childrens team. And this comes from a pretty much non-paying customer.

Another episode passes with Brown's explanation of events and TW signing on - a good outcome all told

Unlike some, I have no issues with people using a forum to discuss their thoughts, whether their predictions / opinions turned out to be correct or not.

Long may we use a forum to discuss whatever issue / talking point / uncertainty comes along next, and continue to get comments that represent all sides of an argument

Edited by Edstar101

I think it is still too early to say whether SB will prove to be a good chairman. I do think he needs to improve his communication skills which previous to this statement have been poor. However it is good to hear his side of the Stevie May transfer story.

He is lucky lad having a father who can hand the running of our club over to him and I hope over the years he proves to be as capable as his Dad.

I think it is still too early to say whether SB will prove to be a good chairman. I do think he needs to improve his communication skills which previous to this statement have been poor. However it is good to hear his side of the Stevie May transfer story.

He is lucky lad having a father who can hand the running of our club over to him and I hope over the years he proves to be as capable as his Dad.

He would be a even better Chairman if he would only communicate

Mon Ross interview him.

Here is the article from the PA.

Stevie May rejected terms which would have made him the best paid player in St Johnstone history.

The 21-year-old Perth pin-up was officially paraded yesterday by Sheffield Wednesday after clinching a lucrative four year deal at the Championship club over the weekend – opting for the Owls rather than Rotherham United.

Saints have banked £800,000-plus for the prolific striker who came through the youth ranks to bang in 27 goals in his debut season in the top flight.

With his rock star image, straggly hair and wall to wall tattoos, May had become a cult hero with Saints supporters and played a key role in steering the club to their first ever Scottish Cup win.

Had he signed a longer term deal Saints would have been demanding much more from suitors from England. But yesterday chairman Steve Brown explained why his hand was forced by interest from the Yorkshire rivals when May declined to pen an extension to a deal which ran out next summer – leaving the club open to bargain hunters come Christmas, when he was free to talk to interested clubs.

Brown said: we made Stevie the offer of a longer term deal which would have made him the best paid player in St Johnstone history. He has been here since he was 12 but it was becoming clear that while he had enjoyed his time at the club last season in particular, he felt he had to evolve and develop.

Stevie is a young and ambitious guy like some of the managers we have had here. Guys like Owen Coyle, Derek McInnes and Steve Lomas all headed south. We didn’t stand in their way. When it became clear that was what Stevie wanted we couldn’t stand in his way either. We had sat down and offered him very good terms to exten a contract which was up next summer. Believe me, we did all we could to keep him. But the player wants to play in what is arguably a better division. Put yourself in his shoes and the next logical step was always going to be a move to England. It is as simple as that. And the fact is that we can’t compete with offers from the Championship, which is one of the richest leagues in world football. It could well be a stepping stone to the Premier League down – and hopefully it proves to be just that for Stevie. He is young and still developing and that has to be the ultimate goal for him. I’d also like to think he is on track for an international cap for Scotland. Its fair to say we’ve never been a club that gets recognised in that way. If he goes to England I’d like to think Stevie will fulfil his dream of playing for his country. And everyone here, the fans included will take pride in one of your own doing so well.

Brown stressed ‘Taking everything in account this genuinely is good business for the club. Of course we’d have preferred not to be in a position where we had to sell Stevie. But the reality is that if you clock his way you end up with an unhappy player, you delay it and it caused all sorts of problems within the club or you take the money now or risk getting precious little in the way of compensation further down the line.

It just the way of the world, Dundee Utd had to take £750,000 not so long ago for Johnny Russell when he had a year left on his contract. He was a full international when he went to Derby. I know Utd have sold Andy Robertson and Ryan Gauld for big money but they had been prepared to sign long term deals and they have gone to clubs in the Premier League down south or Portugal

We had no bids from the Premier League but I suspect that’s where Stevie May is going to end up sooner or later. I completely relate to the fans’ views. If I am sitting there in the stands I’m trying to figure out what is going on. Why are we not getting more than this for a striker we have brought through the ranks and who scored 27 goals for us last season? That doesn’t happen very often at this club and it was great watching him develop here.

But I have to work within certain parameters for the benefit of St Johnstone FC. The bottom line was that Stevie May didn’t want to sign another contract here. He wants to play in the Championship. So we had to dismiss our previous thoughts and focus on here and now.

The player had 10 months left on his contract and it was my duty to get the best deal possible for St Johnstone. There were no other viable options. When it became obvious the player was intent on going we had to think what was best for the club. In an ideal world we’d have been able to keep Stevie May but we don’t live in an ideal world. Now we have to look to the future and left here after Stevie May. And he goes to Wednesday with out very best wishes.

May, from Newburgh scored his first goal on his debut five years ago as a sub against Airdrie Utd and signed off with a strike against Spartak Trnava. He said ‘Leaving Saints is a wrench but last season was a great one for everyone at the club and I think we did ourselves proud in this season’s Europa Leagues so it’s a good way to bow out. I want to say a huge thank you to everyone at the club – the gaffer and all the staff, the other players, everyone else involved at the club and especially to the fans – the way they have treated me since I got involved in the first team has been unbelievable and I’ll never forget it.

Doss.

Wonder what BBD's views are now though.

Just the same. SB never bought him a pint or shook his hand .

Steve Broon needs PR/communication lessons . We know it , he probably knows it, but to be honest I wouldnae want to do his job.

Just the same. SB never bought him a pint or shook his hand .

Steve Broon needs PR/communication lessons . We know it , he probably knows it, but to be honest I wouldnae want to do his job.

To be fair though, while wright has signed on and we now know the may situation and in reality, got the best deal we could, Bye Bye Dundee raised some legitimate points at the time of the original post.

Like a developing player, brown will develop into his role and he will make mistakes along the way. There is plenty of things he has done right and plenty that he has to improve on, just like his dad before him.

The whole point of the forum is for folk to pose questions and give their points of views.

It has been a good week for saints, but there is still a lot to be fixed and plenty of lessons to be learnt.

If next pre season we are having the same debates, then BBD will be vindicated somewhat.

At the end if the day, we are all passionate about the club we all love.

There are obviously issues at the club, as there are issues in all organisations. Saints do social media really well now and I think that is due to a volunteer. But in exchange the frequency of adding up-to-date content on the website has dropped. It is clear from the accounts that they are not rolling in money, despite the profit, but some functions probably need dedicated staff and clear planning. Probably as there are more communication tools available, the harder it gets for a small organisation to look efficient, as someone will always complain that they don't do twitter, facebook etc

I'll stop rambling now

He would be a even better Chairman if he would only communicate

Mon Ross interview him.

I do agree that Steve needs to communicate more but there are certain points he couldn't come out and talk about. Saints have not really been a club to come out and say stuff during transfer negotiations/detailed contract negotiations and I would like it to remain that way.

I do agree that Steve needs to communicate more but there are certain points he couldn't come out and talk about. Saints have not really been a club to come out and say stuff during transfer negotiations/detailed contract negotiations and I would like it to remain that way.

Not asking for Chapter and verse, but he could keep fans in the picture

Not asking for Chapter and verse, but he could keep fans in the picture

It's not just the fans he'd be keeping in the picture. I'd rather he said nothing than let all our opposition know what's happening behind the scenes, who we're trying to sign etc etc.

Edited by Pat McGroin

Mods move this if this is not in the right place.

Just as an aside, I have just listened to Dean Hoyle, HTFC Chairman, give quite a frank interview on Radio Leeds regarding the players, departure of Robins, managerial and player targets without naming names, potential investors and sponsors and finance for more for over 20 minutes. He was fully supportive of Robins until Saturday and reluctantly came to the decision to mutually end the Manager's contract. He also said that they were competing at the right end of the table and could not, realistically, be expected to punch much further above their weight. That is not his first interview either and he had veiled criticism for the players displays on the pitch resulting in the departure of a manager he appointed.

The article Steve Brown gave in the PA is fine, as far as it goes, but targeting a wider audience would have been more effective and, before anyone tells me that Huddersfield is 7 times the size of Perth, I still feel the club could be more communicative at times.

That said, perhaps things are changing at McD.

Mods move this if this is not in the right place.

Just as an aside, I have just listened to Dean Hoyle, HTFC Chairman, give quite a frank interview on Radio Leeds regarding the players, departure of Robins, managerial and player targets without naming names, potential investors and sponsors and finance for more for over 20 minutes. He was fully supportive of Robins until Saturday and reluctantly came to the decision to mutually end the Manager's contract. He also said that they were competing at the right end of the table and could not, realistically, be expected to punch much further above their weight. That is not his first interview either and he had veiled criticism for the players displays on the pitch resulting in the departure of a manager he appointed.

The article Steve Brown gave in the PA is fine, as far as it goes, but targeting a wider audience would have been more effective and, before anyone tells me that Huddersfield is 7 times the size of Perth, I still feel the club could be more communicative at times.

That said, perhaps things are changing at McD.

Aye but does Hoyle have a secret seven