Is Steve Brown Qualified / Should He Go

byebyedundee

Thanks to Saintglenn for posting summary of questions.  It was good to see some information.

However it is pretty ridiculous that people have to find out about it this way.  A summary could have been provided on the website, promoted via twitter etc.  There is a certain irony in that many of the points raised relate to engaging with the fan base and yet the club are unwilling or unable to publicise this event and what came out of it.  Some of the answers given also leave a fair bit to be desired.  Nobody is pretending it is easy running a football club; that does not mean you can fob supporters off with any old response.  Many of them seem to show a certain degree of contempt for anyone daring to answer a question.    

It seems Ross will be very busy over the next wee while. We heard a lot more from him when he wasn't employed full time by the club in my opinion but hopefully that changes.

Which answers showed contempt?

Thanks for your support Eddie, I could do with more of that!

Not sure about my (limited) abilities though!

Well the fact that Edstar has backed your claim.. I will of course give you my sincere and public apologies however you do seem to be more accepting regarding our current board abilities which have clearly been rather pathetic

Well the fact that Edstar has backed your claim.. I will of course give you my sincere and public apologies however you do seem to be more accepting regarding our current board abilities which have clearly been rather pathetic

Not sure I'm accepting, I was merely reporting the responses interspersed with my own tempered thoughts. Its a fairly new and not particularly experienced Board, however give the info they offered, they don't have an easy job. I do agree that their PR and commercial sense could be much better though.

How do you know that SaintGlen isn't full of propaganda....

he's certainly being semi informative here but I have to say there is something not right about his response....

Dont believe everything you read rather than hear and see.....

The fact that he thinks Celtic dont have supporters meetings is crap as I know a couple of Celtic fans that have attended a very vocal but orderely meeting with the Chairman...Anyway Celtic are a bigger club clearly higher level.. To me there is too much of a hidden agenda and lack of experience on our current board...

Like I say he's a spy for the secret 7....

Did Glenn not shake your hand at some time?

10k is prob about right for a commercial quote on a new website.  However it is WAY more than Saints should be paying as it is something that could be used as a marketing tool for any freelance website designer.

There is today many freely available Content Management Systems which make making websites a doodle.  I have just redesigned one for the company I work for and the total cost was $59USD for the wordpress template and about a week of graphic/content work, much of which was made harder by the fact I was trying to understand the actual content.  (http://www.impact-solutions.co.uk/)

A well done site, with an ecommerce attached (plenty of open source solutions included in c-panel, which is usually a freebie in any webhost these days) can be done pretty easily by someone with decent knowledge.  I would want to see their spec for what they want, but I'd quite happily probably redesign it for £5k (and I dare say someone else would do it for a lot less) and help them keep it uptodate.  I used to do it for nothing after all!!!

Which answers showed contempt?

A number of answers essentially state "we've appointed Ross Cunningham, he can deal with it".  There is no statement or vision from the club as to how they intend to engage better with fans, what they see as the long term future or outcome of this.  Leave us alone, we have appointed someone to deal with it.  That is one example.  

I wasn't there obviously so I'm only reading your typed summary of it and might be wrong.   

10k is prob about right for a commercial quote on a new website.  However it is WAY more than Saints should be paying as it is something that could be used as a marketing tool for any freelance website designer.

There is today many freely available Content Management Systems which make making websites a doodle.  I have just redesigned one for the company I work for and the total cost was $59USD for the wordpress template and about a week of graphic/content work, much of which was made harder by the fact I was trying to understand the actual content.  (http://www.impact-solutions.co.uk/)

A well done site, with an ecommerce attached (plenty of open source solutions included in c-panel, which is usually a freebie in any webhost these days) can be done pretty easily by someone with decent knowledge.  I would want to see their spec for what they want, but I'd quite happily probably redesign it for £5k (and I dare say someone else would do it for a lot less) and help them keep it uptodate.  I used to do it for nothing after all!!!

can I suggest you contact the club direct then, to offer your services?

A number of answers essentially state "we've appointed Ross Cunningham, he can deal with it".  There is no statement or vision from the club as to how they intend to engage better with fans, what they see as the long term future or outcome of this.  Leave us alone, we have appointed someone to deal with it.  That is one example.  

I wasn't there obviously so I'm only reading your typed summary of it and might be wrong.   

Point taken. Presumably Ross in conjunction with the Board will have some sort of communications strategy to draw up and agree to help with this?

but would saints want to give work to a 'Far East internet bampot'?  :-)

seriously though, why say these things on here, write to the club instead....?

because  1) quite frankly I would have no idea who to speak too!  2) seriously, they didn't like me much when I ran the unofficial site 20 years ago!, and 3) until 10 minutes ago I had no idea they were planning on spending 10k to redo the website!

There is quite likely to be people who can do a better job than me for a lot less (read nothing - its not rocket science to do a wonderful job with wordpress, and If i was a freelance website designer doing an official SPL website would be a great marketing tool).  I am not by any means an expert on these things, just a hobbyiest.  I am pretty sure a simple tweet/message on their site/facebook etc saying they want to redo the website and would like input from fans with website experience/knowledge would yield a great result.  They just need to put it out there...  give me an email address and I'll email them saying just that!

(the fact I have to ask on here for an email address really says it all...!)

because  1) quite frankly I would have no idea who to speak too!  2) seriously, they didn't like me much when I ran the unofficial site 20 years ago!, and 3) until 10 minutes ago I had no idea they were planning on spending 10k to redo the website!

There is quite likely to be people who can do a better job than me for a lot less (read nothing - its not rocket science to do a wonderful job with wordpress, and If i was a freelance website designer doing an official SPL website would be a great marketing tool).  I am not by any means an expert on these things, just a hobbyiest.  I am pretty sure a simple tweet/message on their site/facebook etc saying they want to redo the website and would like input from fans with website experience/knowledge would yield a great result.  They just need to put it out there...  give me an email address and I'll email them saying just that!

(the fact I have to ask on here for an email address really says it all...!)

Jamie, can you assist Steven with an email address to contact the club?

Hi Glenn

Thank you for taking time to both attend the meeting and then post your notes on here.

Hellava lot of work fella and i for one appreciate it 

Thank you!

Thanks Lark, my pleasure. For the record I started work at 7am on the Thursday in Edinburgh, drove up straight after work, getting home at approx 10pm, then the same work pattern again coupled with a glorious 3 points the following evening!

All worth it though.

In absolute fairness, in general the questions put were answered much more fully than Glenn's brief notes suggest - with the suggestion being that parts of what was being discussed would fall under Ross Cunningham's remit. I suspect my notes are fuller than Glenn's and if I get a chance I'll try to expand on some of that stuff later - though there are 20+ pages of shorthand notes to go through so it may take me a while!

In absolute fairness, in general the questions put were answered much more fully than Glenn's brief notes suggest - with the suggestion being that parts of what was being discussed would fall under Ross Cunningham's remit. I suspect my notes are fuller than Glenn's and if I get a chance I'll try to expand on some of that stuff later - though there are 20+ pages of shorthand notes to go through so it may take me a while!

Thanks Jamie, my shorthand isn't up to scratch!