What A Shame...

bigstu

So if one man is a bit negative, then we've all got to walk around with a cloud over our head?

There is no cloud over heads, the guy has made a valid point, FFS, some folk need to get a grip, it's getting to a point where nobody can say anything.

AYE the club can do more, and fans have every right to point it out, doesn't make them less of a fan than anyone else.

Some folk need to take their head oot their erses.

Some fantastic ideas and yes at the Cup Final we enjoyed the fanzone and build up to the game, it was a saturday however and we were at the ground approx 2 hours before kick off.

While I think something on the astro along the lines suggested would be great, not sure thursday would be the best time to do it. For myself anyway it wouldnt be of much interest as I ll not be back in Perth from work til after six and imagine many others will be the same.

How many people are actually employed Full Time by St Johnstone to do these things as well, a lot of people who help out on match days will be volunteers/part time and probably working a normal day on thursday before heading to the game.

Was there not an open day with a bar/food and live music held on the astro not that long ago which although held on a nice sunny day had hardly anyone at, I remember being at it one sunday afternoon and it being fairly empty. I suspect they probably lost money that day. 

Well by that logic the Barossa and the Tulloch will be empty... 2 years ago we organised something at sportsters during the afternoon.  It was heaving all day... And that was without any entertainment.

The Tulloch have been promoting this event well, both online and through the press.  Barossa are also heavily promoting their event.  Don't want to get into slagging off the clubs marketing and advertising skills, but they have the biggest captive audience on a day such as this, if only they could work out how to capitalise on it.

I certainly didn't hear about the astro event the club held.

Waverly Vintners used to put a tent up for their do's at McDiarmid (although in the car park), which had a bar and a dance floor, what I think the OP is suggesting is we are missing out on potential income going pretty much directly to the club, less expenses of course.

The potential income obviously goes into the big pot at the end of the day for whatever purpose the board feels is most pressing.

However since we aren't doing anything along those lines we arent making anything from a potential revenue stream.

The caveat in all this is I have no idea how much the hire of a tent and staff would be, but I'm guessing you would at the least make your money back and a bit extra.

Now a potential revenue stream is going to two other competitors of SJFC.

Think the drink has to stop 30mins before the game starts.

Is there a wee competition going on about who can have a go at the club for the most things at the moment?  Every 2nd thread on here seems to be steeped in negativity - "nae new players"  "everybody that works for the club isnae happy with the Chairman" "There'll be a big crowd on Thursday - naw there winnae" "The club should have had an event organised for pre-game" - honestly it's depressing reading the forum just now.

Don't confuse negativity with ambition.

To be honest the club could have put The Rolling Stones on before the game and I would still rather drink in a pub with other fans, I want to arrive at the ground with not much time to kick off. But maybe thats just me.

Yep. The Rolling Stones are shite.

I actually this is a good idea although I would imagine it's not as straight forward as it would seem. I was at the start of the Tour de France and they had a big fan zone and that was sponsored. I imagine the Cup Final one was too. One thing is certain the club would have to feel that's they're going to make money. i'd imagine with the best will in the world that if we'd lost heavily in Luzern we wouldn't get a big crowd and it'd lose money. Not sure the club would gamble on that, especially as the necessary permissions take time to get and the people getting the permissions would have to drop what they normally do.

Why has no one pointed out that:

The date for the final was known months(arguably years) in advance. The club had known for what three weeks? that we'd be playing at home on Thursday.

Prior to the cup final EVERYONE would have been buzzing and they was always going to be guaranteed tens of thousands of fans from two sets of fans. Saints coulda lost 9-0 last week to a team that'd bring no fans and who the **** wants to hang about in a tent at McDiarmid drinking outside catering priced beer for a few hours before a meaningless game.

Tesco sponsored the fan zone at the cup final, which they'll have been able to write off as part of their community sports funding/charitable work. Saints have the owners on the front of the strip for what? The fifth year on the bounce , no one is gonna sponsor a fan zone for us.

Also as someone else has said, Saturday 15:00 vs 19:45 on a Thursday, there's gonna be a lot more people able to go on a Saturday.

Two saints related/supporting organisations are hosting seperate events, and I for one would much rather see new threads being started to commend them for their hard work and dedication to the cause, than the club getting slated again for what is frankly yet another totally unjust and petty complaint.

Edited by gingermunkie

The club has had the same notice as the Tulloch and Barossa street supporters club. I didn't think the thread was aimed at slagging the club off, I picked up that he was saying it would be a good idea for the club to try it so the money goes straight into their coffers rather than elsewhere, maybe I'm wrong.

But I agree, it's brilliant the Two clubs are organising these events, done mostly by volunteers, so hopefully both will be a massive success.

Exactly Paulo... The Tulloch and Barossa managed to organise something with short notice. 

I am really happy that they have organised these events, and they will certainly add to the pre match atmosphere for many fans.  I cannot find anywhere where I have slagged off the club?

I just said it is a shame that the club is missing out on more money that it could have earned from a captive audience.  Could go towards a wage to employ a marketing manager for the club? ;)

Yeah I realise Barossa(sp?) & Tulloch have had as long to know, which is yet another reason to praise them.

To be fair it's not necessarily the first poster that's pissed me off so much as the general attitude by many towards the club at the moment. We've achieved a fantastic feet(feat) on the pitch last season, but that doesn't seem to have made us as a fan base happy, the club seems to be able to do no right for doing wrong.

Probably could be noted as well that organisations that are run by volunteers can be slightly more flexible than the club can be. as the committee at Barrossa and Tulloch can(and I've no doubt they will be-well done again) work there arses off for a week/two doing silly hours for their love of the club and desire to pull off a great day. Club is bound by employment law and staffed by a small team already working hard to get the games arranged/ready for the season.

Well done again to all involved with organising the different events.

Edited by gingermunkie

Exactly Paulo... The Tulloch and Barossa managed to organise something with short notice.

I am really happy that they have organised these events, and they will certainly add to the pre match atmosphere for many fans. I cannot find anywhere where I have slagged off the club?

I just said it is a shame that the club is missing out on more money that it could have earned from a captive audience. Could go towards a wage to employ a marketing manager for the club? ;)

Sorry mate genuinely didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at you there.

Marketing and non footballing events manager, would be a great addition to the club!

Edited by gingermunkie

I didn't only mention alcohol...... Look at the family area at the cup final... No alcohol served at all, but it made for a great day, and I am sure quite a bit of money was spent. 

I am not in any way criticising the club, and if you know me, you will know I am not.

I was simply stating it is a shame having a lost opportunity.  As I said, there may well be a reason why this wasn't viable.

Nothing ever changes by staying the same...

Sorry, I wasn't having a go at you in particular and in all fairness your post was a lot less negative than some others on here in the last week or so.  I guess it's just the accumulation of negativity that got to me - apologies again.

Edited by jhq

There is no cloud over heads, the guy has made a valid point, FFS, some folk need to get a grip, it's getting to a point where nobody can say anything.

AYE the club can do more, and fans have every right to point it out, doesn't make them less of a fan than anyone else.

Some folk need to take their head oot their erses.

Am no happy we haven't signed anyone, I reckon the majority of our support will feel the same.

But we,re not allowed to say so.

Get real.

Both points taken on board John.  I was just a wee bit peeved with the amount of negativity that seems to be flying around just now.

I don't have a problem with the club not organizing anything here, its not their core competency. Good on the Tulloch for making the effort, this is what they do for a living, sounds like it will be a cracking event.

That is not correct St Johnstone as a business is an EVENTS COMPANY!