St Johnstone V Fc Luzern Thursday 24 July 2014

andrew

Glad we got into next round as we don't seem to have anymore pre seasons lined up & the guys looked knacked after 123 mins.

Cagey we have Hearts a week on Sunday. I suspect there will have been a couple of closed door games planned at over the next couple of weeks.

Cagey we have Hearts a week on Sunday. I suspect there will have been a couple of closed door games planned at over the next couple of weeks.

Was looking for a bite MS.

The fitness of the guys was tremendous. 3 weeks after close season in25deg heat & getting the run around for 123 mins. The guys are heros.

Andy

Aye, we will miss that crucial penalty!

simple question, even for dumb priques like your selves.....are we going to do it again? fuque up after the extra time and on the penos?

just Pop them blue pills and say Hi to the gang.....result is to be expected ( there isnt gonna be no extra time or penalties to according some

G. Mac might well score but will not avoid us from not winning tonight

bookies latest?

Andy, once you have dragged yourself out of your skunk induced hangover, hope you are gonna apologise to Montrose and also to Cagey for threatning him with GBH. We went to penalties and succeded despite all your "hazy" negativity. Man up and apologise to them  :wink:

Edited by AthensSaint

Still really buzzing.

Luzern to me were less than good Sports but they were helped by an incompetent Referee who could have nipped it in the bud.

They are a decent side but we worked as hard as we could and in the end football is about more than scoring a goal, it's about stopping the other team as well and whatever way it's painted over the two games we matched them and both with identical outcomes. That's no fluke.

When it goes to penalties it's more about a degree of luck and thankfully we were smiled on this time. The pain of Minsk was erased somewhat.

COYS!

Heroic effort from the whole team last night! Thought they were far superior to us technically, dont remember them missing a pass in the first 15 minutes and could have scored 3. But we wanted it more!

Once we got that goal ahead we looked far more relaxed, personally thought O'Halloran was MoM but looks like it was just me! He carried the ball out of defence seriously well that first half and give the team a breather!

Millar played very well up until extra time, then did give away possession at every opertunity. However he showed how much the team wanted it and never stopped running!

Brown was great, very impressed. Beaston was another one who didn't put a foot wrong!

Let's hope we can go at least one better than last year! Great night last night, long may they continue!

The referee was beyond bad but for me his blatant foul from behind on Fraz was a highlight and merited a yellow card at the very least.

Was actually surprised the ref didn't take a pen for them......

Great night again to be a St Johnstone fan. Thank you Steve Brown, Tommy Wright and all concerned. 

This has to be the best time ever to be a supporter of Saints.

Fantastic stuff.

I've been trying to remember the last time we won a penalty shootout but we've never won one at that level before. Five out of five is so good and they were close.

I've witnessed Scottish teams beating teams with Slovakian players before, yes when they joined up with their mates (enemies now) the Czechs. Evenwhen they  joined up together Scotland knocked out Czechoslovakia qualifying for the 1974 and 1978 World Cups. In between Czechoslovakia won the European Nations Cup in 1976 and so they were a very good team.

Another country, another venture for the club and after last night's result we shouldn't fear anything and just have a go. Slovakia will certainly be warm at this time of year.

Aberdeen's got a tough won though but these experiences are what you want.

I think the myth that McDiarmid is not an atmospheric stadium has been blown away by these European nights over the past three years. Sure once we only have 3,000 in the stadium its not great, but once we get 7/8,000 through the gate, the noise generated is fantastic.

Credit to the Swiss lads as well for their part in creating such a good atmosphere. Not sure where they get all that energy from to sing and dance from well before kick off right up until the end of the game, but credit to them for the way they supported their team. Wish we would see fans get behind their teams in Scotland in that manner, rather than just old guys sitting there shouting "Millar your pish" and "Oh for **** sake McDonald" for the whole game!

The referee was beyond bad but for me his blatant foul from behind on Fraz was a highlight and merited a yellow card at the very least.

Was actually surprised the ref didn't take a pen for them......

Great night again to be a St Johnstone fan. Thank you Steve Brown, Tommy Wright and all concerned. 

This has to be the best time ever to be a supporter of Saints.

At least he didn`t give them a pen on the 2 or 3 occasions that he could have.

Apart from the No 8 I am sure there was an occasion near the end when their player went down a couple of seconds after the ball was away & the ref gave them a foul even though it was doubtful he saw anything other than the guy going down out of the corner of his eye.

I remember Saints beating Partick in a penalty shootout against in the early rounds of the challenge cup in Maryhill after a 4-4 cracker -

Tue 30 Aug 2005 Partick Thistle A Sc.Chl.Cup D 4-4 MacDonald 63 (pen); Rutkiewicz 80; Dobbie 108;
Janczyk 119 1,466   Stats   after extra time, 90 minutes 2-2, St Johnstone won 8-7 on penalties