Could Saints Be In Trouble From Uefa?

saint-johns-toun

Decided on the West Stand for Thursday as I reckoned I'd be in trouble with my nurse for getting home well after my bedtime if extra time and penalties were required.  Travel rugs and wee cushions are OK in the WS although if your teeth fall out with excitement - like when Mannus saved the second penalty you have to be careful you are putting the right set back in as some of your fellows may have had a similar problem.

Anyway had a good view of the pitch "invasion" and having had the benefit of a good Perth education I would put the numbers at 100 tops - including the handful who came from other parts of the ground.  The vast majority of those did no more than congratulate the players and they also responded quickly to the requests to clear the pitch.  The UEFA rep may well mention the incident in his (or her!) report but common sense would say no action required as no harm was done.

Common sense being a quality that UEFA is not noted for my only slight concern would be why did the 7th Cavalry have such a heavy presence opposite the FCL fans?  If you know the make up of a McD crowd you should know that our more enthusiastic fans congregate at the North end of the East Stand.  They add greatly to the atmosphere but get a bit excitable when Saints pull off a minor miracle so more of the heavy mob might have been better deployed there.  Luckily UEFA are none too bright either so this fact may well escape them.

Edited by south inch

Decided on the West Stand for Thursday as I reckoned I'd be in trouble with my nurse for getting home well after my bedtime if extra time and penalties were required.  Travel rugs and wee cushions are OK in the WS although if your teeth fall out with excitement - like when Mannus saved the second penalty you have to be careful you are putting the right set back in as some of your fellows may have had a similar problem.

Anyway had a good view of the pitch "invasion" and having had the benefit of a good Perth education I would put the numbers at 100 tops - including the handful who came from other parts of the ground.  The vast majority of those did no more than congratulate the players and they also responded quickly to the requests to clear the pitch.  The UEFA rep may well mention the incident in his (or her!) report but common sense would say no action required as no harm was done.

Common sense being a quality that UEFA is not noted for my only slight concern would be why did the 7th Cavalry have such a heavy presence opposite the FCL fans?  If you know the make up of a McD crowd you should know that our more enthusiastic fans congregate at the North end of the East Stand.  They add greatly to the atmosphere but get a bit excitable when Saints pull off a minor miracle so more of the heavy mob might have been better deployed there.  Luckily UEFA are none too bright either so this fact may well escape them.

The intention of the fans on the pitch is irrelevant. United were fined for one fan going to the side of the pitch and celebrating with the players. I hope the delegate doesn't put anything in and Saints don't get a fine but if they were to be consistent then Saints will. Knowing UEFA that means you're fine.

Also strange to see the lack of complete and utter condemnation on here from some. I seem to recall comments on United shaming Scotland and yet the only thing that stopped there being a similar situation on Thursday was effective policing/stewarding. Hypocrisy on a football messageboard? Never!

Finally regarding the comments on United Mad, whilst I wouldn't defend many posters on there (I was accused of being an IRA sympathiser for suggesting people didn't know a lot about William Wallace) it is worth noting the main anger in that thread is with regards the treatment of the poster who was banned for celebrating with the players. It could have been Saints, Aberdeen or anybody when a simliar situation arose they were going to vent. They've vented in a silly way and some clearly have deep issues but that's true of all boards.

Well there is plenty CCTV. Get the evidence and get them hung. Worse, give them a season ticket for the West Stand and make them wear a tartan blanket every week. That should sort them out.

Realise your probably trying to be funny - but your outdated stereotype of the west stand is a load of Boll@&cks

Read this on that united mad....

Eh was at the game last night, in the away end, had a thing for Luzern since about 2002 so wasna going purely out of dislike for the saints.

There was at least 700 who invaded the pitch and attempted to make their way towards the away end, who would've kicked phuck out of the farmers btw, before being intercepted by police.

If UEFA don't slap them with the book eh will be raging after we got hammered for letting 20 people on in twa years. And only 1 got anywhere near the players.

Luzern are quality fans btw, think slask but without the smash up the toon attitude and general scumme

What a load of mince. if 700 saints fans attempted to attack them why did none of the police have to hold back any saints fans? Nothing like a complete moron trying to stir up trouble.

Also were are not being fined for it.. as predicted

Edited by PerthSeany

And your point is Bev?

that united fan walked on during the match.

several fans ran on the park in celebration after the match was finished, after a player celebrated in the crowd, it happens all over the world when matches like that are won.

totally different circumstances to the united match.

I love pitch invasions after big wins but we can't be doing it in the Europa league. 

I think we're incredibly lucky to get away without a fine. The circumstances aren't really that different to DDU and their fans will quite rightly feel hard done to.

As delighted as I am that we're not out £5k, my concern is that a few clowns will now think we're untouchable and won't think twice about going on in another Europa league match. We won't get away with it again.

Hope I'm wrong and we see yet more incredible scenes IN the stands tomorrow night.

Edited by angus-saint253

the circumstances are completely different.

during the match and after the match celebrations.

uefa fine any encroachment by a fan or fans during a match, not after match celebrations.

I am not saying it is right or wrong to run on after the match, just that it was blown way out of proportion.

I think you are having an argument with yourself here John, nobody is really getting at the fans that spilled out onto the touchline to celebrate with the players after the last penalty kick.  As you say these things happen and in the grand scale of things are generally not that big a deal aslong as the Stewarts and Police act quickly to get everybody back within the stand.

But what did have the potential to cause problems was the stupidity of a handful (4 or 5 maximum) of individuals who ignored the celebrations with the players and made a bee-line straight for the Luzern fans in the Main Stand. 

Whilst I agree that it probably has been blown out of proportion a touch on here, I still think the actions of this minority should be highlighted and denounced as unnacceptable behaviour. 

Yeah during the match is obviously worse, but it could have been offset by the fact we had 100+ on rather than 1. 

Personally I don't think it's wrong at all to run on after the match, particularly after a huge win. The fact is though, it could land the club in trouble and we need to cut it out on the European stage.

ridiculous over reaction from sections of our support once again. I'm sure UEFA have bigger fish to fry than a few farmer kiddies running on the pitch after a penalty shoot out win.

I would consider the leaving of your seat, then jumping the wall and running fully 70 yards across the pitch to goad opposition fans after winning a penalty shootout a slightly bigger 'over reaction' than a few fans coming on here to let their feelings be known on these clowns that choose to do it time and time again.

ridiculous over reaction from sections of our support once again. I'm sure UEFA have bigger fish to fry than a few farmer kiddies running on the pitch after a penalty shoot out win.

Don't think it's an over reaction at all - other threads full of angry comments about us not spending money on players, yet we're happy to gamble thousands on a pitch invasion? 

Wether or not UEFA should fine teams for it is another matter, but for the time being they do and we can't afford it 

Yep the bedwetters couldnae wait to get a post up on here thus highlighting the matter and possibility getting us intae bother.run along to mummy.

St Johnstone are the most inoffensive club and support in the Europa League.

We've had forum members on here over the last 12 months absolutely certain we're going to be fined/banned for a wide selection of misdemeanors but I'm yet to see a single charge from any of the bodies. Football is a spectator sport and things will happen from time to time, not least when we're on the most successful roll in our history, and it only seems to be our self righteous support who make a big deal out of it. I can't help but wonder if some of you would actually welcome a fine so it would back up your opinion that the young team are "scum" and aren't REAL supporters.

Get over it and enjoy the good times whilst they're here and let the Polis do their job.