Volunteers Wanted At Club 1St Friday August 2014

THE LARK SAINT

If you are free at 9am on Friday to help clean up after the Thursday game then Paul Smith would like to hear from you

http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk

I was up this morning in a braw sunny day picking up  blue and white  cards and other rubbish from the stands and car park

Some mess left after a game , especially with card display..

MODS Can this be stickied just now please

Edited by THE LARK SAINT

I noticed all the litter at pitch side later during the game and my immediate thought was the club would'nt be happy having to arrange the clean up.

Don't know if Saints did this in the past, but were there not arrangements for some of the prisoners from Perth Prison or was it possibly Friarton to come and clean up, would likely be accused of infringement of their human rights!

If you are free at 9am on Friday to help clean up after the Thursday game then Paul Smith would like to hear from you

http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk

I was up this morning in a braw sunny day picking up  blue and white  cards and other rubbish from the stands and car park

Some mess left after a game , especially with card display..

MODS Can this be stickied just now please

Sorry I couldnae make it I was blootered .still partying mind

Sorry, what does this even mean?

It means that the blue and white cards were not rubbish on the night of the game. The morning after the game st Johnstone, who charged 26 pounds for a ticket then felt that it was ok to beg for fans to get up and work for nothing when there are unemployed people in Perth who would have done it for a wage. Not content with that they are now begging for more free labour next week. I hope I was able to clear that up.

It means that the blue and white cards were not rubbish on the night of the game. The morning after the game st Johnstone, who charged 26 pounds for a ticket then felt that it was ok to beg for fans to get up and work for nothing when there are unemployed people in Perth who would have done it for a wage. Not content with that they are now begging for more free labour next week. I hope I was able to clear that up.

I don't think they actually begged for anyone to go and clear up next day. Nor will they next Friday.

Are you actually a fan?

Are you BBD?

I know you are, that was a stupid question, sorry.

I can't find the Paul Smith link, I only know that the original poster was talking about working on a voluntary basis, and wasn't begged or asked by anyone to go and help clear up the mess on Friday morning. The blue and white display was far from rubbish on the night, but would've certainly given a headache to anyone that had to clean it up next day.

The point I was trying to make is that St Johnstone FC is a business. When you buy a ticket the cleaning of the stadium between games is also included in the price.

If they are now trying to get work done for free because of the loyalty of the fans it is the beginning of a very slippery slope. That's all.

OK, so it might be expected that after £26 for a ticket you'd expect the club to sort out any resultant mess.  Having said that, in the past I've seen plenty people writing here that they love to be at the game but financial circumstances prevented them.  So here was an opportunity to get a ticket for three hours helping out.  No it's not a job, no it's probably not minimum wage value, but hey, no one was forced to go along.  You don't agree, don't go.  Simples.

The point I was trying to make is that St Johnstone FC is a business. When you buy a ticket the cleaning of the stadium between games is also included in the price.

If they are now trying to get work done for free because of the loyalty of the fans it is the beginning of a very slippery slope. That's all.

I take it you are quite young? I have been volunteering at Muirton/McD on and off for 40 odd years, never had an issue with it then and don't now.We are not Man U or who ever, and i see  fail to see the slippery slope with this, however if by this you mean  that 

One day Saints will be outside top 6 -Yep every chance!Saints will be relegated-Yep one day it will happen

Not a slippery slope for me though, just something that happens to teams like  Saints

But i will still be lending a hand , when i can, no one begged me though!!

They all got paid.. They all got a ticket worth ( probably) £26 for next weeks game. 3 hours work for £26. Just under £9ph. For picking up rubbish, that's a decent  wage..

So not free at all ( quite expensive actually)

They all got paid.. They all got a ticket worth ( probably) £26 for next weeks game. 3 hours work for £26. Just under £9ph. For picking up rubbish, that's a decent  wage..

So not free at all ( quite expensive actually)

Agreed ,Free ticket for Thursday, a braw time working with fellow Saints fans for the team you love, Dont see the big deal!!Well apart from thefolk that saw fit to rip cards   from display in shreds(Pain in the arse :razz: )

I really feel that Steve Brown should be doing this, why should a business depend on volunteers!

I am very vocal in my "St Johnstone need to make up their mind if they are a PLC or a Community club"..........but I disagree.

1. Fans received payment in kind at a rate above min wage (ticket price / 3...4 hours).

2. The card display was organised by the fans NOT the club

3. The club as a business would not choose to do a card display (but that's another point, e.g. stuck in the dark ages), so credit to them for agreeing to it AND then paying people in kind.

4. The club SHOULD invite fans to do as many jobs as they possibly can BUT on the understanding that fans are either paid in kind with tickets AND that the money saved from fans helping pro bono is divereted to Youth or 1st team playing budget.

The clean up was a great way for fans to be involved AND get paid/free ticket.

WELL DONE ALL INVOLVED... not least the card display folk!

This is one example of the club doing what i actually advocate and that is: inviting fans to get closer, to either own, or feel they own a part in the club beyond simply ponying up cash for tickets or buying merch. Doing something direct....cleaning the stadium, or putting up posters round town...working the turnstiles, selling programmes (against free entry) and so on.

Edited by MySpazz

I take it you are quite young? I have been volunteering at Muirton/McD on and off for 40 odd years, never had an issue with it then and don't now.We are not Man U or who ever, and i see  fail to see the slippery slope with this, however if by this you mean  that 

One day Saints will be outside top 6 -Yep every chance!Saints will be relegated-Yep one day it will happen

Not a slippery slope for me though, just something that happens to teams like  Saints

But i will still be lending a hand , when i can, no one begged me though!!

Of course I am young. 50th birthday 2 days ago. I actually thought that Saints were looking for people for next Friday to clean up and having already known about yesterday seen it as taking the piss. Having read it again I realize that I got that wrong. I understand the feeling of doing something for saints but I am still saying that if you do voluntary work for a business you are depriving someone of a job.

If i never had a ST i would gladly help out for an hour or two for a ticket , in fact if i knew about this before i bought an ST i would've taken this route .

Might no be so appealing hungover mind you.

Aye they'll be asking us to turn up with our boots next. If they ever do that my values are right out the window. imagine the queue :cool: