St Johnstone V Spartak Trnava 31St July

norwichsaint

Oh well it's all been said. Just wanted to add that the Young Team were absolutely superb last night. Had obviously picked up a few routines from the Swiss. We spent long periods watching them from the North Stand as a welcome distraction to the carnage on the pitch.

Still some room for optimism though. That's definitely the worst we can play. We just have to hope that was them at their best.    

I broke loads according to Stuart Caie

Dylan what was the altercation about?  admittedly i'm not the biggest fan of the way you and the group around you behave normally, but from where I was sitting in the North Stand, there was an altercation involving a couple of guys (not you that i'm aware of), tall guy in a maroon t-shirt tried to get in the middle and calm things down, which he did.  Next thing the police arrived and you and the guy with the maroon t-shirt were taken under the stand for a chat.

Can you shed any light as to why you were singled out?   looked an innocent party in what happened.

We played a team who were far quicker and far slicker and their pace really hurt us. I think everyone is in agreement our team was far below par their passing game was no existent. It is easy to blame this one or that one but remember most of them were in the Scottish cup team and they do not lose their ability overnight. This is my opinion on what went wrong last night. Firstly our squad is not big enough to allow TW to change things. I believe he has a problem with Wotherspoon, O’Halloran and Croft. All three of them play best wide right (all are right footed). Croft only has a right foot and it showed again last night when he refused to cross with his left foot. Therefore he will only be played wide right. So what does TW do with the other two? He has stated he wants a wide left player and an attacking mid field player so he uses O’Halloran and Wotherspoon. He is not sure who is better where hence he continually swaps them. He switched them at half time. In my opinion he needs to stop chopping and changing and give two of them a run in the team. We need to start to play it from the back. Last night it was all long balls. This is because it was successful for last season with May running on to them. When May is not in the team it does not work. I worry about our lack of pace in the midfield and at the back. We were woefully exposed with their runners; we looked at times as if we were treading water. In SPL it may be good enough for defenders and central midfield players being all blood and guts throughing themselves in front of the ball in last ditch defending but at European level they need to be fast, good passers and good tacklers one or two out of three is no good enough at this level. In my opinion we are playing above our weight but our togetherness and not our football saw us through the other ties. Look at Celtic, Aberdeen and Motherwell who were better than us last year, they have also struggled with the Scottish style of football in Europe. I have enjoyed our European adventures but my expectations are realistic and pleased we got this far and the opportunity to watch the saints in two home games. Now looking forward to a new league campaign.

We played a team who were far quicker and far slicker and their pace really hurt us. I think everyone is in agreement our team was far below par their passing game was no existent. It is easy to blame this one or that one but remember most of them were in the Scottish cup team and they do not lose their ability overnight. This is my opinion on what went wrong last night. Firstly our squad is not big enough to allow TW to change things. I believe he has a problem with Wotherspoon, O’Halloran and Croft. All three of them play best wide right (all are right footed). Croft only has a right foot and it showed again last night when he refused to cross with his left foot. Therefore he will only be played wide right. So what does TW do with the other two? He has stated he wants a wide left player and an attacking mid field player so he uses O’Halloran and Wotherspoon. He is not sure who is better where hence he continually swaps them. He switched them at half time. In my opinion he needs to stop chopping and changing and give two of them a run in the team. We need to start to play it from the back. Last night it was all long balls. This is because it was successful for last season with May running on to them. When May is not in the team it does not work. I worry about our lack of pace in the midfield and at the back. We were woefully exposed with their runners; we looked at times as if we were treading water. In SPL it may be good enough for defenders and central midfield players being all blood and guts throughing themselves in front of the ball in last ditch defending but at European level they need to be fast, good passers and good tacklers one or two out of three is no good enough at this level. In my opinion we are playing above our weight but our togetherness and not our football saw us through the other ties. Look at Celtic, Aberdeen and Motherwell who were better than us last year, they have also struggled with the Scottish style of football in Europe. I have enjoyed our European adventures but my expectations are realistic and pleased we got this far and the opportunity to watch the saints in two home games. Now looking forward to a new league campaign.

It's not over

Agree, the teams we have played in Europe are of a good standard and technically better, it's easy to forget that when we've had such a good run of things the past year or so.. I still think this tie is very much alive though. We know what they are capable of and we will hopefully have 2 of our stronger players coming back next week.

The one thing May gives, as well as a goal threat, is he runs constantly.. He would have provided a threat in behind them. Maclean likes it into feet or for flick ons, which no one was running in behind to get onto. It allowed their defenders to squeeze right up on us and take away the space to play in.

Second half we looked much better because the team had obviously been told to raise the tempo of the passing, and stopped going long every time. Spoony also provides a great threat out wide and he got much more onto his game the second half.

We've got good players but we've got a great team spirit, this team has overcome the odds a lot over the past year: rosenborg, aberdeen, won our first ever trophy, 3-1 down at home to the champions and turning it round in the last 5 minutes. And lucern as well.

We had a poor first half but surely that's not enough to write us off. Just think back to how it felt at Ibrox at halftime last April against an aberdeen team we hadn't even scored against all season. Everyone had us beat....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dyJXRru-KMM

Believe.

We don't have a squad big enough and was found out big time today. The fact Kane got his debut 2-0'down in a European tie sums it up really at the moment. Sad times considering what has just happened at the club but suppose we have to bow to Brown and what we can afford.

Will always say I'd rather have a club that pays what it can afford but just feel,it's sad we cannot sign a single player after the biggest moment in the clubs history

Keep believing in the second leg

Last night was dyer! Defence was poor they sat so deep. Midfield was very lightweight an McLean got no service which meant he kept coming deep to get involved. We missed hasselbaink. Nothing much in the way of back up on the bench an an inury or suspension ir two an we'll get found out!

Credit to the scoreboard corner who were brilliant from throughout the wrm up an throughout game.

I left before game finished as my wee lass needed the toilet n there was no danger i was taken her into the manky bogs that had pish all over the seats an filled with stale smoke.

Last night was dyer! Defence was poor they sat so deep. Midfield was very lightweight an McLean got no service which meant he kept coming deep to get involved. We missed hasselbaink. Nothing much in the way of back up on the bench an an inury or suspension ir two an we'll get found out!

Credit to the scoreboard corner who were brilliant from throughout the wrm up an throughout game.

I left before game finished as my wee lass needed the toilet n there was no danger i was taken her into the manky bogs that had pish all over the seats an filled with stale smoke.

And that was just the Ladies.

Any non-season ticket holders have problems with their seats last night?  I came along with my two U12 daughters, sat down in unreserved seats (even though we knew season tickets weren't valid), then got turfed out of them by a steward because some girl who works in the ticket office turned up with tickets with our seat numbers on them.  How does that work, surely you either go with allocated seats or you don't.  A half way causes nothing but confusion.

I witnessed a season ticket holder in the main stand arguing with a steward as his party had turned up at around 7.35 and, not surprisingly, discovered people in 'their' seats. The current occupants refused to move as by that time they would struggle to get the number of seats required together anywhere else.

For me, it should have been 'season tickets are not valid, therefore free for all for seats'

The clubs Half arsed approach did not help at all, especially say where a family of four maybe decided to give the game a go, not being regulars, not visiting the website, not reading WAP.....they turn up early, pay their money, get a bovril etcetc, then 5 mins before kick off some big hairy with half a dozen pints in them turns up and tells them they have to move

"The clubs Half arsed approach did not help at all, especially say where a family of four maybe decided to give the game a go, not being regulars, not visiting the website, not reading WAP.....they turn up early, pay their money, get a bovril etcetc, then 5 mins before kick off some big hairy with half a dozen pints in them turns up and tells them they have to move"

You almost described us there. In the ground for 645pm, pies and bovrils bought, then turfed out of our seats at 730pm. Wasn't a season ticket though. This member of Saints ticket office staff had tickets with our seat numbers printed on them!

That is ridiculous, to be honest. We saw this coming and fled to the North Stand. Apparently they also ran out of pies before half-time in most of the ground. But in the North Stand, we bought pies from some (lovely) lassies at 7.15 and were told we were their first customers. This is pretty basic stuff they are getting wrong.  

It's very amateur.

My two girls work in the kiosks and they're sick of being shouted and swore at because of stuff running out.

They and the people in charge have tried to say what they need but they just won't order anymore incase it doesn't sell out.

That's fine I guess with pies but they should never be running out of stuff they could stock up - Juice, Tea, Bovril, UHT milk etc.

It's very amateur.

My two girls work in the kiosks and they're sick of being shouted and swore at because of stuff running out.

They and the people in charge have tried to say what they need but they just won't order anymore incase it doesn't sell out.

That's fine I guess with pies but they should never be running out of stuff they could stock up - Juice, Tea, Bovril, UHT milk etc.

Shouting and swearing at the kiosk staff.

FFS. Some folk.