Tommy Wright

Highland Saintee

Why would anyone want a job at a club which sacks a manager after 1 game.

It wasn't one game. He had won 2 out of 23 and the fans were baying for blood. There was no passion on or off the field. That, of course, is not the answer to your question though. I am pretty sure you can work out the answer for yourself after you do some research.

Huddersfield have just sacked Mark Robbins. I hope Tommy is signed up quickly because I bet he, amongst others, will be on their radar.

another 2 bob no mark yorkshire club.here we go again 

get tommy signed up or these bangers will be looking for a very cheap replacement like mr may

So many Saints fans seem to be so in the know about the goings on behind the scenes at the club. I remember when TW took over as manager from Lomas and was in the press talking about how he understood the financial constraints at the club better than his predecessor and was happy to work with and support the chairman in ensuring the team was built within the budget the club deemed affordable.

Fast forward one year and all of a sudden it's not only a problem to Tommy Wright but it angers him enough to make him want to resign as manager with no other job to go to? All a matter of weeks after saying how much he loved it here and how settled he and his wife were in Perth? Of course he's going to try and push the chairman as much as possible for funds to improve the team. He wouldn't be doing his job otherwise. However I don't get this impression that so many others seem to get that there is some major breakdown in the relationship between chairman and manager.

The most depressing thing about the club so far this summer has been this bloody forum.

The way Steve Brown is going we will be like St. Mirren when they fell out with Alex Ferguson and lost him. I also think that we are the only club in the Premier League that would have let Stevie May go for as little money. Hamilton managed to get 1.2 Million 5 years ago for James McCarthy but he had signed a 3 year contract the year before.

After the Cup Final It seemed as if Tommy Wright and Stevie May were prepared to sign contract extensions, It sounded as if they would not be too hard to deal with and makes me wonder how little the wages increase offered to them was..

You have to trust your coaching staff and if you have a gem get him tied up on a long contract but unfortunately I do not think Stevie May was rated that highly until last season.

It seems that Steve Brown has now become more high profile than his father, in fact I do not remember in over 50 years of following Saints a Chairman being so controversial without sacking a manager.

There has to be a balance between business and football but at the moment it all seems to tipping towards business.

So come on Mr. Brown get Tommy Wright on an extended contract and give him the tools to do the job but most of all make him feel wanted by you and your board. 

The way Steve Brown is going we will be like St. Mirren when they fell out with Alex Ferguson and lost him. I also think that we are the only club in the Premier League that would have let Stevie May go for as little money. Hamilton managed to get 1.2 Million 5 years ago for James McCarthy but he had signed a 3 year contract the year before.

After the Cup Final It seemed as if Tommy Wright and Stevie May were prepared to sign contract extensions, It sounded as if they would not be too hard to deal with and makes me wonder how little the wages increase offered to them was..

You have to trust your coaching staff and if you have a gem get him tied up on a long contract but unfortunately I do not think Stevie May was rated that highly until last season.

It seems that Steve Brown has now become more high profile than his father, in fact I do not remember in over 50 years of following Saints a Chairman being so controversial without sacking a manager.

There has to be a balance between business and football but at the moment it all seems to tipping towards business.

So come on Mr. Brown get Tommy Wright on an extended contract and give him the tools to do the job but most of all make him feel wanted by you and your board. 

your McCarthy point seems to contradict the rest of your post

when is tw's contract actually up?

So many Saints fans seem to be so in the know about the goings on behind the scenes at the club. I remember when TW took over as manager from Lomas and was in the press talking about how he understood the financial constraints at the club better than his predecessor and was happy to work with and support the chairman in ensuring the team was built within the budget the club deemed affordable.

Fast forward one year and all of a sudden it's not only a problem to Tommy Wright but it angers him enough to make him want to resign as manager with no other job to go to? All a matter of weeks after saying how much he loved it here and how settled he and his wife were in Perth? Of course he's going to try and push the chairman as much as possible for funds to improve the team. He wouldn't be doing his job otherwise. However I don't get this impression that so many others seem to get that there is some major breakdown in the relationship between chairman and manager.

The most depressing thing about the club so far this summer has been this bloody forum.

Really could not agree more!!Well said.

Just because May said he wanted to stay does not necessarily mean he was easy to deal with during contract negotiations. If the club have a wage structure in place and May wanted more than the club could afford to pay him then that would put paid to him staying. It has been widely reported since he left that we did offer him a new, improved contract after the cup final. This suggests that It was him who turned it down. He wanted to stay, but not for the wages we could offer him.

There are certain Saints fans who are being highly critical of this situation and making flippant comments relating to us disregarding our very stringent wage structure just to keep May. People who don't go to every game because they simply can't afford to. Won't spend money they don't have to watch Saints but expect Saints to spend money they don't have to keep a player happy for another year. Not so flippant with their own money but expect our beloved club to be so with theirs?

Most of us aren't sitting with £1.5M in the bank. I appreciate that this is largely down to our prudence but I'd have paid him what he wanted on the agreement that he sign for 2 more years to allow us to cash in this coming January.

And what if he had a poor season next year and the offers coming in for him were less than what we got? Unlikely maybe but possible. Even Celtic lose players or lose out on players because they are not prepared to blow their budget to keep or sign them. Your viewpoint is totally delusional.

If it's true that he is now earning £10,000 a week then being a Saints fan, a Perth boy, saying he wanted to stay etc doesn't even come in to it. We can't compete with that and he's not about to turn that down. I also don't remember Stevie really saying he "wanted to stay". It was very much a case of him saying he was happy enough with where he was but it was clear he wouldn't rule out a move if it was the right one.

The fact is not a single person on this forum knows what the club did to keep May. I suspect they did all they could within their budget parameters and May's head was eventually swayed by the crazy money the Championship can offer and the platform that gives him to progress in his career. Nobody is to blame. Time to move on.

Just because May said he wanted to stay does not necessarily mean he was easy to deal with during contract negotiations. If the club have a wage structure in place and May wanted more than the club could afford to pay him then that would put paid to him staying. It has been widely reported since he left that we did offer him a new, improved contract after the cup final. This suggests that It was him who turned it down. He wanted to stay, but not for the wages we could offer him.

There are certain Saints fans who are being highly critical of this situation and making flippant comments relating to us disregarding our very stringent wage structure just to keep May. People who don't go to every game because they simply can't afford to. Won't spend money they don't have to watch Saints but expect Saints to spend money they don't have to keep a player happy for another year. Not so flippant with their own money but expect our beloved club to be so with theirs?

Spot on

I've just lost count of the number of promotions and wage rises I've given up because the boys I worked with were quite nice. Feck the future kids and my career and my chance to excel In the career of my choice and playing for Scotland  - Betty in the typing pool is braw. Am stayin.

Very good post. My personal favourite was a post a few days back saying Steve Brown or his dad should put their own money into giving May a better contract offer.