Tommy Wright

Highland Saintee

Is it short sighted to allow the number of broken things to stack up?

Perhaps, but not if we would have to go into debt to do it, which might have been the case.

It amazes me the number of people who think they could do a better job than the current chairman, under whose three-year leadership we have never finished out of the top six, seen our first player capped for more than 70 years, appeared in Europe three seasons in succession and won our only major competition in our 129-year history. All while recording our first - albeit modest - profit in what must be a decade and continuing to stay out of debt as other clubs collapsed around us.

Now some of that may have happened if he wasn't chairman. But if we're scapegoating him for a few bad results, I don't think it's unfair to remind people of just how well we've done recently.

I don't know Steve Brown, and I'm not privy to what's happening in the background at McDiarmid. I'd have liked us to re-sign Stevie May as much as the next person. There are, no doubt, things he could do better. But I do know he's not being paid for his role and he puts in a lot more hours at the club than anyone on this forum. I think we need to get some perspective. There aren't many chairmen of provincial clubs I'd swap him for.

Edited by Brogan

Perhaps, but not if we would have to go into debt to do it, which might have been the case.

it amazes me the number of people who think they could do a better job than the current chairman, under whose three-year leadership we have never finished out of the top six, seen our first player capped for more than 70 years, appeared in Europe three seasons in succession and won our only major competition in our 129-year history. All while recording our first, modest profit in what must be a decade and continuing to stay out of debt as other clubs collapsed around us.

I don't know Steve Brown. I'd have liked us to re-sign Stevie May as much as the next person. There are things he could do better. But I do know he's not being paid for his role and he puts in a lot more hours at the club than anyone on this forum. I think we need to get some perspective. There aren't many chairmen of provincial club's I'd swap him for.

It amazes me the number of people who think the club should be exempt from criticism.

It amazes me the number of people who think the club should be exempt from criticism.

I think you're polarising this unnecessarily. Like you, I bought extra season tickets this year (though more because I thought that the club deserved the support, rather than in expectation). And like you, I can't say I've had unqualified enjoyment: a couple of miserable home games do a lot to lengthen our 100-mile round trip to McDiarmid. But set against that the early highlights: the win v Luzern in front of a near-full house is something I'll cherish. And it's still early in the season; there will be more highs and lows. 

My point was simply a plea to keep things in perspective. I think the club could do a lot better, but that sits inside a broader appreciation of how we measure up against other clubs our size. And on one particular point, otherwise valid criticism of the club for not keeping up the feelgood factor over the summer sits uneasily with me if those critics do just as much on here to dampen enthusiasm.

I think you're polarising this unnecessarily. Like you, I bought extra season tickets this year (though more because I thought that the club deserved the support, rather than in expectation). And like you, I can't say I've had unqualified enjoyment: a couple of miserable home games do a lot to lengthen our 100-mile round trip to McDiarmid. But set against that the early highlights: the win v Luzern in front of a near-full house is something I'll cherish. And it's still early in the season; there will be more highs and lows.

My point was simply a plea to keep things in perspective. I think the club could do a lot better, but that sits inside a broader appreciation of how we measure up against other clubs our size. And on one particular point, otherwise valid criticism of the club for not keeping up the feelgood factor over the summer sits uneasily with me if those critics do just as much on here to dampen enthusiasm.

I didn't buy extra season ticket's out of expectation. I bought them because the team deserved extra support and I wanted to give that. The reaction on here of a few people towards the club's performance over the summer is not the same imo and will not have had anywhere as much of an effect as the negativity from Steve Brown.

And if its a 100 mile round trip from Muirton then your doing something wrong ;)

My point was simply a plea to keep things in perspective. I think the club could do a lot better, but that sits inside a broader appreciation of how we measure up against other clubs our size. 

I think the fans, and the club itself, under estimate where we sit in the pecking order of Scottish football, tbh. We're utterly determined to play ourselves down despite the fact we've got masses of unfulfilled potential waiting for someone to unleash it. We always seem to reach a watershed moment on the verge of unlocking it before retreating because we've got this belief we're a small side in our head. We've spent the majority of the last 25 years in the top league, with exactly half of our time in the top league seeing us finish in the top half. We should be ranking ourselves beside the likes of Kilmarnock and Motherwell instead of the likes of Falkirk and Livingston

We were the third worst supported team in the Premier League last season, despite having one of our best seasons ever and having probably the most exciting young player we've ever produced playing. 

We have surely out-performed Killie just about every season since we came back up.  As well as Dundee, St Mirren, Hibs, Partick Thistle and other clubs who are bigger than us in terms of support and, potentially, budget.

The chairman had a shocker close season, and the fact that the manager only now has his squad, and is still trying to establish his best team in the start of October, is testament to that.  But no amount of moaning about it can change anything;  hopefully the chairman has learned from this and we won't have to go through it again.

faddy played 40 games last season

Between October 2011 and the 19th of May 2014, McFadden only started 34 games and made 16 substitute apperances. His last competitive game was nearly five months ago. I am not saying that McFadden is a poor signing, far from it, but Steve Browns messing about in the summer meant that Tommy Wright has been left trawling the free agents list. Bringing in a free agent at this time of the season is always a risk and it was evident on Saturday that it is a going to take a good number of weeks to get McFadden up to match fitness.

Now, if Steve Brown had backed Tommy Wright in the summer and brought in his number one target, David Goodwillie, then we would have had a striker, who all being well, who would have had a full pre season behind him, had the opportunity to build a rapport with his teammates and develop an understanding of what the management team expect from him. Goodwillie has scored three times for Aberdeen this season and has made three assists. Many are already talking about him rediscovering his from from his first spell at Dundee United. He is only 25 and if he continues in the same vein of form, then Aberdeen will have an asset on their hands who they could sell for a considerable sum.

Between October 2011 and the 19th of May 2014, McFadden only started 34 games and made 16 substitute apperances. His last competitive game was nearly five months ago. I am not saying that McFadden is a poor signing, far from it, but Steve Browns messing about in the summer meant that Tommy Wright has been left trawling the free agents list. Bringing in a free agent at this time of the season is always a risk and it was evident on Saturday that it is a going to take a good number of weeks to get McFadden up to match fitness.

Now, if Steve Brown had backed Tommy Wright in the summer and brought in his number one target, David Goodwillie, then we would have had a striker, who all being well, who would have had a full pre season behind him, had the opportunity to build a rapport with his teammates and develop an understanding of what the management team expect from him. Goodwillie has scored three times for Aberdeen this season and has made three assists. Many are already talking about him rediscovering his from from his first spell at Dundee United. He is only 25 and if he continues in the same vein of form, then Aberdeen will have an asset on their hands who they could sell for a considerable sum.

I'd be very surprised if any English club would pay money for badfanny after his horrendous 3yrs down south.

Its an unfair comparison in that at the time of looking at him we still had hopes of keeping may. Faddy was only signed due to MacLean's injury , tommys choice to send Kane onloan and morgans lack of impact

I'd be very surprised if any English club would pay money for badfanny after his horrendous 3yrs down south.

Its an unfair comparison in that at the time of looking at him we still had hopes of keeping may. Faddy was only signed due to MacLean's injury , tommys choice to send Kane onloan and morgans lack of impact

Sure Goodwillie was not a success at Blackburn, but there was several reasons behind that. Firstly the rape allegation was hanging over his head and secondly Blackburn were in absolute chaos going through several new managers. Just because it dosent work out for a player at one club, dosent mean that his career is finished. If Goodwillie scores 15 to 20 goals this season, then clubs from England and Scotland will be trying to get him signed up, if he dosent sign an extension to his one year deal at Aberdeen.

I wasnt comparing Goodwillie and McFadden as such. I was merely pointing out that I believe Steve Browns lack of ambition in the summer is costing us now, in that signing players at this stage of the season is always a gamble and fitness will always be an issue as most free agents will likely not have played any competitive football since the end of the last campaign.

Dg attracts off field trouble himself. Blackburns chaos didn't effect Rhodes. He also went on loan to palace Utd n Blackpool all were disastrous. He'd need to have an outstanding 2/3 seasons for English clubs to pay money for him.

We only were looking for free agents late on because macca got injured

I'm pretty sure the Ryder Cup thing isn't the case.

I don`t know but there have been figures from £40 to £200 grand quoted on here. I am sure they also charge £5 to park which should over the season,amount to enough to pay for a few tarmac patches.

Signing Lappin and McFadden at the beginning of June would've looked like two massive coups for the club. Because we waited until the arse end of the window and after, they look like panic buys and they're still trying to get up to pace. It's all in the perception/time and that's why not signing players earlier in the window has hurt us so much. At least Graham came to us having played matches all pre-season.

I really feel for Tommy - his interviews don't come across anywhere near as happy as they did last season, nor as enthusiastic. I hope he can pull that back as I think that reflected on the players' performances last year.

I would put the fact that we were the third worst supported team down to decades of promising teams....some better than the team we have now....failing to deliver!

Along with this and in my time watching Saints I have had to watch as my team were on the brink of achieving success, but had it snatched away!

Some and many of these matches/results were what made supporting Saints in a winning final even more enjoyable, but that result like so many others should have come long before now!

Too often.. and let's be honest St Johnstone FC were a let down at critical times, big crowd, semi finals, playing teams they were more than capable of beating and they lost all of them, probably more losses than wins, that's why we cannot build our support because too often we've let them down.

This is a season to kick on and show some/most of the 15,000 that Saints can achieve, well that's what we all hope!

We were the third worst supported team in the Premier League last season, despite having one of our best seasons ever and having probably the most exciting young player we've ever produced playing. 

We have surely out-performed Killie just about every season since we came back up.  As well as Dundee, St Mirren, Hibs, Partick Thistle and other clubs who are bigger than us in terms of support and, potentially, budget.

The chairman had a shocker close season, and the fact that the manager only now has his squad, and is still trying to establish his best team in the start of October, is testament to that.  But no amount of moaning about it can change anything;  hopefully the chairman has learned from this and we won't have to go through it again.

Beginning to think some of you are on drugs, like. Sticky spell in the league, bit like during ....oh, every season since 1884.

I spend a lot of time on investment and business sites, and have never come across a single person on any of those with anything close to the astounding intuitive insight into how to run a business successfully that so many on here have. Presumably yer all millionaires.

Fek sake calm doon. My prediction was 6th in the league, good run in the League Cup, shite in the Scottish. In other words, another stunningly successful season for wee Saints and the Broons. Pretty much on course so far.

Perfectly happy so far. When we're dodging the play-offs in the bottom of the Championship in years toccome, are you folk going to emigrate? Commit suicide? Explode in a huge crimson cloud of righteous indignation because "we didn't replace May". How in holy fek is St Johnstone supposed to buy a like-for-like replacement for a million pound player?

Dearie me.....

Because we come from Perthshire, with a core fan-base of around 3,000. We will not ever be more successful than we have been in the last few seasons, and our fan-base is still 3,000.

There is an argument to be made that Saints have been the 2nd most successful Scottish team over the last 3 years. Even the most devoted cynic will admit to us being in the top 3 - 5. The only team to have a truly valid claim to have done better is Celtic. So, "kicking on" means challenging Celtic. SERIOUSLY????

Another interpretation of "kicking on" is maybe becoming an Aberdeen or DU. Never relegated, always there in the cups. Impossible with our fan base. Where, seriously, do you think Ross County and Hamilton Accies (Blessed be their name - heros) will be in five years?

Any of you who think Stevie Broon is setting the strategy is a major league numptie. The old geezer - who, incidentally, is still the owner - is calling the shots on overall strategy. What is happening now will determine whether we survive when we get relegated in 1,3 or 5 years time. Which will happen because our fan base is 3,000.

All this utter bollocks about it would all be fine if we'd bought this player we could never afford, or didn't hire a PRInternetGeneralmanagercarparkmender is just utter, utter bollocks.

The SJ company strategy is a model - not should be - IS a model -of how a tiny business, that can never be a large business - BECAUSE OUR FAN BASE IS 3,000 - can, nevertheless, be successful.

Enjoy it fer **** sakes. These are golden, golden times.