Stevie May

Hardolez21

As Kyle says, if the money's right, we'll accept. Around about £1m will be the right answer....then it's up to the man himself to decide he wants to play for Rotherham or not..

I think you lot seriously underestimate how highly this owner, chairman, board and club rate Mr Steven May. If you seriously think Steve Brown would accept £1million you need your head checked. Geoff Brown would disown him if he even ran it past his dad.

Stevie May is probably a £3millon(+) football player in the current transfer climate. Given that he plays for Saints and not world beaters Celtic or trendy Dundee United he is probably worth £1.8-£2million. Let me ask you a question, if we were to announce the team for tonights match right now who would you rather have starting alongside Maclean: Tony Watt (£1.2million), Nadir Cifti(reportedly £1million), David Goodwillie(£2million +) or Stevie May. I know who I think out of those has the biggest chance of becoming an International and Premiership striker.

This club has spent far too much time, money and passion on Stevie May to accept £1million from anyone!!

Hi guys.

Thanks to those who've been welcoming, to the others who've been abrasive, it's understandable and I apologise if I came across wrong.

At the end of the day I have nothing against your club, not have I ever seen Steve May kick a ball, all I know is our club are heavily linked with him and the bookies have made us 2/1 favourites. As I said earlier we have 4 strikers so don't think we need him but Steve Evans clearly wants him and if you turn down 1m I'm sure that'll be our interest over with.

Hi guys.

Thanks to those who've been welcoming, to the others who've been abrasive, it's understandable and I apologise if I came across wrong.

At the end of the day I have nothing against your club, not have I ever seen Steve May kick a ball, all I know is our club are heavily linked with him and the bookies have made us 2/1 favourites. As I said earlier we have 4 strikers so don't think we need him but Steve Evans clearly wants him and if you turn down 1m I'm sure that'll be our interest over with.

You never came across wrong at all mate, like most fan forums we to have our own bunch of complete f*cktards.  Just ignore them, thats what the majority of us sensible contributors generally do.

In my opinion you asked a sensible question in a polite manner that deserved to be answered in the same way.

Hi guys.

Definitely didn't come across wrong. 

Enjoy the season, hand off Stevie! ;)

You never came across wrong at all mate, like most fan forums we to have our own bunch of complete f*cktards.  Just ignore them, thats what the majority of us sensible contributors generally do.

In my opinion you asked a sensible question in a polite manner that deserved to be answered in the same way.

Cheers pal, it happens, we have them on our site as well. I know some fans down here seem to view scottish football badly but from what I've seen it's not drastically different from ours, just the tv coverage that differs really isn't it? How are Nicky Law and Lionel Ainsworth getting on in your league? Played for us in last few years but let them go, would like to think they're still scoring. 

I think this thread really just highlights how little grip we as fans have on the board and the chairman's position on transfers and finances.  I'd love to think May is worth £2.5m, but do any of us honestly know what SB thinks he is worth?  Despite our increased profile from the Scottish Cup win and beating quality opposition last week in Europe, I don't think SB sees us differently from a potential yo-yo club enjoying a freak period of success, which really worries me.

I hope he proves me wrong, but in the interim, I would think a bid of £1m and £10k a week for the player would ask some serious questions that many of us would be intrigued to know the answer to as well as you. 

Cheers pal, it happens, we have them on our site as well. I know some fans down here seem to view scottish football badly but from what I've seen it's not drastically different from ours, just the tv coverage that differs really isn't it? How are Nicky Law and Lionel Ainsworth getting on in your league? Played for us in last few years but let them go, would like to think they're still scoring. 

Nicky Law sold his soul and ambition and moved to rangers/sevco after a good two seasons with Motherwell. He did very little last season against part time teams will be interesting to see how he handles the championship. Interestingly, or not, his brother now plays for Motherwell.

Lionel Ainsworth was superb the few times I saw him last season and scored quite a few goals for Motherwell.

We've had a few guests on from other clubs chasing Stevie. Most were braw, like yourself. Some were not good ambassadors for club nor country. Sorry if you got tainted with that brush.

Scottish football is bust - no Sky money - so players like May, who should be going for £3m plus, are going for much less. The other thing is, loads of young Scots players are being lured south by what to us is huge wages (pennies to you guys). They sit on the bench for a year, or get loaned out, and then return home with their careers seriously damaged. All ends up with a lot of frustration for fans. A couple of Dundee United players though have just gone for serious money - that has changed the context a lot, and Saints may now hang out for more.

Our Chairman is not letting our manager sign any players. £1m would change that (hopefully!) But we're a very well run club, and in no need of a fire-sale.

It's all a bit complicated. Basically, we haven't got any more clue than you whether he'll go, when, and for how much!!!

Nicky Law sold his soul and ambition and moved to rangers/sevco after a good two seasons with Motherwell. He did very little last season against part time teams will be interesting to see how he handles the championship. Interestingly, or not, his brother now plays for Motherwell.

Lionel Ainsworth was superb the few times I saw him last season and scored quite a few goals for Motherwell.

Nicky was a strange one for us, definitely had the potential for good things and had raw talent, however he was lazy and it really doesn't surprise me that he dropped down just for more money. Lionel was different, he worked hard and could strike a ball brilliantly but he struggled for us in league 2, I guessed the physical long ball style hindered his play. Glad he's doing well now. Mentioned earlier we have Arnason, not sure how he did for Aberdeen but since he's been with us, he's been classy, skillful and always seems to be ahead of the players around him...however can become over confident and make a blunder from time to time. 

I thought Arnason was decent for Aberdeen, and the little I endured of The Rangers last season, Nicky Law was about their best player, but then they were playing against part time opposition so it's very hard to gauge.  Sometimes good players play better against good opposition and look dire against poor teams.

May is certainly a class above both though.

We've had a few guests on from other clubs chasing Stevie. Most were braw, like yourself. Some were not good ambassadors for club nor country. Sorry if you got tainted with that brush.

Scottish football is bust - no Sky money - so players like May, who should be going for £3m plus, are going for much less. The other thing is, loads of young Scots players are being lured south by what to us is huge wages (pennies to you guys). They sit on the bench for a year, or get loaned out, and then return home with their careers seriously damaged. All ends up with a lot of frustration for fans. A couple of Dundee United players though have just gone for serious money - that has changed the context a lot, and Saints may now hang out for more.

Our Chairman is not letting our manager sign any players. £1m would change that (hopefully!) But we're a very well run club, and in no need of a fire-sale.

It's all a bit complicated. Basically, we haven't got any more clue than you whether he'll go, when, and for how much!!!

I doubt you'll get many big time charlies supporting us. 3 administrations, 3 stadiums and minus 37 points in 4 years makes you quite humble. However find ourselves in the Championship (maybe punching above our weight admittedly) with Steve Evans who is a fantastic manager and a chairman that wants the premiership. £1m is a hell of lot of money to us, our record signing until recently was 150k. If we sign May I'd be delighted because from his stats he looks a great player for his age (needs a haircut) but if your chaiman wants 2.5 M then that's way out of our league. 

The money Aberdeen handed Arnason (reported 4k) they and the rest of the league were expecting a dominating, classy midfielder who was a step up from everyone on the league. The reality was he was bang average and wouldn't look out of place at the bottom of the league. Funny how that works isn't it, he's now apparently a brilliant League 1 and potentially Championship player. Wouldn't have him in saints midfield after the start we've had that's for sure.

The money Aberdeen handed Arnason (reported 4k) they and the rest of the league were expecting a dominating, classy midfielder who was a step up from everyone on the league. The reality was he was bang average and wouldn't look out of place at the bottom of the league. Funny how that works isn't it, he's now apparently a brilliant League 1 and potentially Championship player. Wouldn't have him in saints midfield after the start we've had that's for sure.

Weird thing is we've never played him in midfield. With Frecklington, Newton, Tidser, Milsom and Pringle, there's no room for him. So had to stick him at CB and after 2 successive promotions I'd say it's worked. Apparently we offered him more so would guess he's on about 5/6k a week with us. 

I think you lot seriously underestimate how highly this owner, chairman, board and club rate Mr Steven May. If you seriously think Steve Brown would accept £1million you need your head checked. Geoff Brown would disown him if he even ran it past his dad.

Stevie May is probably a £3millon(+) football player in the current transfer climate. Given that he plays for Saints and not world beaters Celtic or trendy Dundee United he is probably worth £1.8-£2million. Let me ask you a question, if we were to announce the team for tonights match right now who would you rather have starting alongside Maclean: Tony Watt (£1.2million), Nadir Cifti(reportedly £1million), David Goodwillie(£2million +) or Stevie May. I know who I think out of those has the biggest chance of becoming an International and Premiership striker.

This club has spent far too much time, money and passion on Stevie May to accept £1million from anyone!!

I don't particularly disagree with any of that but he's only worth what a buying club will pay. Right now, with one year left, I think we'd get a £1m...signs a contract and has another year like last year and it's more than doubled.

Lets get the sensible heads on, an offer of £750,000 - £1,000,000 would be taken by the club. I would imagine the most May is going to get here is £3,000 per week (£156,000 a year) If he was offered £10,000 per week (£520,000 a year) on a 3 year contract that would be £1,560,000. He would be in the English shop window while setting himself up finacially and he would only 24 when the contract ended. Now who here would turn down such a rise in the salary. A better offer than that may not come before the transfer window closes. I believe he will go if these terms were offered. But at the moment nothing has been and it is all hypothetical until an offer comes in.

Lets get the sensible heads on, an offer of £750,000 - £1,000,000 would be taken by the club. I would imagine the most May is going to get here is £3,000 per week (£156,000 a year) If he was offered £10,000 per week (£520,000 a year) on a 3 year contract that would be £1,560,000. He would be in the English shop window while setting himself up finacially and he would only 24 when the contract ended. Now who here would turn down such a rise in the salary. A better offer than that may not come before the transfer window closes. I believe he will go if these terms were offered. But at the moment nothing has been and it is all hypothetical until an offer comes in.

There is no way we will pay Stevie May or any other player 3k per week.

I've followed this forum and Stevie May for a while now, and posted on the other thread a while ago.

£1M, we could afford.  £10k a week, no way.  There is no chance of us paying anyone that kind of wage.  If he was to join us, he would be on £6k a week at the most.  We've signed Jordan Bowery, who made Premiership appearances last season for Aston Villa, who is on nowhere near £10k a week.

The fact is, I think the pressure is on Steve Evans to sign him.  If he were to sign for another Championship side, and do well, we would have certainly missed the boat.  Brentford have gone up, who are arguably a smaller club, and have spent £3M, so I think we are obliged to make a 'statement' signing.  And also, the fact that he looks a damn fine prospect and the saga has been ongoing for a year.

A likely scenario is that we bargain a deal for the player, don't agree personal terms, and he joins a team like Wigan.

You never came across wrong at all mate, like most fan forums we to have our own bunch of complete f*cktards. Just ignore them, thats what the majority of us sensible contributors generally do.

Talking of ****tards .

Weird thing is we've never played him in midfield. With Frecklington, Newton, Tidser, Milsom and Pringle, there's no room for him. So had to stick him at CB and after 2 successive promotions I'd say it's worked. Apparently we offered him more so would guess he's on about 5/6k a week with us.

Ok well 3 of your midfielders listed there have played top league Scotland in the past 3 seasons. Not one of them has dominated this league or indeed, much like Arnason shown themselves as anything bar average at best in this league. I'm not having a go or anything, I'm merely trying here to point out that actually the English leagues are not better than ours up here, especially when you look at the players and the money you are paying them.

You've just got to look at Derby for proof of this, Craig Forsyth whilst young up here never even made it to the top league, but he's a key player for a team who almost went up. Bryson's another example, he was a great player up here and indeed is one of the best midfielders in the Championship. If he was to move now it'd be a healthy 7 figure sum at least.

To be fair, Craig Forsyth is a bad example to use.  He had bags of potential as a teenager and is looking like he'll fulfil that potential.  The fact he is seen as a key player for Derby is a compliment to their scouting system.