Stevie May

Hardolez21

Sugar daddies are no guarantee of success as has been proven in the past.

But usual arrogance from fans down south with their greatest league in the world pish, Scottish football is crap etc well theirs isn't that great look at the English national team and a top league full off overpaid overseas players taking the silver dollar from Sky.

Stevie could do better than this mob, hope its not that clown Preston who is his agent, which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

To touch on others who seem to think we are a small club with no finances, I would reiterate the fact that we have an ambitious chairman, who has recently vowed to get us into the top flight, and has already spent £30M+ of his own money to get us where we are now.   Already sold 6500 season tickets, and will have to limit away fans this season, to accommodate the growing support within the town, with an expansion plan for next Summer.  So as it stands, our home attendances will probably average well over 10k, and playing at places like Leeds, Sheff Weds, Forest, Wolves and Derby, which is our first game and expected to be a 33k sellout, with away tickets of 2600 already gone, will be a lot more appealing than playing at Ross County, with all due respect. 

Bristol City fans spouted the same shite when they were after McInnes, its just seems to be generic bluster from any fan of a small English club pretending they should deserve our respect. You're a smaller club, and would be a step down

You can come on here as often as you want and try to convince us how grand a club rotherham are, I'm sorry but we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

A few years ago in scotland we had a wee club called Gretna who also had a very rich chairman. He bought players ahead of more established clubs, and paid them loads. They rose up through the leagues and eventually got to the top half of the premier league until it all eventually went wrong when the money vanished.

Throughout the whole time, regardless of the fees being payed, whenever a player went there we all knew they were joining a diddy team. Just like yourselves. You'll always be diddy.

As you probably feel about us. But then we're not on your forum trying to convince you how great a move it would be for your star player to join us.

Never won a trophy, never have or will play in Europe. Never played in top flight. Average over your history is third tier of your domestic league. Your stadium is just mcDiarmid park with the corners filled in.

So well done on taking 2600 to your neighbours for opening game of the season, 2 weeks ago we took 1000 to lucern. It's in switzerland. In Europe.

Going to the bottom half of your second division to play relegation dogfights at Bournemouth, millwall and brentford is not the best career move for oor hairy wee striker.

You can come on here as often as you want and try to convince us how grand a club rotherham are, I'm sorry but we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

A few years ago in scotland we had a wee club called Gretna who also had a very rich chairman. He bought players ahead of more established clubs, and paid them loads. They rose up through the leagues and eventually got to the top half of the premier league until it all eventually went wrong when the money vanished.

Throughout the whole time, regardless of the fees being payed, whenever a player went there we all knew they were joining a diddy team. Just like yourselves. You'll always be diddy.

As you probably feel about us. But then we're not on your forum trying to convince you how great a move it would be for your star player to join us.

Never won a trophy, never have or will play in Europe. Never played in top flight. Average over your history is third tier of your domestic league. Your stadium is just mcDiarmid park with the corners filled in.

So well done on taking 2600 to your neighbours for opening game of the season, 2 weeks ago we took 1000 to lucern. It's in switzerland. In Europe.

Going to the bottom half of your second division to play relegation dogfights at Bournemouth, millwall and brentford is not the best career move for oor hairy wee striker.

Braw answer.you forgot to remind the tight Yorkshire gits they are just a small club in Sheffield living the dream.And one day they might do a Gretna and guess what ? Pop goes the whippet.

Sad times when a club more renowned for "to me ....to you" come in for your top player.  I think the move is highly dangerous for Stevie, a lot of pressure resting on his shoulders, as Rotherham must be top candidates for relegation. 

3/1 with Paddy Power for relegation.........oh dear......oh dear.

Sad times when a club more renowned for "to me ....to you" come in for your top player.  I think the move is highly dangerous for Stevie, a lot of pressure resting on his shoulders, as Rotherham must be top candidates for relegation. 

3/1 with Paddy Power for relegation.........oh dear......oh dear.

He must want to go though.

Surely we wouldnt bother discussing a deal if he wasnt interested in going?

Football players are still sold at auction, and are only only ever worth what the buyer is prepared to pay!  The best thing for Saints is to hope that another club takes a chance and enters the bidding.  West Ham bid 750K for Andy Robertson earlier this year, then Everton and Hull City began chipping in with bids, till it reached 3 million.  Perhaps that is what SB is up to....hoisting a flag to other clubs, 1 million for Stevie May is an absolute bargain and might generate some interest.  I spoke to a local businessman last night who frequents boardroom circles, he was spitting feathers at the way the SB has handled things over the summer, which is worrysome for Saints. 

Its funny how history can repeat itself, see any similarities?

St. Johnstone

McCoist's first professional club was St. Johnstone, having signed from Fir Park Boys Club in 1978. McCoist had trained with St. Mirren as a 16-year-old but was rejected by manager Alex Ferguson for being "too small".[1] After failing to score during his first two seasons in Perth, McCoist scored 23 goals in 43 appearances during the 1980–81 season including a consolation against Rangers in a 3–1 defeat in Scottish Cup replay.[2]

With several English clubs interested in his signature due to his prolific form with both St. Johnstone and the Scotland U-18 side including Sunderland,Wolverhampton WanderersMiddlesbrough and Tottenham Hotspur, he started the 1981–82 season in terrific form netting four goals in five League Cupgames including the opening goal in a 2–0 win over Celtic at Muirton Park and the consolation in a 4–1 defeat in the corresponding fixture at Parkhead.

This was enough to convince Sunderland manager Alan Durban to splash £400,000 on McCoist making him Sunderland's most expensive ever signing.

Sunderland

McCoist's time at Sunderland was unsuccessful: he managed only nine goals in 65 appearances for a side struggling at the foot of the English First Division. He only managed two goals during the 1981–82 season, his first coming against Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest side and his second a spectacular curling effort from the edge of the box against Southampton.

Three goals in three pre-season games against DundeeDunfermline Athletic and former team St. Johnstone followed by a goal against European Champions Aston Villa on the opening day of the 1982–83 in a 3–1 win looked to point towards big things to come. He followed this up with a goal againstBrighton & Hove Albion meaning he had matched his previous seasons tally midway through September.

October 1982 proved to be the highlight of McCoist's spell with Sunderland as he scored five goals in as many games against Norwich City, Southampton,Manchester CityEverton and Wolverhampton Wanderers. With seven goals scored by the end of October big things were expected but McCoist failed to score another goal in Sunderland shirt. Despite this he finished 3rd top scorer for Sunderland, one goal behind Nick Pickering.

At the end of the 1982–83 season he returned to Scotland and joined Rangers for a fee of £185,000

Edited by jazzsaint

It's not arrogance, nor am I saying we're a big club.  What I am saying is that we have the resource and the spotlight to better Stevie May's career. 

If you're going to be bitter about it, then that's up to you.  Like I've also said, what will be will be, and I'm sure whatever the outcome, we won't be losing much sleep over it.  Even if we're in a relegation dogfight, it's still millions in the bank for the future and progress. 

I dont really see why people seem so disgusted by Rotherham being interested?

It would be even more bizzare if they just went... Nah he wouldnt want to come to us, lets not bother making a bid.

They are trying to better themselves.

Edited by PerthSeany

It's not arrogance, nor am I saying we're a big club. What I am saying is that we have the resource and the spotlight to better Stevie May's career.

If you're going to be bitter about it, then that's up to you. Like I've also said, what will be will be, and I'm sure whatever the outcome, we won't be losing much sleep over it. Even if we're in a relegation dogfight, it's still millions in the bank for the future and progress.

Nor is it arrogance for us to think Rotheram is a side step at best ,possibly even a step down . Stevie isn't the finished article by a long shot but for his career i would prefer if he moved abroad to develop after another season with Saints.

Why not? May has said plenty times he is happy to stay at Saints. It's shown previously moving to England too soon has you back up here in a couple years. His stock is only going to get higher staying at Saints ans having another great season. Rotherham are diddies. Pull out the stops Brown. Please.

Couldn't agree more if this guy is given another year it will only give saints another million

Nor is it arrogance for us to think Rotheram is a side step at best ,possibly even a step down . Stevie isn't the finished article by a long shot but for his career i would prefer if he moved abroad to develop after another season with Saints.

I understand what you're saying.  Unfortunately, football doesn't work like that.  We have players like Ben Pringle, who I would be gutted if he went for less than £3M, but if a Premiership club came in with an offer of half that, he would be angling for a move.  A side step, backwards step, whatever your opinion is, your club is looking to sell, knowing he won't sign a new deal.  We can offer him much more in salary than you probably could, and that goes a long way these days. 

Losing most games?? Are you taking the piss?? Away and roger yersel.. :laugh:

How many times have the mighty Rotherham played in Europe?? how many cup finals you made?? How many semis have you made?? ****me, you have not even made it passed the 5th round of the FA cup and got to the league cup final 54 years ago. Away and spout yer pish elsewhere ya fud..

For the record. St.Johnstone have lost 49 games out of the last 140.

And finally our wee town is a City, which you correctly states only has a population of 50,00 unlike Rotherham where I believe the population is around 250,000, and yet.......

Our average attendance over the last 5 seasons is just over 4200 which is about 8.5% of the population.

Rotherham Uniteds average attendance over the same period is about 5400 which is just over 2% of yer population. ( which is frankly PATHETIC)

So if May dos end up there then he hardly notice a difference loss or crowds wise but he will notice that compared to Perth and Perthshire, Rotherham is a shitehole..

The lad would need to mad to go. :wink:

By some distance, the best and most reasoned response of the day. If May goes, he goes - but Rotherham????? Would show little ambition - the only way he might end up there is because he seems to be unwanted by our Chairman. Very very sad - what a difference 2 months makes.....

Not happy at all - between this fannying around and ditto on a Tommy Wright's contract. Very very angry and increasingly disillusioned by Steve Brown's apparent lack of anything remotely resembling logic.

By some distance, the best and most reasoned response of the day. If May goes, he goes - but Rotherham????? Would show little ambition - the only way he might end up there is because he seems to be unwanted by our Chairman. Very very sad - what a difference 2 months makes.....

Not happy at all - between this fannying around and ditto on a Tommy Wright's contract. Very very angry and increasingly disillusioned by Steve Brown's apparent lack of anything remotely resembling logic.

Was trying to quote Ghostie - his post being the best I've read

Think people are forgetting that Rotherham have sold over 3x as many season tickets this year than us and are playing in the fourth richest league in the world. Its a step up!

In football terms ? Top 4-5 maybe , the rest , aye gid ane .

Being a Saints fan i thought most would understand fans and money don't make a good team .