Stevie May

Hardolez21

Aye, fair enough the real, but I think you know where I'm coming from.

Partly. Stevie moving to Rotherham would undoubtedly be a 'step-up' for him in terms of money and media exposure. I imagine his ultimate aspirations are to one day be playing in the English Premiership, and therefore the English Championship (regardless of which team it is) is arguably a better place to get noticed in that respect than the Scottish Premiership is. I don't agree that this should be the case, but I think it is. 

However, I do agree that the attitudes of many people down there are partly responsible for this state of affairs. Scottish football, particularly the top league, is hugely underrated. We are roundly mocked, even though the popular opinion is a profoundly ignorant one: that 'everyone is rubbish apart from Celtic.'

I haven't seen too much coverage of lower-league English football aside from pre-season friendlies and highlights on the 'Football League Show'. Based on what I've seen, however, I haven't been greatly impressed. Aside from the majority of Premiership teams, I'd say that English football is very much overrated and I believe St. Johnstone could give a lot of the Championship teams a torrid time.

On the other hand, I don't think that these Rotherham supporters have been anywhere near as condescending as other lower-league English supporters who have ventured onto this forum. 

Some of the posts on here have been utterly embarrasing, ironically the Rotherham fans have been mostly respectful with most of the condescending pish coming from Saints fans. We may have had relative success in europe recently and the cup win was magic but make no mistake, we are a diddy team with a small fanbase and if any team meets our evaluation for Stevie no matter how 'big' they are perceived we are likely to sell unless we get a better offer elsewhere.

I think a lot of the posts bigging up saints' (very) recent success have been tongue in cheek. I don't think there are many saints fans who need to be reminded that we are a diddy team. We all know our place. Stevie May will move on at some stage,no doubt. Everyone accepts this. But being told rotherham is the right move and they are the perfect stepping stone for him is nonsense. They can offer more money and that's it.

He's already at the right stepping stone.. One full season in the first team; he's top scorer, played in Europe, won a cup, sports writers young player of the year, regular scotland under21 and on the cusp of a full call up, and won a major trophy. Are rotherham really offering a better shop window than that?

I love the impact he's had. A local lad doing really well and hopefully on the brink of great things. I can't ever remember seeing so many shirts and t-shirts with one saints player's number on. the whole May17 thing has been brilliant. So many great moments last season and he was a massive part of it.

Bollocks. They think because they are English, they rule the world. Feck them, and feck their tiny wee country. Adam le fondle......seriously?

Strong drink may have been taken, but I'm sick to death of arseholes from nothing teams from the various arseholes of that disgusting fascist country coming on here and lecturing us about how we can better ourselves if we just move down there.

Hiya Alex Salmond, stop looking for votes ;-)

Which would benefit St Johnstone more? Selling May to a 'bigger' club for £2M, where his opportunities may be limited, and failure to provide an immediate return would see him in the development squad, fail to reach his potential, and fall by the wayside, or joining a club at a decent level like ours, where he will practically be an instant starter, would be nurtured, and given every opportunity to make it, and then possibly sold on for £5M - £10M with a large chunk of that coming your way?

How about keeping May to develop in a team who challenge for trophies and European football then sell for 5-10 million to a decent team , not some two bob mob who want to pay a fiver a week for the next 100 years .

How about keeping May to develop in a team who challenge for trophies and European football then sell for 5-10 million to a decent team , not some two bob mob who want to pay a fiver a week for the next 100 years .

Fair point. Why cant be try and hold onto him for a while and build a team around them. 

United have gone a great job of holding onto particularly GMS and built a team of younger players. I know some have been sold now but that kind of backs up your point. Selling ASAP might not be the best option. 

With the greatest of respect to Rotherham, if we are going to loose SM to a team at that level, I'd rather that it is one where he could conceivably make it to the EPL with them. Wolves and both the Sheffield clubs are much bigger, but operating around the same market as Rotherham.

In some ways, I could see the appeal of Rotherham to some players as there will be little expected out with Rotherham this season, but May strikes me as the type who genuinely believes that whatever club he goes to, he will make his mark, so I'd suspect given the choice, he'd aim as high as possible and work on it.

I've seen all the 4 leagues in England and league 1 would be a step down, but mid to upper championship a good standard, not streets ahead, but still ahead, much faster and fitter.

May depend on whether he sees Rotherham staying in the league or not?!

Look millerman, I am a Saintee living in South Yorkshire, 5 minutes from Rotherham and you are not going to get anywhere with my fellow wappers. Rotherham are a totally different team from when they were booted out of Millmoor to play at Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield. The new stadium is fantastic and Evans and his sidekick has got them playing decent football but The Championship is another matter and whether you can cope with the promotion is the next question. You will find it hard to accept that any of us see a move to Rotherham as anything other than a sideways step but the Championship would be an upward step if it was to an established club in the top half. Much as I admire what Chairman/owner Tony Stewart has done in the last 5 years this is the big one this season. Evans imo has made a couple or 3 strange buys in the close season and personally one, the much heralded, Kirk Broadfoot is not fit for purpose and a couple of journeymen are poor choices. Anyway this is a thread about Stevie May so to be brutally honest I feel he would be making a mistake to ply his trade at The New York.

https://www.clubcall.com/championship/rotherham-made-to-wait-by-saints-1735136.html?

St Johnstone boss Tommy Wright says discussion are ongoing with Rotherham over a deal for star striker Stevie May. The Millers have been chasing the 21-year-old forward since last year and, boosted by an improved transfer fund following promotion, are ready to stump up over £1million for the Scot. The figure would be a club record for the South Yorkshire side but St Johnstone are prepared to make them wait as they want May to play in their Europa League qualifier with Spartak Trnava on Thursday.

Wright says Saints are discussing a transfer with Rotherham but has indicated that if a deal is to go through it may not be completed in time for May to feature in their Championship opener with Derby on Saturday. "Stevie is still our player and if I was a betting man I'd say he'd still be our player on Thursday and will play in Slovakia," Wright told the Scottish Record. "The clubs are still talking but he will be playing in Europe for us. Rotherham have been interested in Stevie for a long time and they keep banging at the door. "They've come back a few times and seem determined to get their man. But nothing is agreed yet. There are still discussions going on."

Can you imagine if he actually doesn't want to go there?

Surely we won't have been negotiating this long without being certain he would go if the offers right?

As of yesterday the negotiations were off. That's not to say Rotherham have stopped acting all Mickey Mouse and have come back in with some serious speak.