Stevie May

Hardolez21

Our single biggest outlay will be players wages...for St Johnstone to afford most of our current players and sustain or improve on the level we have achieved, we require bigger crowds, more sponsorship etc.

In any way we can we need to bring money into the club to constantly feed these outgoings...wages, improving player development and maintaining the stadium.

iI the stories are true on this forum, then Stevie May could sign for someone else in January with Saints only receiving a development fee!

By selling May now the money will allow Saints to meet the costs with a sizeable amount secured for the future, especially if add ons and sell on clauses are included.

The simple fact is, and stated by TW and the board that he is valued at £800k.

Nobody has offered that, plenty derisory offers though.

His stock is increasing to the point of £1m valuation.

I don't think he wants away as he doesn't seem the typd of bloke who will cry like a little beatch when he doesn't get his own way to transfer.

We won't be held to ransom over selling him and the sooner English clubs realise that they will look elsewhere as he's not going on £200k and pay up over a year for the rest. Peterborough tried that and their chairman acted like a c*nt when he got told to bolt.

No disrespect to Rotherham but I don't think that would be a preferred option for Stevie. Congrats on your promotion and I think their stadium is cracking but I believe Stevie would prefer somewhere slightly bigger and a larger fan base.

Surprised a team like Leeds or Sheff Weds haven't come in for him.

I'm all for balancing the books, but the only thing I see in selling Stevie May right now is bad news.

Looks at hibs last season when they couldn't replace leigh griffiths' goals they were very poor and rightly got relegated, I don't think we'll be in that position as we have Maclean and Ohalloran but even so you can't replace 31 goals a season unless you spend big money.

As has been said on numerous occassions by others, the Board of Directos have somehow managed to transform the positive feeling after the cup final, which I have never witnessed before in my 27 years of following saints and turned this into one of the most anxious close seasons in memory.

Come On Mr Brown get Stevie signed up on a 3 year deal, get another season out of him and then and only then look at selling him if that's what he wants. The club are in the driving seat on this and the figures being banded around ~£600k  up front from Rotherham, this surely isn't much more than any development fee Saints would get? I for one would be willing to take that risk, but unfortunately it's not up to me, you or anyone on WAP.

Edited by Markinch Saint

Come On Mr Brown get Stevie signed up on a 3 year deal, get another season out of him and then and only then look at selling him if that's what he wants. The club are in the driving seat on this and the figures being banded around ~£600k  up front from Rotherham, this surely isn't much more than any development fee Saints would get? I for one would be willing to take that risk, but unfortunately it's not up to me, you or anyone on WAP.

Easy said, but by the looks of things difficult to do. The club, by the sounds of it, have offered a deal. May's agent (I presume) has knocked it back for the time being. Now we could say the club should offer May stupid money to get him on a long-term deal. However, all it would take is an injury like Murray has at the moment and his 'value' will drop substanitally and suddenly the club are locked into a big contract with little value at the end. Worst case, but it could happen.

While I think £800k is a bit cheap, sounds like no one wants to offer more anyway as there are no other offers on the table. I can understand the difficult position the club are in. Take the £800k plus add ons, or hope for a development fee, which might be shite and no add on potential.

Easy said, but by the looks of things difficult to do. The club, by the sounds of it, have offered a deal. May's agent (I presume) has knocked it back for the time being. Now we could say the club should offer May stupid money to get him on a long-term deal. However, all it would take is an injury like Murray has at the moment and his 'value' will drop substanitally and suddenly the club are locked into a big contract with little value at the end. Worst case, but it could happen.

While I think £800k is a bit cheap, sounds like no one wants to offer more anyway as there are no other offers on the table. I can understand the difficult position the club are in. Take the £800k plus add ons, or hope for a development fee, which might be shite and no add on potential.

Agree. It doesn`t look like he wanted to sign a new deal on the offer that was on the table.

Saints could have offered him a good contract in the hope that the increased year or two might give them a bit security & a bit more time for the offers to come in but as Muzz has shown anything can happen in football.

Another season like last and he'll be worth double .

Steve Brown hates a gamble though . Tight fisted **** .

his dad did when he shelled out 500k for dodds to keep us in the league. We didn't but still made a 500k profit.

Come on Steve brown, step up or forever walk in dad's footsteps

Obviously its in mays agents interest to get his client the best possible deal, moneywise

had a feeling that sb has been dragging his heels getting may signed up on longer deal with the intention of selling him as any contract extension would have put up his valuation and frightened off the rotherhams of this world

do i blame him, yes and no

He has to balance the books and safeguard our future

but at the same time has to get enough of a fee to give tw money for a replacment

decisions decisions

The problems come if Stevie is offered £100k a year to stay or £250k a year at another club, plus £50k signing on fee, and £50k to his management company.  Football is about the 'here and now' I'm afraid.  There are too many possible eventualities for the involved parties to 'give it another year'.  Unless you can afford the risk that is.

Football is about the 'here and now' I'm afraid.

Which works both ways, and is why any offer from a club with a dodgy credit history to pay up 50p a week for the next gazillion years is going to get punted into the long grass regardless of how "good" it is.

The more I think about it, investing in keeping May with us for another year seems more and more the smart move.

He gives us the potential to achieve more this season - leading to more proze money etc etc - and another season like the last one will double his value at least

Yes, there is risk, but surely it can be mitigated to a degree where it wouldn't damage the club

I see the development fee that people are talking about, but that will only be if he stays in Scotland, and this fee we would be lucky to get £100,000 ( I think we paid £35,000 for Liam Craig) if he was to go down south then we would not get anything, Simple solution is sign him up on a 3 year deal, pay him big bucks this year and then look to sell next summer for double what we would get now

This morning I read a "quote" from Tommy sounding negative about keeping him, but it was vaguely written and didn't actually quote him. Then I read that the Rotherham assistant manager thinks that the talks are going badly. It also mentioned, but did not name another alternative player they have in mind.

Time will tell, but is a lot slower and less fun than speculation.

Guest ScottMann

What is best for Saints is at least another year's extension, Kane put out on loan to a Championship club for next season, an experienced striker brought in to cover Kanes place for a year, Stevie gets sold this time next year and kane is ready to immediately take his place. It obviously won't happen though.

I for one am dreading opening the official website or BBC to see that headline "May signs for Millers"....

I can understand the club looking short term... if Stevie has a mediocre season then interest will drop, however if he has a great season and they haven't signed him on a better deal they will be kicking themselves. If he has been offered a decent deal I cant see Stevie saying "No". He loves the saintees and is playing for his boyhood team.

You have to speculate to accumulate, failing to sign up the striker and the manager whilst gaining some revenue on better than average season ticket sales does not bode well. You may lose what you gained and people who walk away are harder to get back.

Daily Record sounds interesting....

Talks are ongoing and if the Championship side up their bid to £800,000 the 21-year-old looks set to move south.

Losing May, who netted 27 times last season, would be a blow for Wright but the Perth gaffer hopes his main man signs off in style against Spartak.

He said: “Rotherham are definitely showing their hand and negotiations are ongoing.

“It is wait and see at the minute. Stevie will play on Thursday and if the deal does happen rest assured the chairman will make sure it is the best possible one.

“At present Stevie is in the last year of his contract. If the Rotherham deal was to fall through that may change.

“Our contract extension talks have paused but they haven’t been taken off the table. I find it surprising Rotherham are the only club in the frame.”

Filling the void left by May won’t be easy and Wright reckons replacing the Scotland Under-21 star is a job for two men.

He said: “We have to make sure we are ready to bring someone in if Stevie goes. If that does happen we have to bring in two strikers and I have spoken to the chairman about it.”

Saints fans will be gutted to see their hero leave for less than £1million after watching Tayside rivals Dundee United land over £4m for young duo Ryan Gauld and Andrew Robertson.

But with May entering the final year of his deal the Perth club can’t play hardball.

Wright said: “Gauld joined Sporting Lisbon and Robertson went to Hull who are a Premier League club.

“Those clubs have far greater resources than ones in the English Championship. The boys at United had also signed long-term deals.”