Stevie May

Hardolez21

Is this saga still going on.... sensational talent so he is. We were lucky to see him score goals for us and I remember all the great times of last season. I wouldn't worry about a replacement for May whenever that time comes as no one will fill those boots. If we find someone who can bag double figures (10 goals) I would be happy with that as that would seem normal. Stevie May is not the norm..... but his goals might dry up..... drop in form, drop in morale has yet to be tested on this aspect of his game.. raw exceptional talent and for now he is Saints. A goal on Thursday Europa surely adds 500k to his value.

Rubbish. Of course you can break the wage structure, it's not even about keeping him. It's about getting fair market value for a player that scored more than any player for the club in his first full season at this level. It's common sense.

Hibs managed it with Brown, Thomson and all. There was long term deals signed on the basis of getting good fees for the club.

I agree that saints shoud try and get fair market value or sign him up for longer but fair market value is what a willing buyer and a willing seller are willing to accept.  The length of the remaining contract factors into what fair market value might be.  I also don't disagree with you about the comparisons with other players giving an indication what fair market value might be but if there is only one club sniffing around and that club is only willing to pay X then its a take it or leave it as in my opinion it would be folly to break the wage structure for one guy (if that would be what is required for him to stay) so will have to disagree with you on that point, 

We're not talking 5k a week here. The contract he's on won't be anything like huge. Making him our highest paid player is far from out of the question. Anything under £2k a week is going to represent value for money.

People always go on about "what if he gets injured" but if you took that attitude, you'd never sign anyone and never leave the house just incase you get hit by a bus. It's not even a risky deal. The guy's goals were probably worth 3-4 league places. Where would we have finished with our typical 8-10 goals a season striker instead of May.

Right lets have whip round and see if we can get people to sign up a direct debt of a monthly payment to keep Stevie may, This would not break the salary cap we could actually give him a second contract that nobody else needs no about just all of us, I suggest around £100 per month x 1000 of us should be enough to beat off the bags of Money Millers, :wink:     

Right lets have whip round and see if we can get people to sign up a direct debt of a monthly payment to keep Stevie may, This would not break the salary cap we could actually give him a second contract that nobody else needs no about just all of us, I suggest around £100 per month x 1000 of us should be enough to beat off the bags of Money Millers, :wink:     

sounds like one of the old rangers deals

Think most folk will agree its a case of not if but when Stevie moves on, however! May is an asset and in my opinion is not being treated as such.

I could be wrong, but I haven't actually heard May say he is desperate to leave, and honestly believe if he were to be offered a decent contract he would stay. Should he stay on a decent contract it would be a win win...we would have his services & still receive some money for him should he go.

I don't think Saints are 'bigging' our asset up enough, I think he is being hawked off cheaply!

Shame on Saints

People always go on about "what if he gets injured" but if you took that attitude, you'd never sign anyone and never leave the house just incase you get hit by a bus.

Teams also pay insurance against exactly that.  Take out a policy on him being worth a couple of million.  When he goes, hopefully for an increased fee because of a contract extension, then the inflated transfer fee covers the cost of the policy.

Those sums would buy May (1.2m over a season!)

Someone else had alluded to Huddersfield a few days ago. a little better than Rotherham... Finished 17th last season?? they are only a town!! Bought a Bermudan striker for 1.3m in January

Edited by belfastsaintee

Those sums would buy May (1.2m over a season!)

Someone else had alluded to Huddersfield a few days ago. a little better than Rotherham... Finished 17th last season?? they are only a town!! Bought a Bermudan striker for 1.3m in January

The terriers in my house say that May would be the player they have been missing since Jordan Rhodes ran off to Blackburn.

Maybe... just maybe....

“At present he is in the last year of his contract here. If the Rotherham deal was to fall through that may change. It is still an option." - Tommy Wright

Rotherham No 2 Paul Raynor said: “It’s well documented there have been talks with St Johnstone regarding Stevie May. The fact nothing has happened after those talks would tell me they’ve perhaps not gone as well as we expected. We’ll wait and see.”