Stevie May

Hardolez21

Stevie May got us to a cup final and reinvigorated the whole town when it came to Saints. To suggest he was anything other than good for morale when he was here is completely disingenuous. The man was, is and always will be a Saints legend and it would be nice if some of our fans could show a bit more loyalty to one of our own. 

That would be the same loyalty he showed tthe team. May did what he thought best for himself and others are voicing their opinion of what is best for the team. I do admit he was an outstanding player for saints. But I believe he would not compliment the present team. Our style of play was long ball for May to run and he would shoot at every opportunity scoring a good number of goals. However I now prefer our style of play more through the midfield for a number of players to score. We are no longer relying on the long ball and one player to score.

all of the above. he's been found a bit wanting dann saff like but he should come good once he gets a few games and goals under his belt.

first loyalty is to your family, he didn't want to leave but with the money on offer not really an option to stay, don't blame the guy for that.

would I take him back? yes of course but we've moved on now and so has he, I am really enjoying our games again in the last few weeks.

If you were the likes of O'Halloran, Cummins, Kane, Macca or even Sutton, part of a team playing great stuff and scoring freely, and May was brought back in on a higher salary than all of them, it would surely dent morale.

May was brilliant for us, but it was public knowledge that SB and TW offered to make him the highest paid Saints player ever.  I'm sure he would score goals again for us, and if money wasn't an issue, I'd welcome him back.  I just think the TEAM is more important than one player.

That would be the same loyalty he showed tthe team. May did what he thought best for himself and others are voicing their opinion of what is best for the team. 

I'm not talking about people saying they wouldn't take him back (as crazy as I find that line of thought) I'm talking about talk of him unsettling the dressing room. It was evident that he was an extremely popular member of the dressing room and suggesting he would ruin the morale of the team is completely unfair. Personal opinions on his personality really have nothing to do with it, not signing Christmas cards doesn't lose you football games. The loyalty to an ex player that was such an integral part of our most successful season should be a given, his moving on to quadruple his wages should not be a mark against him. 

If you were the likes of O'Halloran, Cummins, Kane, Macca or even Sutton, part of a team playing great stuff and scoring freely, and May was brought back in on a higher salary than all of them, it would surely dent morale.

I think you are doing the squad a disservice, we have a thoroughly professional group here, I'm sure if they believed having May back would improve the team and push us to the next level it wouldn't bother them. It's not going to happen so it's irrelevant though. 

Stevie May got us to a cup final and reinvigorated the whole town when it came to Saints. To suggest he was anything other than good for morale when he was here is completely disingenuous. The man was, is and always will be a Saints legend and it would be nice if some of our fans could show a bit more loyalty to one of our own. 

yeah but he wouldn't speak to me in the loft when I was hassling him 

Well we've spent 5 million on two strikers and we are unbeaten in 9 beating two Premier League teams rather convincingly along the way. Some serious talent in the Championship.

Just watching the likes of Forestieri and Lucas Joao just shows to me that Stevie May was never going to make it for a side pushing for promotion. 

800,000 in the Championship gets you little. A punt on a striker who had one very good season in the Scottish League. Certainly worth a punt gibven his age and the goals he scored, but really it's not going to get you much in a better division.

Watched Forestieri a number of times over the past few seasons, he was a firm fans' favourite and often started on the bench for Watford. There is a reason they sold him and you'll soon find out why! 

if the lad has such a bad attitude problem why is he getting tickets for the Preston Blackburn game for local lads in his home town,the lad is just settling in waiting on his chance I believe the strikers at Preston playing at the moment are doing well same as Kane and Sutton had to wait on there chance

Firstly, don't know why the quote is there.

Secondly, was at the QPR - Preston game on Saturday.  Disappointed and not a little surprised that Stevie didn't get any game time.  Preston were absolutely toothless going forward and never looked like scoring.  QPR had more possession, but after a half decent first half the game petered out into a boring 0-0.  Overall, it wasn't a great advert for the Championship, although one or two  QPR players were clearly class acts (Faurlin and Hoillet).  Charlie Austin was a huge disappointment.

Don't know what Stevie's situation is, but if he can't get a game in that team then there is something very wrong.  I get a feeling he will be back in Scotland soon - just hope it's not with Sevco.

I always look out for Stevie to see how he's getting on and am sad he hasn't really made the grade in the Championship thus far. Managers like Tommy Wright surely have an inkling for how a player might get on in another league and I don't think TW would have encouraged him to bite off more than he can chew. His equaliser in the cup semi and the winner were both brilliant goals and would have been at any level for example. 

Or maybe I'm kidding myself. Maybe Scottish football really is sh*te? I mean, look at the national side. 

Look how many times he was out on loan before he got a chance with us!? Tommy Wright was the manager who had faith in him, which he repaid in bucket loads ..... In  reality he only played for us for a season & what a season it was.  If the offer he was given to stay is true? Then it really wasn't a serious offer at all.  He went even higher in my estimation of him when he was ambitious  enough to take a chance down south, unlike Mackay- Steven & Armstrong whose buttocks are warming a different bench albeit for more money!!! As Saints fans we have much to be grateful to him for!?! The goals he scored against Aberdeen in the semi must have been the two most satisfying I have ever seen! I wish him only goôd fortune.

I watched that semi-final again the other evening.  Stevie's two goals were great finishes, undoubtedly, but for the first 60 minutes of that match we were absolutely dire.  It made me realise how much better we are now.  I think the cup final was something of a turning point for Saints.  Greater confidence and belief abounds, and it was remarkable to see us without that in the semi-final.

Long may it continue.

Not sure we were "absolutely dire" Montrose.  We were up against a team playing well and dripping with confidence.  We did well to stay in the game with Mannus saving from Rooney and also had a couple of bits of luck that had deserted us in all the other semi finals over many years.  Wright (as he often does) changed the shape of the team moving May wide left and once the equaliser went in there was only going to be one winner.  Not that I thought that at the time mind you, I've only come to that conclusion havnig watched the game back ten times..................

It's a very obvious thing to say but the two goals are absolutely brilliant pieces of striker play.  To win a semi final with those goals was something else.  Only wish could go back and enjoy it properly as just seemed to be hit by a wave of disbelief when it was actually happening.  It saddens me too to see May not making it with his new club but he will always be well remembered.