Stevie May

Hardolez21

We all wear tinted specs, I recall games like the Pigs and North Ender fans have seen. But then he'd get that moment of promise and class where out of no where one of his shots goes in. He used to shoot all the time, verging being greedy but we knew he would score so this element of his game was encouraged.  I'm surprised at the aimless runs, as that must be coaches orders at PNE.

7 goals at the Pigs in one (first) season isn't bad.. I'd say it was a good step.. how many games did he start?

Edited by Dave H

I've always had a soft spot for Stevie Evans. I lived in Stamford in the eighties and he started out as manager there, then took Boston into the league. He was always great copy in the local media. Yes, there was some dodgy stuff at Boston, but that was more the chairman. He's always struck me as a great motivator, in the Ally MacLeod vein. I reckon he gets the most out of his players.

Down in London for a few days so decided to take in the Charlton v Preston game to see how Stevie is playing. As has been said he never came off the bench.

On another note the bottom of the championship is really awful, Charlton are one of the worst teams I've seen in a while and made Preston look good. Saints wouldn't have any problems if we were to face them.

Down in London for a few days so decided to take in the Charlton v Preston game to see how Stevie is playing. As has been said he never came off the bench.

On another note the bottom of the championship is really awful, Charlton are one of the worst teams I've seen in a while and made Preston look good. Saints wouldn't have any problems if we were to face them.

Yep agree Andy, Over hyped and over paid players, some of the games I have watched over the years mostly Sheffield Based and mostly United as they are a short walk from the city Centre has been dire stuff. indeed. 

I am not being funny but would s may fit in with saints team now

Not being funny, but given his clear drop in form, I'd rather have what we've got.  Cummins looks like an absolute diamond of a find, and MacLean gets better every game.  We've still got Kane too, who has shown huge promise, as well as other youngsters like Hunter.  

Given that May would undoubtedly be our highest earner if he were to come back/was still here, I'll stick please.

I saw the second one...well taken.

Still don't think he is all that good, dare I say May scored goals of that kind of quality when he was with us and according to a number of peeps who see him now, he's guff.

We have missed Gallagher big time, he's played two games since his return in injury and we look a completely different team. He was crucial to our promotion last season aswell.

Just curious, why do you not rate him? 

Not being funny, but given his clear drop in form, I'd rather have what we've got.  Cummins looks like an absolute diamond of a find, and MacLean gets better every game.  We've still got Kane too, who has shown huge promise, as well as other youngsters like Hunter.  

Given that May would undoubtedly be our highest earner if he were to come back/was still here, I'll stick please.

Is this Graham Cummins were talking about? We was the ones that bought him from Cork... Now he was ****ing dire! To be honest I'm starting to think strikers just go bad as soon as they come to us! :mrgreen: 

Good to hear he's doing ok now though, always put the effort in and looks like it's finally paying off for him.

We have missed Gallagher big time, he's played two games since his return in injury and we look a completely different team. He was crucial to our promotion last season aswell.

Just curious, why do you not rate him? 

This gets slightly off topic. However, my first thought would be what is he, front player or midfielder? I seem to recall he started as a striker but his goal ratio is pretty poor, asides from a season a Stoke when he was one in three. The rest of the time the goals haven't really flowed and that is despite playing the last two and a bit seasons in league one, which isn't a great level. If he's more a provider of goals then every time I've seen him and that admittedly isn't that much, he hasn't managed to keep the standard up. He may have looked good to you in the past couple of seasons, particularly last year in your promotion. However, again, just how good were the sides you were playing against? I can't help thinking if he was that good then he would have been signed by the sides in the playoff places (no offence to PNE intended). 

Finally, the thing that seals the deal.........Berti Vogts gave him is only cap that should say it all ;-)

Is this Graham Cummins were talking about? We was the ones that bought him from Cork... Now he was ****ing dire! To be honest I'm starting to think strikers just go bad as soon as they come to us! :mrgreen: 

Good to hear he's doing ok now though, always put the effort in and looks like it's finally paying off for him.

Send Stevie home NorthEndSoul and e will turn him back into a super striker.

Oh and if you have access to a signed Preston North End top  -PM me and I will give you an address to send it -we will auction it off at one of Scone Saints Events.

This gets slightly off topic. However, my first thought would be what is he, front player or midfielder? I seem to recall he started as a striker but his goal ratio is pretty poor, asides from a season a Stoke when he was one in three. The rest of the time the goals haven't really flowed and that is despite playing the last two and a bit seasons in league one, which isn't a great level. If he's more a provider of goals then every time I've seen him and that admittedly isn't that much, he hasn't managed to keep the standard up. He may have looked good to you in the past couple of seasons, particularly last year in your promotion. However, again, just how good were the sides you were playing against? I can't help thinking if he was that good then he would have been signed by the sides in the playoff places (no offence to PNE intended). 

Finally, the thing that seals the deal.........Berti Vogts gave him is only cap that should say it all ;-)

Apparently there was bigger and better teams after him but he wanted to come here, has family in the area and he's been here a while so think he's settled, he is getting on a bit aswell. I wouldn't underestimate league 1, its weak at the moment but there's usually a few good teams down there. Massive gap between the Championship and league 1 though I know that much. 

Oh and if you have access to a signed Preston North End top  -PM me and I will give you an address to send it -we will auction it off at one of Scone Saints Events.

I might have a Sir Tom Finney signed ball somewhere, I've got two of them. One of them my greatly missed grandad got me years and years ago and takes pride of place but I have another somewhere that I won in a raffle. If I can find it I'll give it you, not sure if it would make much in Scotland like.

I've not seen it in a long while though.

the signing didn't fill me with hope or excitement, but he's been absolutely superb. Hard working, scored some brilliant goals (particularly headers) and laid on some clever chances for others. 10 times the player I expected him to be.