Spartak Trnava V Saints

glenrothes saintee

Much better performance, but we just weren't threatening enough in an attacking sense. For me, O'Halloran should have been on the pitch earlier and we should have gone for broke. There was nothing to lose, but I never really felt like we gave it absolutely everything we are capable of. I think we will really struggle for goals this season and that will be our major problem. Still, there's plenty to be positive about.

Good to see Stevie score in his last Saints appearance. Hopefully we can do it all over again in the league and cups this season and aim for a 4th successive European campaign.

Another superb away performance in Europe.

Ref was no Homer and we benefitted from some of his decisions.......two hand ball effort from Miller for example!!! 

The players overall were excellent, although Gary Miller for me is not good enough at right back.  In terms of full back he is a shadow of Easton.  I far prefer Cap'n Dave there, Tam was excellent and created the goal.  We are obviously stretched at the back and hence Miller played, granted his terrible header had no effect on outcome.

Great effort Saints and enjoy the Slovak beer comrades.

COYS

As much as I want to have a right go at Miller for one of the most idiotic decisions I've ever seen, the real damage was done in the first leg. That goal didn't really have much bearing on things as we still needed to score twice to get through.

Far better though, and a few promising signs ahead of the season. Still need to find someone to score though, regardless of whether May leaves or not, players like Wotherspoon, Croft and O'Halloran really need to be getting over 5 goals a season for us

Anyone else feel that we would have probably won the tie if the away leg had been first? We have a real knack of getting good results away from home in Europe, and I think the home crowd would have spurred us on to complete the task in the McDiarmid match.

No excuses though. We were the weaker side over the two matches overall.

Edited by The Real Saints

Anyone else feel that we would have probably won the tie if the away leg had been first? We have a real knack of getting good results away from home in Europe, and I think the home crowd would have spurred us on to complete the task in the McDiarmid match.

No excuses though. We were the weaker side over the two matches overall.

Agreed.

However, those impostors from last week have gone and our normal effort was apparent tonight. Had we played as we can last week, tonight wouldn't have been relevant.

Agree with ARFC above, we lost/gifted two goals over the tie and simply to progress in this competition you can not do that, Doubtful if you can get away with it in the Scottish cups/League or the BIG ONE. Yes Garry Miller sold the goal and in reality it may not have mattered. I Disagree the longer that game went on with us needing just to score would have had us put a bit of pressure on them and anything could have happened.

However I just want to Say after the first European Game I saw V S.V Hamburg, the years between the Monaco game and then again a few years and now three years in a Row. Thanks Saints for giving our younger fans a great start in their support for the Saints, And also me for I must admit that maybe 9-10 years ago looked very unlikely I would see again.

The new season begins lets do what we have always done ( me for nearly 50 years, my old mum and dad for nearly 70+ years) get behind the Saints we will be shite again we will be brilliant again but that is what supporting Saints is all about .              

Im not having that. His touch is woeful, he doesn't tackle and he offers nothing

Then you're clearly trying far too hard to find faults. He won the ball more often than not, and completes more passes than not. If you're expecting him to be some Yaya Toure figure then you'll clearly be disappointed, he is what he is though, and he does his job of recycling possession and slowing down the opposition midfield fairly well, he also got forward quite a few times tonight aswell.

Then you're clearly trying far too hard to find faults. He won the ball more often than not, and completes more passes than not. If you're expecting him to be some Yaya Toure figure then you'll clearly be disappointed, he is what he is though, and he does his job of recycling possession and slowing down the opposition midfield fairly well, he also got forward quite a few times tonight aswell.

I'm not expecting yaya toure and neither am I expecting a centre midfielder to jump through the air past the ball, land and watch the opposing team run away with the ball. Several times tonight he done that and dodged tackles, then his back pass to Mannus was horrific.

Yes I should support him as he's a saints player, but I can't bring myself to do it. I want the best available team on the pitch every week, he shouldn't be anywhere near a pitch in a saints jersey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63MfFIBnrs4

Thank you very much! You were a formidable opposition and definitely one that deserves a lot of respect!

The Saints are a great team, no doubt about that, and these two games could have really gone either way.

Spartak T. were slightly better this time, maybe just because your team blew the 1st half on your pitch a week ago. If not, it might have been different.

I hope you all travelling fans liked it here in Slovakia, enjoyed your trip and have a safe journey back home! Take care!

And good luck for the new season... maybe we will meet again sometime, cheers

Peter, Trnava 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63MfFIBnrs4

Thank you very much! You were a formidable opposition and definitely one that deserves a lot of respect!

The Saints are a great team, no doubt about that, and these two games could have really gone either way.

Spartak T. were slightly better this time, maybe just because your team blew the 1st half on your pitch a week ago. If not, it might have been different.

I hope you all travelling fans liked it here in Slovakia, enjoyed your trip and have a safe journey back home! Take care!

And good luck for the new season... maybe we will meet again sometime, cheers

Peter, Trnava 

Good post Peter - and good luck to your team for the season ahead and in the next round.  Didn't like some of the play acting - though I realise it's part and parcel of the game - especially on the continent.  But in truth, over the two legs, Saints just didn't quite do enough - your analysis is spot on.

Still hopping one of your subs was ineligible though ;-)

Awrabest

Jim