Let Us Remember Them

Inchcolm

Today is the anniversary of us entering World War I let us take time to remember our players who went off to do their duty and never came back

John Cameron                               St Johnstone

Alexander Halkett,                         Dundee, Aberdeen, St Johnstone

Thomas Alexander Jackson,          St Mirren, St Johnstone (Scottish International)

William MacPherson                      St Johnstone

David McWalter,                             St Johnstone

Herbert Murray,                              Clyde, Aberdeen, Queen’s Park, St Johnstone, Motherwell

Bertram Sampson,                         St Johnstone     

Charles Scott,                                Rangers, St Johnstone

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

If I have missed anyone please add them to the list

I found the article on the net

My story is regarding our grandfather Bertram Sampson who was born 17 Jan 1886 in Perth Scotland, and died 23 April 1917 in the Battle of Arras, France & Flanders. His regiment was the 1st/7th Black Watch (Royal Highlanders). The Battalion suffered heavy casualties, 25 other ranks killed and 123 wounded. In 1916 Bertram was sent home on Compassionate Leave as he sustained a "shrapnel wound" to his neck, he recovered and was sent back to fight once again, but sadly was K.I.A. leaving a wife and six children. Before he enlisted Bertram was a professional football player with the local team St Johnstone, in the centre half back position. His registration with the Scottish Football Assoc. was dated 14th May 1907, at the age of 21. From the age of 16 he was an avid football player, and played with many local junior teams. The St Johnstone team lost eight of their players in the First World War. Our grandfather Bertram is mentioned quite extensively in the very rare copy of the "Official St Johnstone FC History from 1886-1997", along with his grandson (my brother Brian Sampson} who also played professional football for St Johnstone, our local team. Bertram is buried in the Brown's Copse Cemetery, Roeux, France.

Good post.

I don't think any of us can comprehend what these guys were thrust into and how they faced it.

And I can't help but wonder oh Willy McBride
Do all those who lie here know why they died
Did you really believe them when they told you the cause
Did you really believe that this war would end wars
Well the suffering, the sorrow, the glory, the shame
The killing and dying it was all done in vain
Oh Willy McBride it all happened again
And again, and again, and again, and again

Great post. 

We need to remember all 9 milliion (!!!) that died.

I will in particular be remembering Johnny Cameron, my pal Steve's grandfather's brother.  He stayed with the club many years and would, I suppose, have had a testimonial like Ando,if he had been around today.

It is important that we keep remembering them all.

Guys, we're being asked to turn everything off and sit in the dark just to have a wee think for 1 minute at 11pm tonight.

Imagine being 18 years old, with a rare bird at home, everything in front of you. And then you have to climb out of a rat-infested trench and get machine-gunned to death because some blokes in suits had an argument. These pieces of lead usually hit at stomach or thigh level. With no hope of medical support, you bled to death, or died in agony from infection in a hospital. 

And still it goes on.

11pm. Turn the lights off.

Today is the anniversary of us entering World War I let us take time to remember our players who went off to do their duty and never came back

John Cameron                               St Johnstone

Alexander Halkett,                         Dundee, Aberdeen, St Johnstone

Thomas Alexander Jackson,          St Mirren, St Johnstone (Scottish International)

William MacPherson                      St Johnstone

David McWalter,                             St Johnstone

Herbert Murray,                              Clyde, Aberdeen, Queen’s Park, St Johnstone, Motherwell

Bertram Sampson,                         St Johnstone     

Charles Scott,                                Rangers, St Johnstone

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

If I have missed anyone please add them to the list

Thanks for Posting this Inchcolm, everything else Pales

Inchcolm, thanks for posting this. WAP is more than just an online footie site, its a community.

We have a couple brave forces laddies including StanleySaint on here, my prayers in reading things are that no harm comes to them. 

Also, I dont know if you read about the Pompey new strip for this season, what a lovely commemeration.

Edited by AthensSaint

Inchcolm, thanks for posting this. WAP is more than just an online footie site, its a community.

We have a couple brave forces laddies including StanleySaint on here, my prayers in reading things are that no harm comes to them. 

Also, I dont know if you read about the Pompey new strip for this season, what a lovely commemeration.

Agree Athens, great touch by Pompey.  Think Hearts' strip is also a tribute.

I genuinely had no idea we suffered such losses. Why is this never mentioned around this time of year by the club. Hearts always make a big deal over those lost fighting for King and country.

P Mc, As time moves on, its a tough one to know when to stop commemarting the anniversary dates is difficult. A couple of lads on here Sangin and Stanley are big Saints fans and have put their life on line without hesitation for "king and country". Wish sometimes Saints would honour the lads that come back for R and R. One day they are on patrol knowing there is huge risk and fact they could get killed or maimed, next minute they are back at camp wondering what the saints score is. LIke my friend slf said, RESPECT.