Is That The Good Times Over Already?

t.mcneil99

Look on it another way. We have matched a team with a much bigger budget (Luzern) and asides from one really poor half were ok against a decent Spartak side.

Our defence in the four games was never at full strength but mostly held their own. In midfield we have seen that Brown is more than up to the task of being a player this season and there is hope with Caddis. Despite what you say, Millar has been decent and while I am not a Mcdonald fan, he's been injured most of pre-season. Seem to remember the Luzern home game was his first game time.

O'Halloran has talent, just has to learn a wee bit, that will come.

Obviously May's future is uncertain, however, if he goes we'll have funds to strengthen and if he stays then he'll get goals. Pretty sure even if he stays we'll add one or two loan signings...remember Abeid, plenty more like him out there.

This is still pretty much the side that won the club there first piece of silverware....think positively, we'll be more than ok this season.

True, think this may have come across as a bit more depressed than is maybe the case, but still we had a chance to really push on in the absence of rangers hearts and hibs and finish 2nd, but it seems we are settling for just survival again

No, but it is fair to say that we won't match last season this year.

The concern would be if we don't make top 6. Not that we have any right to be there and realistically we all know that 10th upwards is the first goal each season, but as we have seen in the past, it can all be a slippery slope for Saints.

We all knew this would happen at some point, great team, with a good spirit, an amazing young talent and a cup win.

We are now out of Europe, letting out prized asset go for an amount that is not big enough to fund any real long term improvement, Chairman refusing to sign any players, We have a wonderful manager who seemingly now is stalling on a new deal and will leave for cheap, players not seemingly as together judging by the spartak game.

We will be back in the first division sooner than later

discuss....

I was thinking exactly the same before the game today.

Is it possibly true that as a business, we turn more of a profit chasing promotion?

Edited by St. Paddy

Dont underestimate Scumdee.

I was of this opinion, but people seem to be vastly over rating them now. They're entirely reliant on their midfield performing, a midfield filled with inconsistent/injury prone/one dimension central players. If that doesn't click for the majority of games they'll struggle, the defence is awful outwith McGinn. Willie Dyer is their only left back. 

This is the issue we have, equating someone who runs about a lot as being good, millar cannot tackle, is consistently out of position, cannot dribble, cannot shoot, cannot play any sort of creative pass , cannot cross, and is in no way imposing in the midfield. McDonald is similar, although to be fair to millar, he does work so hard, but that does not mean he is in any way a good player

Are you that Ewan Murray clown from the Guardian? Your knowledge of football seems very similar. Or maybe you just havent watched Saints play very often....

Unbelievable the attitude of some Saints supporters.....

That's three years in a row in Europe and a very creditable performance just a few hours ago.

Get a bloody grip. If some of these pathetic posters had lived through the Lamond years ( pre Geoff) there's no way they'd be Saints supporters. This is our best period in our history. Sure soiled by last month's inactivity on the transfer / resigning front - but compare that with how it felt when we lost 5-1 at home to Meadowbank, 5-0 at Montrose, 9-2 at Hibs, 4-0 at Stenny. I was at these games - and many more. I know what it felt like when we were truly awful - and it's one helluva lot worse than in the aftermath of a 1-1 draw away from home in our third Euro qualification in a row.

Repeat - get a bloody grip. We are St Johnstone FC not bloody Juventus.

May will go and Tommy will get money to rebuild. It's only 48 weeks until we 're back in Europe

Rant over

Jim

That's three years in a row in Europe and a very creditable performance just a few hours ago.

Get a bloody grip. If some of these pathetic posters had lived through the Lamond years ( pre Geoff) there's no way they'd be Saints supporters. This is our best period in our history. Sure soiled by last month's inactivity on the transfer / resigning front - but compare that with how it felt when we lost 5-1 at home to Meadowbank, 5-0 at Montrose, 9-2 at Hibs, 4-0 at Stenny. I was at these games - and many more. I know what it felt like when we were truly awful - and it's one helluva lot worse than in the aftermath of a 1-1 draw away from home in our third Euro qualification in a row.

May will go and Tommy will get money to rebuild. It's only 48 weeks until we 're back in Europe

Rant over

Jim

Well said Jim . When we were going into games against Whitehill Welfare hoping for a result or when we couldnae beat Alloa for what seemed forever . Those were the days .

Although i hate that bloody song , good times have never been so good .

Rant over

Jim

These are definitely still good times. Probably the best. Great post Jim. I remember that the triple additions of Wullie Brown, Steve Evans and Charlie Adams to that team pumped 5 - 1 at home to Medowbank seemed to herald a new golden age. Shows how bad we were and how far we've come. Part of the fun of supporting your local team even when the ground is 90 miles away !

You know what, I don't care if that's the good times over. If you look at our history, the chances are there is a relegation looking somewhere.

But that's exactly what makes our club so special. Because part of just why May was so special was because we have had so many lows. What we have is something no OF fan can experience. We go to games not knowing if we'll put a performance in, not knowing if it's enough to get a win but if we do we'll enjoy it. OF fans go to games not knowing if they'll put a performance in, not knowing how many they'll win but and leave moaning they should have won by more.

They can't truely live the good times as they don't have bad times.

We have been so so so lucky to have supported our amazing club through its best ever period, arguably it's best ever side, but folk forget what we went through to get here.

So even if there's a relegation, it's nothing compared to where we were 30 years ago - only this time we'll be in the First Division as a Scottish Cup winner. And when we come back up again, we'll have another party!!!!!!!

And if they ain't over? Well, bring em on.....

Chris Millar is an excellent player and has been a great servant to Saints. I won't hear a bad word said about him.

Saying that Stevie May leaving leaves us with "half a team" is just drivel. It's a massive loss and it's very disappointing that we seem to have sold him to the first bidder but he only played for us for one season. People need to get some perspective. We achieved Europe two seasons in a row without him. This is football, players come and go. Of course we would love to be able to hold on to May but he was always going to leave with the form he produced last season. If he goes to Rotherham for £800,000, we have to accept it and move on and the money will help us to do that.

I said in the other thread about May that Steve Brown is not an amibitious chairman and this shows that. He's a very practical man and sees an asset that the club can sell for money we've not seen for a player for more than a decade. He's more interested in upgrading the stadium and resurfacing the car park than handing out a mega contract to keep May and sell him on for double next summer. It's sad but understandable and not at all surprising.

It's not worth giving up on supporting Saints for. That's absolutely ludicrous and I really question the sanity of people coming out with that nonsense.