Is That The Good Times Over Already?

t.mcneil99

Chris Millar is an excellent player and has been a great servant to Saints. I won't hear a bad word said about him.

Saying that Stevie May leaving leaves us with "half a team" is just drivel. It's a massive loss and it's very disappointing that we seem to have sold him to the first bidder but he only played for us for one season. People need to get some perspective. We achieved Europe two seasons in a row without him. This is football, players come and go. Of course we would love to be able to hold on to May but he was always going to leave with the form he produced last season. If he goes to Rotherham for £800,000, we have to accept it and move on and the money will help us to do that.

I said in the other thread about May that Steve Brown is not an amibitious chairman and this shows that. He's a very practical man and sees an asset that the club can sell for money we've not seen for a player for more than a decade. He's more interested in upgrading the stadium and resurfacing the car park than handing out a mega contract to keep May and sell him on for double next summer. It's sad but understandable and not at all surprising.

It's not worth giving up on supporting Saints for. That's absolutely ludicrous and I really question the sanity of people coming out with that nonsense.

yeah we did achieve Europe without Stevie but last season we had Tade,vine,macca and Nigel. Who have we got when Stevie leaves? Ok we've brought Morgan in but no one knows how that will turn out and if he's mays replacement that's a lot of pressure plus he's only here until January

yeah we did achieve Europe without Stevie but last season we had Tade,vine,macca and Nigel. Who have we got when Stevie leaves? Ok we've brought Morgan in but no one knows how that will turn out and if he's mays replacement that's a lot of pressure plus he's only here until January

Last season  we didn't have Vine or Tade. We went into the season with Fallon and Maclean as 'proven' strikers and May, who we hoped would come good.

Morgan is the same age is May was this time last year and we've got a better supply line behind him than May had last year.

It's been a disappointing summer, but it really isn't all that bad. Even without May, this is still one of the best sides I've ever seen play for us.

Last season we didn't have Vine or Tade. We went into the season with Fallon and Maclean as 'proven' strikers and May, who we hoped would come good.

Morgan is the same age is May was this time last year and we've got a better supply line behind him than May had last year.

It's been a disappointing summer, but it really isn't all that bad. Even without May, this is still one of the best sides I've ever seen play for us.

Ok clever clogs I clearly meant the season before last when we did have Tade and vine. At the start of last season aswell as macca and fallon we had Nigel and May he had just become the all time record scorer in the first division. Would you be happy going into this season swapping May for Morgan and making no other signings?

On a side note does anyone know what Morgans scoring record is like? Wiki says he's never scored a senior goal but hopefully that's pish

Ok clever clogs I clearly meant the season before last when we did have Tade and vine. At the start of last season aswell as macca and fallon we had Nigel and May he had just become the all time record scorer in the first division. Would you be happy going into this season swapping May for Morgan and making no other signings?

On a side note does anyone know what Morgans scoring record is like? Wiki says he's never scored a senior goal but hopefully that's pish

Of course I'm not chuffed - we're clearly short on squad numbers. The fact remains though that the lack of a Fallon/Iwelumo figure isn't a huge loss to us. May obviously is after the season he had last year, but hopefully Morgan can step up to the plate and score some goals. Wright has said he's told the chairman he needs another striker and, with the May money coming in, the chairman would be pretty hard necked to deny him that.

There's no point in being negative for the sake of being negative. We have an excellent first 11 and good back up in most positions throughout the team even without May. We obviously still need a striker and a left winger, but the emergence of Brown and Caddis has eased our problems in the middle of the park.

Do you seriously think we will sell May for £800,000 and not bring in at least one other striker? May is one of a kind and they don't come along at clubs like St.Johnstone very often. That's the main reason why it's so disappointing when they inevitably move on but that's the reality for teams like us. I will miss watching him play for us, he was the difference between us and other teams in many games last season but we all knew it was going to happen sooner or later and life goes on. We will sign a new striker and we will head off into the new season and get on with it. If we don't loan out Kane then we will have Kane, MacLean, Morgan and one other who may or may not be as good as Stevie. We just need to wait and see.

Edited by SaintSam1884

Of course I'm not chuffed - we're clearly short on squad numbers. The fact remains though that the lack of a Fallon/Iwelumo figure isn't a huge loss to us. May obviously is after the season he had last year, but hopefully Morgan can step up to the plate and score some goals. Wright has said he's told the chairman he needs another striker and, with the May money coming in, the chairman would be pretty hard necked to deny him that.

There's no point in being negative for the sake of being negative. We have an excellent first 11 and good back up in most positions throughout the team even without May. We obviously still need a striker and a left winger, but the emergence of Brown and Caddis has eased our problems in the middle of the park.

Not to mention Murray Davidson will probably be signing again at the end of the month. Left midfield aside, we are not short of numbers at the back or in the middle. One left sided midfielder and another striker and I don't really see how we are any worse off than last season. I don't understand this mass panic. People talking about packing it in. Relegation being mentioned? Jeez.

If people are annoyed because Saints are selling May for £800,000 when they believe we should've done more to ensure a higher offer then I perfectly understand that. But the doom and gloom surrounding next season because we won't have May? We have had pretty good teams every season since we got promoted in 2009 and only one of them included Stevie. We need to remember that.

Do you seriously think we will sell May for £800,000 and not bring in at least one other striker? May is one of a kind and they don't come along at clubs like St.Johnstone very often. That's the main reason why it's so disappointing when they inevitably move on but that's the reality for teams like us. I will miss watching him play for us, he was the difference between us and other teams in many games last season but we all knew it was going to happen sooner or later and life goes on. We will sign a new striker and we will head off into the new season and get on with it. If we don't loan out Kane then we will have Kane, MacLean, Morgan and one other who may or may not be as good as Stevie. We just need to wait and see.

I don't think it would have been as bad losing May if we had brought a couple in. Remember we only finished 6th last season and as you say May was the difference between us and many of the teams that finished below us so to lose him will have a massive effect on us. The chairman was happy with the squad before May was leaving maybe he sees Morgan as mays replacement. Just because TW wants 2 players to replace May doesn't mean he will get them. Remember he also wanted 2 or 3 players at the start of the July and was told he wasn't getting them

I don't think it would have been as bad losing May if we had brought a couple in. Remember we only finished 6th last season and as you say May was the difference between us and many of the teams that finished below us so to lose him will have a massive effect on us. The chairman was happy with the squad before May was leaving maybe he sees Morgan as mays replacement. Just because TW wants 2 players to replace May doesn't mean he will get them. Remember he also wanted 2 or 3 players at the start of the July and was told he wasn't getting them

And we finished 3rd the year before without May. It's all swings and roundabouts. Players come and go. Clubs don't cease to exist when their star player leaves. Especially not when they're given £800,000 in return for him! Of course losing May will have an effect on us, but I think the fact we have been successful without him demonstrates that he is not the be all and end all of St.Johnstone. Morgan is clearly not viewed as May's replacement. Not on a six month loan deal, he's not.

While May certainly scored a lot of goals for us last season. Boyd did likewise at Kilmarnock.  The difference between Saints and Killie are that the rest of our squad, most of whom remain with us, are streets ahead of the Killie squad.  It would be nice to see a new striker with a decent record or a midfielder with an eye for goal - Goodwillie and Craig might have been these men.  But May leaving is not the end of the world and I suspect we'll see at least one pleasing signing before the end of the month.

Edited by Greylag

The attitude of some saints fans is ridiculous!! Not that long ago if anyone had said we'd be a top 6 team 3 years in a row, win the Scottish cup and get to Europe 3 times in a row an take a couple of scalps on the way they would of been laughed at or sectioned in Murray royal!

We've only had may for 1 season an managed fine before that, we missed macca last season an we missed muzz we'll have them back, o'halloran will be one too watch this season an he can play in the middle or wide, Morgan an kane both scored goals at every level they've played at before and I think they will both make the step up well

Never been better times following saints in my lifetime!

The attitude of some saints fans is ridiculous!! Not that long ago if anyone had said we'd be a top 6 team 3 years in a row, win the Scottish cup and get to Europe 3 times in a row an take a couple of scalps on the way they would of been laughed at or sectioned in Murray royal!

We've only had may for 1 season an managed fine before that, we missed macca last season an we missed muzz we'll have them back, o'halloran will be one too watch this season an he can play in the middle or wide, Morgan an kane both scored goals at every level they've played at before and I think they will both make the step up well

Never been better times following saints in my lifetime!

I think Mr McNeil is the only negative poster on this thread.

Dontcha just love Saints:

The Scottish Cup sitting in the cabinet, another European adventure in which another decent scalp was taken, and very close to getting a game against the likes of Tottenham, no debt, good youngsters being brought into the first team, a bit of respect from the Scottish media, a great manager, top 6 again, money coming in for May, a great team spirit, no reason not to have a good cup run this season.

Dontcha just hate Saints:

After all the good work of last season, this is just pish already.  3 draws and a loss so far, how long to we have to wait for a win, probably get humped at Dingwall, defo bottom six this season after giving May away for a few quid and having to rely on kids to make up the numbers.  No chance of a cup win this seaon, could be relegated by Christmas unless SB buys in a pile of top players.

Guest The Great Paddy Buckley

As a bit of a Johhny come lately I can see where the OP is coming from but my take, for what its worth is; Sell SM- it is distracting- and bank the money asap. Sort Tommy out asap. Buy/loan 2-3 more players. Risk this boy from Yeovil up front and at once. The first three games could define this season. Ross and Accies should be beaten and Celtic, who are as bad as they have ever been, could be beaten. 7-9 points in the bag by 4.50pm on the 16/8 and the world will look a better place and a good finish is possible.John

Saints fans make me laff?! Talk about Victor Meldrews... True I was less than happy 'giving' Stevie May away, however this is not a new phenomenon for us. We keep being told we are a selling club.

Players come & go but no one is bigger than the club!?

Stevie May will be remembered longer than most for obvious reasons & we will be eternally grateful. New season new history.⚽️⚽️⚽️