Brian Graham

patron saint

Anyway. The Tommy Wright cuddle seems to have done the trick for Big Brian. I think he could well be the type of player that will fit in perfectly at Saints particularly if he gets regular match time. From what I've read, he appears to be a typical grafter. His towering headed goal is something we've lacked up front for a while.

Superb to win two games on the bounce so late on. Generally it's the sign of a good side, one that can snatch a win in the dying embers of a match. May is irreplacable so we'll have to take our chances as and when they come. Last season was a bit of a luxury having a player capable of scoring 2 out of 3 chances from within 25 yards.

I said in an earlier post that I wasn't brimming with confidence over Brian Graham signing for us but good on him as obviously he was brimming with confidence and got a debut goal.

As I said before perhaps a clean start, a team set up like Saints and a manager who wants him here will make that difference.

Good to have a bit of height up front.

Welcome to Saints Brian and here's hoping you can celebrate many more goals in a Saints shirt.

I also put my hand up to saying I was 'underwhelmed' by BG signing. But welcomed him all the same! Great start, and could prove to be a master stroke by Tommy, signing a player who is hungry and really wants to prove himself.

Still think we need a bit of pace or a player to run in behind as a different option.. Think this is what Morgan was brought in for - He definitely seems to be a player low on confidence who maybe needs a bit of love and patience to get back onto his game. Hopefully he will come good in time, possibly just needs to get a break to get going.

When you can bring on O'halloran, lappin and the big BG off the bench that's a very good standard of squad.

I also put my hand up to saying I was 'underwhelmed' by BG signing. But welcomed him all the same! Great start, and could prove to be a master stroke by Tommy, signing a player who is hungry and really wants to prove himself.

Still think we need a bit of pace or a player to run in behind as a different option.. Think this is what Morgan was brought in for - He definitely seems to be a player low on confidence who maybe needs a bit of love and patience to get back onto his game. Hopefully he will come good in time, possibly just needs to get a break to get going.

When you can bring on O'halloran, lappin and the big BG off the bench that's a very good standard of squad.

Totally agree with you last sentence. I think this squad is stronger than last year's.

Strange one Arabs letting him go. They are not over endowed with strikers,especially ones good in the air.

Looks like we ended lucky there as we would have had Goodwillie & maybe Craig if the chairman hadn't been so tight. Graham & Lappin may turn out tge better option.

I a few shed neds who when they found he was going weren't happy.

Then when they found out he scored (with a header from a cross!!) they were spitting teeth.

I personally thought it was a windup till I seen it on the O.S.

Why would they let him go?

McNamara needs his head looking at imho.

Speaking to a utd fan yesterday who was laughing at our new signing. Seems to think we are on a hiding to nothing and that was just a bit of luck. He reckoned within a couple of weeks we will be regretting it.

Politely told him that goal he scored will keep him in good books for a good few weeks yet ) then we will decide

Speaking to a utd fan yesterday who was laughing at our new signing. Seems to think we are on a hiding to nothing and that was just a bit of luck. He reckoned within a couple of weeks we will be regretting it.

Politely told him that goal he scored will keep him in good books for a good few weeks yet ) then we will decide

Aye it was barry goal played to his strengths, a tall striker who can actually jump!! W.T.F?

First of many with the crosses we put in and hope Ando is there.

:)

I wouldn't listen to them, as a whole they are the most knowledgeable group of footballer fans in Scotland .

I a few shed neds who when they found he was going weren't happy.

Then when they found out he scored (with a header from a cross!!) they were spitting teeth.

I personally thought it was a windup till I seen it on the O.S.

Why would they let him go?

McNamara needs his head looking at imho.

Two ways of looking at it from a Utd point of view. BG is of course a Houston signing as he was a January pre contract signed before JMac took over. That said, he was in every squad and got a fair bit of game time.....as much as Goodwillie, but he was never going to move Shifty from the starting line up. He reminds me of Tommy Coyne when he was at Tannadice, sent on late in the game to chase the ball when the game is won, or sent on late in the game and left chasing high balls and hopeful punts when we need a goal. (Like the cup final) IMO if Shifty plays anything like he is capable of playing he will be next to move, he is a Roll Royce of a footballer, but needs to iron out some serious flaws in his game, mostly to do with maintaining concentration. Graham does the same as Erskine.....goes out to another SPL side who will play through him to build his confidence then returns a fully seasoned Spfl striker next season. Pretty smart manoeuvre from JMac really. Bilate looks a handy player and he will remain as one of our first choice strikers for the rest of the season, we also have Aiden Connolly who played well in pre season. I am surprised by all this, Graham played and scored a lot pre season so Jmac must see something in him, if he is a success at Saints there is every chance he will be back at Utd.

Two ways of looking at it from a Utd point of view. BG is of course a Houston signing as he was a January pre contract signed before JMac took over. That said, he was in every squad and got a fair bit of game time.....as much as Goodwillie, but he was never going to move Shifty from the starting line up. He reminds me of Tommy Coyne when he was at Tannadice, sent on late in the game to chase the ball when the game is won, or sent on late in the game and left chasing high balls and hopeful punts when we need a goal. (Like the cup final) IMO if Shifty plays anything like he is capable of playing he will be next to move, he is a Roll Royce of a footballer, but needs to iron out some serious flaws in his game, mostly to do with maintaining concentration. Graham does the same as Erskine.....goes out to another SPL side who will play through him to build his confidence then returns a fully seasoned Spfl striker next season. Pretty smart manoeuvre from JMac really. Bilate looks a handy player and he will remain as one of our first choice strikers for the rest of the season, we also have Aiden Connolly who played well in pre season. I am surprised by all this, Graham played and scored a lot pre season so Jmac must see something in him, if he is a success at Saints there is every chance he will be back at Utd.

To be honest, I think he's likely to play exactly the same role at St Johnstone as he did at DDU. We're favoring a 4-5-1 (effectively 4-3-3 going forward) at the moment and I don't see Graham replacing Maclean as first choice front man. I've no doubt he will be a big part of the team, occasionally start in a front 2 and score goals for us off the bench, however I wouldn't pin your hopes on us developing his confidence by playing everything through him. 

Edited by angus-saint253

If he's a success at Saints and enjoys it here, I think he'll sign for us at the end of the season, seeing as he's out of contract at United. It's hardly like you've been miles ahead of us over the last few seasons, so it's not like a player is leaving a big club to join a small one.

Why would a guy go back to a club where a manager has already told him he's effectively out of his plans? I know footballers can be stupid, but surely no one is THAT stupid. 

Not intended that way Smarmy, not at all - apologies.  I think J McN is a horseshit manager - just my opinion.  I've always thought Brian Graham was a good player, and am genuinely delighted to have him at Saints.

See how to do it Montrose, I hooked 4 in under an hour! ;)

All kidding aside, I think BG is an excellent signing.  Goal machine for Raith and never really played as the main striker at Tannadice. I stand by the comparison with Coyne, late developer who may yet enjoy a successful career in the SPFL. 

Just saw the highlights, it's the sort of goal you don't see often as a St Johnstone fan, both imposing physicality in the box and long range strikes don't seem to happen often with our club. It's a brilliant element to have especially when players like O'Halloran, Croft and Spooney can whip in the crosses. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw the highlights, it's the sort of goal you don't see often as a St Johnstone fan, both imposing physicality in the box and long range strikes don't seem to happen often with our club. It's a brilliant element to have especially when players like O'Halloran, Croft and Spooney can whip in the crosses.

Agreed. To have that alternative threat going forward from open play, not only set pieces when Ando lumbers forward, is something to look forward to.

One today are he's here to stay, in folklore at least!! Go on son....

Edited by norwichsaint