Dundee V Saints 8/11/14

The ghost of Jim Morton

TW made key decisions with the subbies at half time.

Crofty, Cuptie and Spoonie were immense in the 2nd half dominating the right side of the park.

Lappins introduction gave us balance in midfield again.

2nd half showing will surely give the players the confident that we are just in a bad run and will start to dominate teams and pick up more wins.

Double header with County to come.

A small amount of happiness and feel good factor coming back for me.

Enjoyed that game, first half was awful from saints- strange line up from Tommy with caddis playing off Graham. A combination of dundee playing well and us being stinking and mannus kept us in it.

Would like to see it again but at the time I thought mannus had pulled the lad down and was going to get a red.. Definitely a saints penalty as Graham's shirt was pulled as he was going for a header at goal.

Second half saints were superb without creating enough clear chances. Croft was excellent, Mackay pushed forward more and did well, lappin looked a class act in the middle and spoony showed real hunger and desire. It turned into a real ding dong derby, and was nice to come away from a game feeling it was good value, a rarity this season.

Overall I thought a draw was fair. Great saints support after the way we've been playing, got behind the team well. About 1200??

Now all we need is to show that passion and ability for a full 90 minutes....

I agree with most of what has been said. First half was poor but for the first time in a while I enjoyed the second half team performance. Two things have become apparent. We cannot defend from an attacking corner. When they broke we had Easton marking the attacker and O'Haloran covering. But he had to cover three players because we lacked speed when trying to get back. Lets face it, Anderson, Wright and Miller lack pace and cannot sprint back. So why send them forward when we are conceeding more goals than we are scoring? All teams should have designated penalty kick taker before each match. It appears we do not as Graham and O'Halloran were fighting over the ball to take it. I hope our penalty taker is not the first player to get the ball. Both of these topics suggest lack of preparation.

Penalties are about good technique. Hitting it cleanly etc.

Surely O'Halloran certainly would at least be at least 3rd of 4th choice anyway. At times he doesn't exactly strike it cleanly. (I know both Motherwell goals were hit well though)

Watched the highlights. The goal is poor. At no point did we get anywhere near and apply any sort of pressure at any point to the man in possession. Far to much space allowing them to pick their pads. so no wonder it eventually ended up in the net.

The one on Frazer Wright was a stonewall pen in the first half too.

What was the police with their horses all about today? We're they expecting some mad crowd trouble?! Thought that was strange.

Edited by PerthSeany

Penalties are about good technique. Hitting it cleanly etc.

Surely O'Halloran certainly would at least be at least 3rd of 4th choice anyway. At times he doesn't exactly strike it cleanly. (I know both Motherwell goals were hit well though)

Watched the highlights. The goal is poor. At no point did we get anywhere near and apply any sort of pressure at any point to the man in possession. Far to much space allowing them to pick their pads. so no wonder it eventually ended up in the net.

The one on Frazer Wright was a stonewall pen in the first half too.

What was the police with their horses all about today? We're they expecting some mad crowd trouble?! Thought that was strange.

Police Scotland never had a Celtic game to cover so they had to use them somewhere.

I agree with most of what has been said. First half was poor but for the first time in a while I enjoyed the second half team performance. Two things have become apparent. We cannot defend from an attacking corner. When they broke we had Easton marking the attacker and O'Haloran covering. But he had to cover three players because we lacked speed when trying to get back. Lets face it, Anderson, Wright and Miller lack pace and cannot sprint back. So why send them forward when we are conceeding more goals than we are scoring? All teams should have designated penalty kick taker before each match. It appears we do not as Graham and O'Halloran were fighting over the ball to take it. I hope our penalty taker is not the first player to get the ball. Both of these topics suggest lack of preparation.

While Wright is not that fast, Ando, as seen last Friday in the first goal is pretty quick on his feet. I think the problem is their decision making. At the goal today when Dundee broke 2 or 3 of our defenders headed towards the wing leaving the centre empty. They began to fill that by leaving 2 Dundee players free on the left with no free to stop them playing it into the danger area. I can think of 4 or 5 goals this season when Saints have been caught over-committed to attack with no idea how to close the opposition down.

Having watched the highlights thanks to HSF, a few observations...

Gary McDonald deserved his place in the starting eleven yesterday but my god he really needs to stop passing back to his defenders. There really is no excuse for the poor quality decision making he showed yesterday and he could have no complaints at being taken off at half time.

On the penalty claims. At the time I thought the referee was going to show Mannus a red card and award Dundee a penalty. It looked blatant at the time. However having watched several replays I can't really tell if Mannus does touch him enough to send him down like that. The McPake pull on Frazer Wright was a penalty, far more so than the one we actually got. Their second claim looked like a penalty too. Also, thought Easton clearly headed that clearance at the time and my opinion on that hasn't changed.

My views from being at the game itself, Tommy is obviously more than capable of reading a game and understanding what he needs to do to change things. The problem I have is that we have to watch a first half of complete and utter desperation first. What is it with the team that goes out at the start of games compared to the one that finishes them? I thought Caddis was a strange inclusion but couldn't have argued with the other players starting. It was amazing how huge a difference Lappin and Wotherspoon made to the team though not surprising it's the best I've seen either play. Please note Tommy, neither Spoony nor Lappin is a winger. When played more centrally either side of Miller, look at what they are capable of. Key to the success of the second half was that he made those substitutions at the same time. If he had brought them on at different stages in the second half, I don't think it would've had such a big impact on the game.

I have said all season that I'm not hugely worried about relegation being an issue for us because I know we have players that are good enough to avoid that. The biggest problem I've had with the way we have been playing is knowing these players are capable of so much more. Alan Stubbs said yesterday that it's not where Hibs are now that matters, but where they finish in May and I totally agree with that. We still have players to come back and a transfer window to hopefully utilise in some way to address the lack of goals and maybe add some defensive cover. We are now unbeaten in three, including two away games. We have to view that as hugely positive and perhaps we are starting to turn the corner. That's two games in a row we have fought back to take something from games and ended up with 4 points from 6 from a losing position. Everyone involved is to be commended for that.

Going forward we really need to sort out the first half sluggishness. I would really like to see the midfield five of Croft - Wotherspoon - Miller - Lappin - O'Halloran start against Ross County in two weeks. They produced the best football I've seen from Saints all season in the second half yesterday. Incidentally that game is a must win for me after their victory against Kilmarnock yesterday. We really need to beat them at home.

Edited by SaintSam1884