Whats The Atmosphere Like.....

Dr Christmas Jones

I was at the Malaga v Eibar game last night and there was about 25,000 in the stadium. They had two guys with Microphones singing and leading a band of Ultras in song for the full 90. Even then, almost half of them gave up singing after 20 or so minutes. If it wasn't for them the atmosphere would have been absolutely chronic, as quiet as McDiarmid on a cold Tuesday night. It just shows that most people go to football to watch and if it wasn't for a small number at most clubs there would be silence.

One thing worth noting...the police and stewards let these lads sing, dance and stand on their seats for 90 minutes.  There should always be a dedicated area for this. 

Edited by Broon

I was at the Malaga v Eibar game last night and there was about 25,000 in the stadium. They had two guys with Microphones singing and leading a band of Ultras in song for the full 90. Even then, almost half of them gave up singing after 20 or so minutes. If it wasn't for them the atmosphere would have been absolutely chronic, as quiet as McDiarmid on a cold Tuesday night. It just shows that most people go to football to watch and if it wasn't for a small number at most clubs there would be silence.

One thing worth noting...the police and stewards let these lads sing, dance and stand on their seats for 90 minutes.  There should always be a dedicated area for this. 

and Malaga has over half a million residents compared to our tiny wee toon

I wonder what the 'young team' are up to now?? 

Right wing nazis maybe? Junkies? Maybe got there birds up the duff an have twin wanes?!

Or they might be thinking thank **** we're away from they moaning, stuck up there own arses m, sit on your hand brigade up at mcdiarmid! 

I see a few of them on a Saturday and no Nazi's or junkies although one of them is waiting on the "happy event". Usually just hanging around waiting for the ones who didn't get banned coming out of the game (from a police approved distance of course).

I wasn't any angel during the 70's at Muirton and paid for it, but these "young team" ged's aren't anywhere near as bad as my lot or the lot either before or after but i can't remember any blanket ban being imposed.

I would let them back ( if they would come back? ).

Do people actually believe that anyone was banned simply for being a member of "The Young Team"? Really? That they did absolutely nothing wrong apart from belonging to a wee gang that isn't even an official organisation?  Anytime I'm at McD (which is most games) there still seems to be the roughly the same amount in that wee standing area as there ever was, and long may this continue.  The majority of them are  obviously good enthusiastic supporters of the club.  If one or two got themselves banned for being naughty boys then it's part of the learning process for them, surely?

Much more worrying for me is the middle-aged men who seem to want to latch on to the Young Team:)

Incidentally, if the club has genuinely been unfair, will this thread actually do any good - or might it be better to contact the club?

Our police aren't exactly tolerant of the young. If these boys were kicking off and fighting, getting thrown out of games and stuff then I could see the point in banning them. As far as I've been able to see this hasn't been the case?  Seems like they've been banned simply to give the police and stewards an easy life

I am led to believe the fans got banned for a fight that happened in inverness with hearts fans that were up there to see their team on the same day, is this true? and if it's true, how many hearts fans were banned from McDiarmid? 

and- is there a time limit to this ban or is it a lifelong ban? lets not forget murderers, terrorists (or old firm fans who glorify terrorism) and other serious criminals get accepted back into society eventually, i recon a one year ban would have been more than enough. anyone else agree? 

Our police aren't exactly tolerant of the young. If these boys were kicking off and fighting, getting thrown out of games and stuff then I could see the point in banning them. As far as I've been able to see this hasn't been the case?  Seems like they've been banned simply to give the police and stewards an easy life

This ^^^^^

I fail to see just what they did to merit the bans, having fun at the football ?  Okay the policing/stewarding tolerance nowadays is certainly different from years gone by, but ive not witnessed the youngs lads doing anything more than enjoying themselves in a non threatening or violent way. 

Aye, bar a couple of very isolated incidents, these fans have done nothing over the last few years other than create a good atmosphere.  Even if those isolated incidents were punished harshly, it'd probably be 3 or 4 harsh telling-offs.  I've seen nothing that warrants a ban.  I think it's rather sad that we are in this situation now, given how much the players clearly appreciated the enthusiasm of the young crew.

Edit - all of the minor incidents to which I refer were at away games anyway, so what has it got to do with our stewards?

Edited by montrosesaintee

The "trouble" in Inverness was well blown out of proportion by the papers, they made it out to be a full scale riot. Infact it consisted of a few insults and a wheelie bin getting thrown. The banning of 22 individuals for that was well ott, considering none of them travelled up there with the intent on causing trouble. The reported pre planned meeting with Hearts was a load of gash to. The removal of the guys from the Ross county game added more drama to an otherwise lame attempt by the police to make themselves look good. The 22 banned consited of lads of various ages, not all young team, plus guys who have never been involved in any trouble before, football related or not. Anywho this was a few years ago, does it have any baring on this thread ? 

But yeah, im agreeing with others, if it wasnt for the young guns then our already stagnant atmosphere at games would be even worse. We go to games to watch football of course, but a great atmosphere adds heaps to the occasion !!  

After all ive said, I have to admit I fecking hate the drum !!!   

It's not so much the drum I have any objection to..... it's the fact that there seems to be more drummers at McD than were in the Glitter Band.

One of them was pretty good and could hold a beat and read the game but most of them just hit the damn thing like they're killing a wasp on it.

p.s. just had a thought, was the original drummer one of the 22?

Dylan?