Child Benefit

Fair Maid

Where do you get your facts from?

Are they available on line?

Are statistics kept?

How do you know the type of customer using this facility?

Do food banks keep a breakdown of referrals? ... Are recipients asked if they are working/in receipt of benefit?

Don't mean to sound like I am getting at you, however in the absence of your evidence it sounds like some unconscious bias is being used on your part.

If you tell people something over and over again said people begin to believe it, just like the coalition have been doing last 4.5 years

"Free" school lunches for every kid, along with an education of whats in them, how to cook them, and why you need to eat them. Breakfast clubs seem to be a bit of hit in some areas too. And bring back milk, i remember when it was snatched )

Local primary here - free meals for all primary 1 to 3 (as from January but I think this might be going nationwide); free school milk for primary 1 and discounted for rest of the years; and free fruit for snack for primary 1; also, the school runs a Toasty Tuesday whereby the kids pay 10p for a toasty sandwich. Not bad at all. Ok, the school meals aren't the healthiest but they aren't the worst I've seen.

Edited by Fair Maid

Where do you get your facts from?

Are they available on line?

Are statistics kept?

How do you know the type of customer using this facility?

Do food banks keep a breakdown of referrals? ... Are recipients asked if they are working/in receipt of benefit?

Don't mean to sound like I am getting at you, however in the absence of your evidence it sounds like some unconscious bias is being used on your part.

Saintee4life has previous in making up bizarre claims and then failing to back them up when challenged - the 'Yes or Naw' thread has several examples. Add these to the list.

Saintee4life has previous in making up bizarre claims and then failing to back them up when challenged - the 'Yes or Naw' thread has several examples. Add these to the list.

a wee article in the courier lastweek a guy lying in a close out of his tits on lighter fuel and beside him a carrier bag full of tins from the local foodbank.

Foodbanks rik2304 are used by many people who will spend their benefits on fags, alcohol and drugs before buying food because they no they can rely on these lovely Foodbanks that are being setup. Not all foodbank users are like that I may add

For someone who spends most of their time on this site complaining about Muslims, you have the most un-Christian attitude to poverty I've ever seen.

“When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbours, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid. When you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you.” Luke 14:12-14

For someone who spends most of their time on this site complaining about Muslims, you have the most un-Christian attitude to poverty I've ever seen.

“When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbours, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid. When you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you.” Luke 14:12-14

You're wasting your time with your wee dittys brogan because they do nothing for me. Good of you to totally ignore the bit about the food Bank user though. Now if you excuse me I have work to do

Now if you excuse me I have work to do 

"At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge, ... it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."

"Are there no prisons?"
"Plenty of prisons..."
"And the Union workhouses." demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"
"Both very busy, sir..."
"Those who are badly off must go there."
"Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Edited by Brogan

Brogan, perhaps the best bet would be not to react to anymore of S4L's sweeping generalisations.

Perhaps, but I'm not really talking to him. I occasionally challenge his views because otherwise a casual visitor to this site might read some of his vitriol and assume it was representative.

Plus people like reading well thought out posts and are informative   :wink:

Edited by saintj

I get access to my sons half the time, but I don't get half the child benefit, and I also have to pay maintenance plus a small fortune in petrol dropping off and picking up my youngest from Abernethy primary school.

My partner has a (nearly) 16 year old boy who lives with us full time and whose dad really couldn't give two ****s about him, sees him once in a blue moon and pays bugger all in maintenance for him (yet drives a BMW and lives in a McMansion), so my wage goes into our household too.

The system is ****ed.

Scrap child benefits completely, it only gets used for booze and fags.

Even if that was true - of course you'll have a source for such an outlandish claim if you expect it to be taken seriously - I hope you remember that given the egregious  tax on cigarettes and booze about 80% of the money spent on them would go back to the Treasury anyway.

Edited by Brogan

Perhaps, but I'm not really talking to him. I occasionally challenge his views because otherwise a casual visitor to this site might read some of his vitriol and assume it was representative.

I know ....it's hard not to be drawn in to a 'debate' with him, to be honest I think he's Nigel Farage, certainly not a joke. It is easy to pick on the folk at the bottom..there but for the grace etc. I just hope he holds on to his cash, health, he's already 'lost' his mind so...seriously should not get personal but!?!?

Even if that was true - of course you'll have a source for such an outlandish claim if you expect it to be taken seriously - I hope you remember that given the egregious  tax on cigarettes and booze about 80% of the money spent on them would go back to the Treasury anyway.

exactly, without heavy drinkers and chain smokers the NHS would be in an even worse state (not to mention the pension system). Whilst we often hear stories of the vast cost smoking and drinking has on the health service, there are very few stories on the taxes raised from their habits. Obesity on the other hand, now costs even more annually, yet somehow there doesnt seem to be the same appitite (excuse the pun), for the likes of mcdonalds or your local takeaway to be taxed like BAT or Diageio.  Whilst everyone has an individual right to choose what they do, surely any business that promotes illhealth should be taxed to cover those effects in the longer term cost to society.

If there wasn't a profit to be had in cigarettes and alcohol the government would have criminalised them years ago.

Also, Oasis would have one less song on their greatest hits.

Ditto Dr Feelgood and the Stranglers!

Edited by Gussie