Saints V Dundee United 27/12/14

The ghost of Jim Morton

If this the case it gives my theory more credence.  Every united fan I've spoken with(with the exception of you 2 fine gentleman) seems to think the referee and linesman were against them on Saturday rather than pointing the finger at their manager.

That saints are a bunch of hammer throwers with a tattie field for a pitch who wouldn't know a fine passage of play even if it was slowed down for them and explained with diagrams.

I and probably every other saints fan knows any team can beat the other in this league so why any set of supporters would take it for  granted that just because they won their last game against the leagues top side the next is any easier..................................

Again I don't disagree Doc. After the 1-5 game a few years ago I was walking up Newhouse Road and a Saintee, purple with rage, starts screaming and shouting about how the referee had been the 12th man.  I come home log into WAP and there is post after post complaining about 'cheats' and 'divers', 'scum' and the rest.  For me the 12th man was Enckleman who flogged two at least, and McKay was given his worst experience in a football strip by GMS who left him for dead several times and done him on the touchline a few times, Daly and Russell pulled the CB's all over the place........in short it was a proper spanking.  The point being football fans get charged on emotion, and look for all sorts of excuses, and Saints fans are no different, form the Arabs you are describing  People I know who watch rugby...know about rugby, they talk tactics with ease and can see two teams.  People I know who watch tennis, know about tennis....same with motor racing, cricket or whatever.  In my experience this is where football is different, a huge chunk of people I know who watch football know phuc all about the game...really phuc all!  Not for me to criticise, they have paid their money and can say what they like.  My old man sits next to a woman at Tannadice who screams abuse at any player who does not immediately hoof the ball forward, a sideways or back pass is met with shrieks of anger...I can no longer sit in the vicinity, it does my box in, but she never misses a game and is actually entitled to spout as much pysh as she likes, and in a way its what makes the game...... a pantomime for adults, with villans and hero's to cheer and jeer.

We were cheated in that game though smarmy :razz: .

One thing that I still cant understand is why , if there is a way to stop all the pressure on the referees, they don't push to get it. An officials integrity is always called into question when he misses an incident or some instances makes the wrong call. Surely if anyone else in any profession had a tool to make their job easier, they would jump at the chance to use it. We would be talking about Jackie's inability rather than the refs since the game on Saturday.

I once heard documentary about the corruption in Italian football, and an italian sports journalist was discussing why.....(and I remember several).....a 3 cornered fight on the last day ends with Juventus winning.  All very familar to football fans in Scotland for many years there were only 2 clubs who would...or could win the flag. This journo talked about the cash changing hands, but for him it what was worse was how the whole of Italian football at various levels was 'psychologically conditioned' to make sure Juve get the bauble.  I think there is enormous pressure on refs here to ensure the commercial potentialities are realised in every competition, and they are pressured further to give a certain 'performance' that protects the 'interests of the game'......ie make sure the OF are successful...as we all know, what is good for Celtic and Rangers is good for the game! :roll:   I think the whole car crash at Govan has blown this thinking asunder.  Whilst Celtic have huge resources and will still benefit from a degree of feather bedding, it only takes the right group of players and the right manager to put in a serious challenge.  Aberdeen and United are now asking questions of the old order, and may be close to putting in a serious challenge.  If the table looks anything like it does today at the split, game on!...imagine Celtic having to go to Pittodrie, Caley and Tannadice in their final round of fixtures...bring it on!  Thats why I was so gutted at the chance to close the gap, Jackie cannot seem to even draw the games where we don't play well, Saturday being the latest example!

Perhaps we should bring in Tommy as a defensive coach during the transfer window? He has certainly earned the step up! :twisted:

Edited by Smarmy Arab

I used to post on Utd mad....some good posters but in the main, if you've ever read that site, you will know why I don't bother with that anymore. East Football and P&B are good but I find the layout unwieldy but also think its a bit incestuous and intellectually unhygienic to stay with your own kind.  I moved to Perth when I was 16 and have always had a soft spot for Saints as they are my hometown team.  I also think this forum is superbly run by fair mods and is a good mix of football, politics, and local affairs.