Saints V Hamilton 4/1/15

The ref got an awful lot wrong today, but McFadden's two bookings were justified. McLean poor again when he came on though and Graham awful throughout. I thought O'Halloran the pick of our attacking options, though he was quiet second half. Lappin needs dropped for his sake as well as ours.

What happened to the youth policy promoted last summer. I know things can't change overnight, but surely by this stage in the season we should have blooded a few. Are our youngsters that bad?

I thought our deliveries from corners were spot on today to be honest, putting them in the correct areas just didn't attack them properly. Bizarre criticism to throw at Faddy tbh.

Lappin at left back while Scobbie is on the bench is the sort of decision that could get a manager in trouble if he wasn't a Scottish Cup winning God. Bizarre decision that was obviously not working right from the start.

Not that bizarre when tam has been out for months n just returning from a serious injury. Maybe he isn't ready for 90mins

Not that bizarre when tam has been out for months n just returning from a serious injury. Maybe he isn't ready for 90mins

He was on the bench on New Years Day and then again today. If he's not fit enough to play why is he on the bench? There must have been a better option than Lappin today? That's not a slight on him, he was out of position and it was easy to see that from about ten minutes in.

That was horrendous today. I didn't even think the officiating was that bad tbh, Mcfadden was justifiably sent off and will be in trouble for his gesture towards the Hamilton fans as he walked off. The linesman took a lot of stick but some of the decisions that he was getting stick for were called correctly as the player that was offside wasn't interfering with play. In addition to this the Hamilton tactics were indeed rough and unsporting but some of the things Frazer Wright was doing off the ball today went unnoticed.

It was suicidal to play Simon Lappin at left back as he looked totally lost and was exposed a number of times, Hamilton recognised this and attacked down that side at every opportunity. Gary Mcdonald is a waste of air and his constant longing to play the ball back to the defence and his shocking spacial awareness highlights the fact he shouldn't be in the team. Chris Millar also produced one of his worst performances of the season which is without doubt due to the inclusion of Gary Mac. Ohalloran didn't get the breaks today whilst Lee Croft, like in the majority of games this season, contributed nothing. Maclean looked good when he came on but Graham has been getting a very easy ride by our supporters. He hasnt scored from open play since September and his link up play is nothing compared to Macleans, we shouldn't be rushing to offer him a contract IMO.

Saints got what they deserved today. Hamilton had far more energy looked fitter, sharper, hungrier and pressed the saints players the whole game not giving them any time on the ball. For a guy of Brian Graham's size he wins absolutely nothing in the air. Fair enough he runs his socks off but his movement in the box is shocking. The amount of times a cross comes into the box he's always flat footed at the back post instead of actually moving and making a front post run. 6th place at best this season

Good summing up.

Poor today. Hamilton outfought us, out played us,first to every ball & every second ball. They held,pulled & pushed all game but the ref only seemed to see our half hearted attempts to get the ball.

Again Tommy weakens 2 or 3 positions by moving players about. Lappin is never a left back & moving him there ,he brings in McDonald who is poor & his inclusion seems to effect Midge who had his worst game of the season & I have never seen them play well together. Surely we have a young left back that come in rather than play an aging midfielder there against a speedy cheat.

As someone said we have an aging team that are not suited to playing more than one game a week.

Did Croft spend the holiday season in the loft as he was useless in the last 2 games.

Absolute crap today, out-paced and out-muscled for almost every ball. The day wasn't improved any by us being surrounded by Hamilton fan(nie)s in the Ormond Stand or by the Saints supporter back a few rows who thinks that preceding every shout out with a 'F***ing' is the ideal way to behave in the 'Family' stand.

Absolute crap today, out-paced and out-muscled for almost every ball. The day wasn't improved any by us being surrounded by Hamilton fan(nie)s in the Ormond Stand or by the Saints supporter back a few rows who thinks that preceding every shout out with a 'F***ing' is the ideal way to behave in the 'Family' stand.

Not great when ye bring the bairns.  G4S............... :roll:

We  were poor today. Hamilton outplayed us & should've scored more. We hit the bar in the 1st half & their keeper blocked a shot from O'Halloran in the 2nd & that's about all we did. Too many high balls up the middle which Innes won easily. Graham & McFadden made little impact. McDonald was poor & I don't know why TW bothers putting Caddies on. Where's Scott Brown & is Muzz still injured. Someone said Muzz is out of contract in the 1st week of Jan & he hasn't been re-signed yet - is this correct? We're not allowed to put rumours on this site so I'm leaving it at that. The ref was awful.....a couple of guys were calling him Hugh Dallas's son but I'm assuming they were joking! The goal looked offside but there weren't any complaints from  our players so it was just awful defending. Perhaps the way Aberdeen outplayed us has knocked our confidence a bit. Certainly didn't look like the team that got a deserved win against United 8 days ago.

Not alot to say about this game..Macdonald is not interested..trots about ,rarely wins a tackle or a header,doesnt provide any movement or options to receive a pass + does not assist Midge [Caddis should be given a  chance to shine over a few games]..Lappin is the same ..journeyman pros eeking out a living when younger squad players should be given a chance.Faddy didn't look fit and should have been hooked before being red carded[i saw that coming.REFand supposed assistant truly shocking.We were second to almost everything and hardly had a shot on target.Piss poor.

People are slightly over reacting! Let half the squad go?

A bit drastic?

Also - marking for their goal?! Absolutely embarrassingly gone missing!

the whole squad has been poor all season. Even during our run of wins we haven't been playing well. Changes are needed. Get rid of these old wage thieves and bring in some hungrier fitter younger players

the whole squad has been poor all season. Even during our run of wins we haven't been playing well. Changes are needed. Get rid of these old wage thieves and bring in some hungrier fitter younger players

See the thing is... I said the exact same thing after we got pumped by Aberdeen in the semi. We all know what happened there.

I know unlikely to be quite the turn around but just learning from my own mistakes writing folk off.

Gary McDonald though His times as a pro should be over. he's so so off the pace it's unreal. I struggle to see what he contributes to the game. A central midfielder with zero passing range. It's pathetic.youth should him how it's done today in the opposition midfield.

Edited by PerthSeany

There are certain players that should be nowhere near the starting XI.

McFadden, McDonald and Lappin should be replaced by youngsters to develop them. Faddy has skills but no pace, McDonald has an engine which is only useful if he ever put a tackle in or pushed forward with the ball at his feet. Lappin was signed, why?

Exploited all over the park, second to every ball and refused to get stuck in. They harried and hunted in packs as a team. We had moaners isolated out the game. We have no shape or balance. Croft subbed when Faddy on a yellow, McDonald on for ages when Caddis should've been on earlier and goodness knows why Scobbie wasn't play at all??

Difficult games coming up and 3 in a week. We need to assess what players we need. Even loans from EPL sides. We are in a fight with Killie for top 6. We will find it very hard catching Caley with these two poor results. We need another left back and a combatitive Central midfielder to play alongside Millar, preferably no joining their 18th club at 34.

Personally I think we should field our strongest team every game. If you are on the bench you are deemed fit, therefore fit to be picked.

I get the impression some players are being 'saved' for bigger games. Think this is a dangerous ploy.

I didn't think Hamilton were a better team than us but they came out with a better attitude. Fight I think the word is,harried,hustled put us off our stride. Not pretty but effective.

As long as we learn from the last 2 defeats not so bad, however I suspect we won't ⚽️⚽️⚽️

Graham had contributed nothing either. He at least has the ability to play the 90 minutes though, and considering we ended up pumping balls into the box he would've been far more effective in the latter stages than an out of sorts McFadden who was blowing out his arse. 

I thought we'd bring MacLean on for McFadden, Scobbie for McDonald and Wotherspoon for Croft. Go 4-4-2 with O'Halloran and Wotherspoon pushing up and see what happens. 

You've hated McFadden ever since he arrived at Perth.  He wasn't brilliant yesterday, but he certainly wasn't the worst.

They simply owned us from the first minute until the last.

Yes, the players on the park under performed, but the substitutions to me were just as much to blame. Faddy should not have been sent off, purely and simply because he shouldn't have still been on the pitch at that point. Croft coming off instead of him was simply bewildering. For all Faddy's skill, how many times did he try and do too much, resulting in no end product....he could then barely run the length of himself.

Why is Scott Brown not getting to come on? He was practically in the starting line up early in the season and changing him for Gary MacDonald seemed an obvious move (maybe even from the start - as much as I have tried this season to look at MacDonald's performances with fresh eyes)

Lappin had a mare, Captain Dave is creaking at the seams (couple of great runs, poor final pass/cross). Millar didn't have a great game, but hard to criticise him as he always puts everything in to it. They kept Mikey quiet, although so did we with playing completely the wrong type of ball every time.....their defence lapped up every high ball, including every corner (em, try something different maybe??)

Hamilton know every trick in the book to disrupt play, waste time, niggle the opposition, but they are also very well organised, very neat and tidy on the ball and can attack with pace. The fact we lost shouldn't be such a surprise, but the manner in which we did can only be disappointing