Danny Swanson

rik2304

As TRS has said, we've never had a natural left winger since he left, Lappins more defensive and Craigs returned from Hibs in a more conservative mould aswell.

So what we playing then? 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 to accommodate another winger? I imagine it will be 4-5-1 again.... great... Watch good football up to last 3rd then have no -one to pass to.

Not convinced this wasn't a knee jerk reaction by Tommy, as Saints fans wanted good news after the last 4 days, although getting a player who obviously never made the grade at his last 2 clubs does not set the heather alight.

In my opinion we have enough naturally left footed players who can play wide left.

I'm happy to be proved wrong by him though.

Why would you think it's a knee jerk reaction? He's clearly been near/at the top of our wish-list since the summer transfer window opened.

Technically speaking, St. Johnstone and Hearts are the last two clubs he's played for. He certainly 'made the grade' at Saints and 'set the heather alight'. You may be correct, but I'll be severely disappointed if he has regressed as a player in the space of 8 months.

So what we playing then? 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 to accommodate another winger? I imagine it will be 4-5-1 again.... great... Watch good football up to last 3rd then have no -one to pass to.

What the **** are you on about? We drop Lappin and Craig and play Swanson there, with them two providing back up for there and the centre of the park, its fairly simple.

Knee jerk because Tommy had to get someone in, he was an easy target. Most fans remember what he was doing for the short while he was here and properly fit. Takes the heat off the fact there was no-one else on the radar, even though it was almost certain this deal was going through early on.

Well, I hope also that he can prove himself.... I remain to be convinced.

What the **** are you on about? We drop Lappin and Craig and play Swanson there, with them two providing back up for there and the centre of the park, its fairly simple.

We have been playing with a holding central midfielder, so that means we need 3 central mids.... so for 2 wingers there would need to be 5. Or are we just going to drop the holding mid?

We have been playing with a holding central midfielder, so that means we need 3 central mids.... so for 2 wingers there would need to be 5. Or are we just going to drop the holding mid?

What? We've been playing a 4-4-2 for the entire season. With Muzz and Millar the regular central pairing and Muzz and Spoony the most regular pairing when Midge is injured. I don't think we've started with a five man midfield in a single game this season.

I can't see TW playing two wingers though... leaves team too open on counter.....

Plenty of times we've played with Wotherspoon and MOH on the wings. He'll likely just put Wotherspoon on the right and Swanson on the left. 

Theres absolutely no chance we start without two up front when Cummins and MacLean are fit.

Delighted he is back. On his game he is exactly what we need, someone who is able to take a man on and play dangerous passes into our strikers. He is decent at set pieces and also not afraid to shoot from distance.

On his game, there are not many better entertainers in Scottish football.

Wouldnae go that far Aitchy. Yes he is back, but will have to gain the respect of the fans.

Taking on his man won't be so easy, as he is not blessed with blistering pace.

Not a straight replacement for M.O'H. imho, as they have very contrasting styles.

When was the last time M.O.'H took a free kick or corner kick? Exactly.

Think where he will benefit Saints is that he is comfortable with the ball at his feet and particularly can hold up play without losing possession, until he can thread a pass to a team mate in a better position.

Of late we have been surrendering possession of the ball too cheaply. (sure I have read this in Tommy's after match comments)

Oh, he is not frightened to track back if he loses possession.

Summing up, his attributes bring a different perspective to the team.

Let's hope, after this build up he can become fit enough to perform what he is/was good at.

Welcome Danny. 

What? We've been playing a 4-4-2 for the entire season. With Muzz and Millar the regular central pairing and Muzz and Spoony the most regular pairing when Midge is injured. I don't think we've started with a five man midfield in a single game this season.

Plenty of times we've played with Wotherspoon and MOH on the wings. He'll likely just put Wotherspoon on the right and Swanson on the left. 

Theres absolutely no chance we start without two up front when Cummins and MacLean are fit.

Ok, good point. And like I said, I'm happy to be convinced otherwise!

Obviously I hadn't forgotten that goal against Celtic but watching him in those highlights against Dundee I had definitely forgotten how technically good he was. I completely agree that Craig and Lappin while both left footed are not creative players so it's too simplistic to say "we already have enough left footed players".  They are very industrious and more the work horse type player in the team. Neither of them play those killer passes but both get involved in the slow build up play we often see and the slow build up play MOH was a welcome change from. 

We NEED someone like Danny and we needed someone like that even when we had MOH as our play was becoming predictable. I don't think Thomson is going to immediate be starting games so I think we will see a midfield very similar to that in those highlights against Dundee. 

Wotherspoon Millar Davidson Swanson 

With Thomson used as an impact sub when the time calls for it and Craig/Lappin providing the cover for the inevitable injuries. I think it's a shame for Craig who I would love to see starting more games. Out of him and Lappin I would be offering Craig a new deal. He's a proper "St.Johnstone player" every day of the week. He just fits the club so well. 

I think the point is it's not in the press/media, just our own social media/website. 

When he signed for Hertz it was front page news.  Nobody gives a damn about Saints except Saints fans. 

Spo

Edited by Cagey
text moved into original post & wouldnt allow me to post Spot on.