Danny Swanson

rik2304

This quite possibly might be his last chance of a move to make the type of money/deal he is after as a two/three year deals puts him into the over 30 camp and signing for Saints I suppose into the lower basic wages brigade. So he will see no big rush just now to commit as there was no games this week to miss, and there is always the chance of a offer from a club who is in greater need during the coming months now that the transfer window is closed.

Well that's one way of looking at it. Alternatively, the longer Swanson goes without a game the more he turns into the player we saw at QOS; or that those who can afford him up here may well see him as a guy who can't get a game for an English League one side. Or they remember a player who did really well in a couple of games for Saints, but was often blowing out of his arse shortly after half time in others. In short, he doesn't hold ALL the cards.

So that's why I find - not for the first time - Tommy's comments disingenuous. We were told the deal was dead on Friday. So why this needless resurrection of the story? Is it to put pressure on Brown? If so, I think he should resist. 

Edited by Brogan

I have sympathies for all parties here to be honest. Swanson was all set to come to us on loan, but was released before hand. I'm guessing we were paying a portion of his wage and Coventry the rest. That was a game changer for us as we clearly can't afford his full wage. Makes it difficult for both the chairman and the player who is clearly still keen on a move to Saints. Tommy misses out on his number 1 target and the position he most wanted to strengthen still has a hole in it.

Best chance we have is Swanson lowers his demands, and Brown tries to meet him somewhere in the middle. If the club can't afford it though, then we can't afford and we should move on. If this signing is unlikely to happen, then I think that's really unfair of Wright putting pressure on Brown the way he is.

Edited by Kyle

The jury is still out because it never gets the chance to weigh up the evidence.

There is no reasonable justification for the manager's treatment of Caddis. Either he's not good enough - in which case why keep offering him contracts? - or he is - in which case, give him a consistent run in the team.

Instead Wright keeps putting him in for a couple of games and then dropping him for no obvious reason (I think he's done ok the last few times I've seen him play; certainly more direct than Caddis, and on current form no worse than Craig).

Caddis is a back up player, he's good enough for cover but not for consistent starts, his time on loan in the Championship showed him as completely inconsistent and pretty average for that division. The reason hes kept on is because he can cover a multitude of positions and the fact that getting any player that can cover such a range of positions would be more expensive, Radford kept making that point in the Summer, that for what he is you'd struggle to get anything better for the money. He's also young enough that he could potentially mature into a starter.

I fully agree he should leave us though, he's never going to play regularly as hes never proven hes good enough for that, whether that be out on loan or on the training pitch, and his careers just completely stagnating now.

Also surprised TWs putting pressure on the chairman, I think we're all in agreement that its his use of the budget thats prevented us getting Swanson more than Brown being tight. Although I've sympathy with TW too who clearly worked the budget with the mindset of having Swanson on loan rather than permanently 

This quite possibly might be his last chance of a move to make the type of money/deal he is after as a two/three year deals puts him into the over 30 camp and signing for Saints I suppose into the lower basic wages brigade. So he will see no big rush just now to commit as there was no games this week to miss, and there is always the chance of a offer from a club who is in greater need during the coming months now that the transfer window is closed, Like our panic move for McFadden last year so not dead in the water yet. I would imagine if he is coming though it will be by the end of week, It will need to be Danny/His agent who backs down though as I would be surprised if Steve Brown will budge on the offer he has made.          

Agree with some of what you're saying about Swanson. I don't think Saints are really scared to sign players over 30 though - the likes of Lappin, Millar, Mackay, Maclean etc have all had 2 years deals off us after their 30 birthday (I think Mackay actually had 3 years) and I doubt any of those guys are on the lower end of our wage scale. He's training with Hearts and, if they do offer him a deal, I can't see us being able to get close to it. Fingers crossed we can up our ofer a wee bit though, as I think he'd end up being back up there.

I don't think we had any option but sign McFadden or another striker this time last year. Maclean was out for months, Kane was loaned out until January with no recall option, Morgan turned out to be the second coming of Rory Fallon (only this time he was pals with Ian Beale) and Graham was the only contributing striker at that point.

A little surprised by Wright's comments this morning. Seems like he is making more noises about the budget than he did previously, particularly highlighting that Swanson isn't the first player we have missed out on this summer due to the finances.

If the opportunity to sign Swanson has gone, I wonder whether we will look to the English loan system....or are we too late for loans?

A little surprised by Wright's comments this morning. Seems like he is making more noises about the budget than he did previously, particularly highlighting that Swanson isn't the first player we have missed out on this summer due to the finances.

If the opportunity to sign Swanson has gone, I wonder whether we will look to the English loan system....or are we too late for loans?

Dont think you can get loan outside window except emergency for goalie.

Swanson was all set to come to us on loan, but was released before hand.

Not quite a total hard-luck story. After all, if Swanson was simply released he'd be entitled to the remainder of his contracted salary - he'll hardly be on the breadline. Even if he negotiated his release, he'd have received a payoff from Coventry.

Not quite a total hard-luck story. After all, if Swanson was simply released he'd be entitled to the remainder of his contracted salary - he'll hardly be on the breadline. Even if he negotiated his release, he'd have received a payoff from Coventry.

Of course it isn't a hard luck story, but if he's used to a salary then he'll want to get as close to that salary as before. Saints clearly can't match that and I doubt Swanson expected us to either. It seems to me that we were miles apart on what he was after and what he was offering as it doesn't seem to have gotten passed the first day of negotiations.

Caddis is a back up player, he's good enough for cover but not for consistent starts, his time on loan in the Championship showed him as completely inconsistent and pretty average for that division. The reason hes kept on is because he can cover a multitude of positions and the fact that getting any player that can cover such a range of positions would be more expensive, Radford kept making that point in the Summer, that for what he is you'd struggle to get anything better for the money. He's also young enough that he could potentially mature into a starter.

I fully agree he should leave us though, he's never going to play regularly as hes never proven hes good enough for that, whether that be out on loan or on the training pitch, and his careers just completely stagnating now.

I think that is the problem. Caddis can cover a few positions but like a few utility players suffers because of it.

He has to leave for his own good.

Also surprised TWs putting pressure on the chairman, I think we're all in agreement that its his use of the budget thats prevented us getting Swanson more than Brown being tight. Although I've sympathy with TW too who clearly worked the budget with the mindset of having Swanson on loan rather than permanently 

there might be room in the budget but a player or two but maybe they  are asking more than our individual wage structure. 

Agree with some of what you're saying about Swanson. I don't think Saints are really scared to sign players over 30 though - the likes of Lappin, Millar, Mackay, Maclean etc have all had 2 years deals off us after their 30 birthday (I think Mackay actually had 3 years) and I doubt any of those guys are on the lower end of our wage scale. He's training with Hearts and, if they do offer him a deal, I can't see us being able to get close to it. Fingers crossed we can up our ofer a wee bit though, as I think he'd end up being back up there.

I don't think we had any option but sign McFadden or another striker this time last year. Maclean was out for months, Kane was loaned out until January with no recall option, Morgan turned out to be the second coming of Rory Fallon (only this time he was pals with Ian Beale) and Graham was the only contributing striker at that point.

Mabey what I was saying did not come over that clearly, I was not meaning saints would not sign a over thirty player or he would be on the lower end of our wage structure, more that if Swanson does decide to commit or indeed decides we are his best offer then he will more or else have giving up the dream of a  £5K+ a week pay packet and into the wage structure of most Premiere league player up here is on, I think Caddis is in the same boat if he decided to leave I would imagine Part time at best for him and a complete unknown life from then on again the dream of a full time football player may be lost, so he hangs on as long as he can to that dream?.