Dundee At It Again?

saintcraigieboy

Stuck in doors so watching them against the the, Dee making them look world class relegation for the dee.

I cant argue with anything you say there but just about the only time Dee got into their penalty area they ripped right through The Thes defence and scored. Personally I think the most likely candidate for admin in premiership is Killie.

It's all a bit worrisome for the funsters.

The rumoured move from Dens looks like a bit if kite flying, trying to drum up some interest among.....well anyone really...local authorities (skint), scottish Government  (skint).....Dundee United (skint) fans groups (skint).....doomed from the off I suspect. Still they have now broken it to the fans that Le Stade de Dens is not fit for purpose......'the Derry' (nothing sectarian there ;) ) is almost as big an embarrassment as the 'rhumba' it inspires......the old stand, Archibald Leach's victorian masterpiece and once the pride of the city, is now a creaking moribund fire hazard. (Mmm, there's an idea!)  

I doubt dfc can take another hit they best be careful.  If they are to survive they will need to beg united for a ground share.....makes sense for all concerned....so long as they don't start painting stuff blue.

It's all a bit worrisome for the funsters.

The rumoured move from Dens looks like a bit if kite flying, trying to drum up some interest among.....well anyone really...local authorities (skint), scottish Government  (skint).....Dundee United (skint) fans groups (skint).....doomed from the off I suspect. Still they have now broken it to the fans that Le Stade de Dens is not fit for purpose......'the Derry' (nothing sectarian there ;) ) is almost as big an embarrassment as the 'rhumba' it inspires......the old stand, Archibald Leach's victorian masterpiece and once the pride of the city, is now a creaking moribund fire hazard. (Mmm, there's an idea!)  

I doubt dfc can take another hit they best be careful.  If they are to survive they will need to beg united for a ground share.....makes sense for all concerned....so long as they don't start painting stuff blue.

Will it be more difficult to rotate home fixtures in a shared Dundee stadium when in different leagues?

This talk about selling the ground may encounter difficulty.

I recall that when HMRC tried to make this aberration extinct, the flyboy in charge together with the Cooncil argued in court that the ground couldnt be sold as there was some clause which meant that the land could only be used for football purposes or something along these lines.

As for ground sharing...they will be better trying Forfar or Montrose... or the way its going and they are not careful...Camperdown Park and changing facilities in Templeton Woods.:shock:

This talk about selling the ground may encounter difficulty.

I recall that when HMRC tried to make this aberration extinct, the flyboy in charge together with the Cooncil argued in court that the ground couldnt be sold as there was some clause which meant that the land could only be used for football purposes or something along these lines.

As for ground sharing...they will be better trying Forfar or Montrose... or the way its going and they are not careful...Camperdown Park and changing facilities in Templeton Woods.:shock:

My understanding is that John Bennett owns Dens and when he bought it (as a favour to the ailing old institution) he had to ease concerns among the funny faithful so he bound certain restrictions on possible development or sale possibilities.

Dens is the site if the old dundee corporation municipal coup on the edge of 19th century Dundee (hence the name midDENS road/stadium)  Consequently the ground is perfect for the surface grass, but prohibitively expensive to pile down the required depth for modern building standards.  On top of that, what would the cost of removing the cowsheds that currently sit on the site? This would scare off any prospective developers.

It's hardly prime real estate either, there isn't the same housing demand as there is in the other cities, and there are greenfield and other more easily developed brownfield sites in Dundee.  It only has a value if someone wants to buy it.

As much as I dislike them, I'd be disappointed if Dundee did disappear.  Derby days are a key part of the enjoyment of football, and it could be some time before United are back in the top flight.

It's hardly prime real estate either, there isn't the same housing demand as there is in the other cities, and there are greenfield and other more easily developed brownfield sites in Dundee.  It only has a value if someone wants to buy it.

As much as I dislike them, I'd be disappointed if Dundee did disappear.  Derby days are a key part of the enjoyment of football, and it could be some time before United are back in the top flight.

Not going to pretend today does no hurt.....but I'm pretty sure we will, with a bit of luck put in a challenge this season, but realistically next season will be our year.  We could hardly win a game for 18 months that we never gonna change quickly!  Im quietly confident...but then I chose to be an optimist...it feels better! :)

not wishing to rub salt into the wounds, Smarmy, because I much prefer the Arabs to your near bankrupt near neighbours, but I've been researching this week the 84/5 and 85/6 seasons after we got relegated from the Premier League in 83/4. We almost stayed in the Premier League but came a cropper on the last day (against Dundee...) Anyway, that next season in the First Division was a total disaster and we got relegated again... The next season wasn't much better. It was about four or five years before we recovered...

Not sure the comparison is too useful.  With respect to saints, we have had 2 relegations in 8 decades saints are a different proposition.  

I attended a q&a with Jim Spence and a director, last month, apparently administration was an option last year but was quickly ruled out by the board, we are not in any way out of the woods, so to speak, but we do appear to be on the correct  path.  Mckinnon has made a number of changes to the regime that directly affects playing staff but it will take time to turn round a club who have gone so spectacularly off course following two spectacularly under performing managers.   

I may regret saying these things, and will  no doubt be reminded later, but losing a match in august, in a division that is quite  alien to the club should not have us battening down any hatches just yet .......far less  preparing for a 2nd relegation!  RM's team are some way off the finished article, there may well be some players hanging around who should move on, but every team will have sticky spells....especially Hibs. ;)  in some ways today should focus a few minds  if anyone in our colours thinks we'll win games cos we're better.....today was an early reminder, if we do not respect our opponents and at the minimum match their effort and commitment we are f*cked!

Out of interest sleeply...why were you taking such a pilgrimage through pain....researching what must be the worst period in your clubs history?

it's the undesired and undesirable calvinist streak inherent in this atheist born of good protestant stock. I'm researching a novel, the second of a trilogy, the focus of which will be that god-awful relegation season. No happy endings for me.

I think it's part of the Saints fan psyche Smarmy, we've been a yoyo team for a long time, with only brief spells of relative success, until the last few years in which we have established ourselves as top flight club in my opinion.  What is unusual is that we went from a club on a firm financial footing to a successful club on a firm financial footing - there was no new investment to get us where we are, just hard work and a bit of luck.  I don't think any but the newest fans expect it to last forever though, and it does us good to recall the crap times too, to put where we are just now into perspective.

I think it's interesting that you say United 'considered' admin - it's a funny world in football where admin is considered as an option - when by its nature it is a last resort.  

It is a tough league to escape from though.  The league cup group stages highlighted that when bigger teams play a few games against smaller clubs, the wheels will come off at some point.  So many teams in these leagues know how to win, whether it's pretty or not.  I agree that no team should expect to win every game because they are a bigger club, and I hope United come through this season and get back up.  I don't think there is any danger of relegation again.

Agree regarding admin, it's immoral, but the board did indeed reject the suggestion.  I'm not saying for a moment that it will be easy, far less inevitable that Dundee United will win the second tier, but it has been harder in recent seasons.  With the correct staff on the managing and playing staff I would be confident of making it out in two seasons.  Hearts and Sevco made it comfortably, Hibs will rightly be favourites this season.  Strength and depth of squad et al.

Will it be more difficult to rotate home fixtures in a shared Dundee stadium when in different leagues?

Probably for our administrators yes....but surely not impossible with 7days in a week?

it's the undesired and undesirable calvinist streak inherent in this atheist born of good protestant stock. I'm researching a novel, the second of a trilogy, the focus of which will be that god-awful relegation season. No happy endings for me.

Are you a Protestant atheist? I'm a Catholic atheist. ;)

• 2 years later...

Now the dust has settled on our rather exciting transfer window it is time to have a wee chuckle at Dundee.

After turning down a report £2 million bid for Steven Caulker earlier this year they let him go for free on Friday night as he didn't want to stay at Dundee :laugh:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-caulker-exit-explained-dundee-13185482

36 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Now the dust has settled on our rather exciting transfer window it is time to have a wee chuckle at Dundee.

After turning down a report £2 million bid for Steven Caulker earlier this year they let him go for free on Friday night as he didn't want to stay at Dundee :laugh:

It took him 6 months to work out he didn't want to stay in Dundee?

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

They were either lying about the £2 million offer (which would be my guess) or they're idiots (what club of that size can afford to turn down an offer like that for any player?).

especially as I am sure I read a few weeks back , the yanks put £500 k into club to keep it afloat or pay the wages.

I might have drempt it as I am sure it would have been mentioned on P&B by some trolls.

22 minutes ago, Cagey said:

especially as I am sure I read a few weeks back , the yanks put £500 k into club to keep it afloat or pay the wages.

I might have drempt it as I am sure it would have been mentioned on P&B by some trolls.

I believe that to be correct. One of the contributors noted it on a Courier podcast that also involved Jim Spence.