Famous People....u Met Many?

saint-johns-toun

Was on a football tour in Newcastle many years ago....had a night out and got back to the hotel bar about 2am...to find the hotel bar was mobbed. Me and my mate were stopped by a 'bouncer' and told it was a private function. I told him that we were residents and therefore entitled to go into the bar. He then asked what room I was in, and I asked if he worked for the hotel. When he told me he didn't, I told him it was no bloody business of his what room I was in.

Anyway, (after a bit of a scene) we got in, and when standing at the bar, this guy came up, apologised for the situation and offered to buy us a drink. He then bought a bottle of JD and a couple of pints of coke. Having then sat with them all night, drinking the bar dry of JD, Jim Beam and any other bourbon going, a girl asked me (at about 7am) how I knew the band...to which I looked rather bemused. The guy that bought the drinks then said "I didn't think you recognised me"...it was *** Burgess from the Charlatans...they had played Newcastle Uni (or somewhere that night) and this was a post gig party

I have also got drunk in the company of Meat Loaf in New York (but that was on my honeymoon and the less said about it the better - I still shift uncomfortably in my seat if a Meat Loaf song comes on the radio when in the car with my wife!!)

I have played football in my garden with Gerry & The Pacemakers (my mum knew Gerry Marsden)

The lead singer and the drummer from Sleeper stayed with us for a lock in when I worked in the Last Drop in Edinburgh after they had played Music Box

There are more...but I sound like a bit of a celebrity hang-out :neutral:

Im related to Alan Wells only met him a couple of times though. Danced with Michaela Strachan (theres another plast fae the past) from the Hitman and her fame. And once called Ewan Magregor a spotty prick when he stood on ma new Timberland boots !! Ive generally left out the everyday run of the mill footballers who we tend to bump into at social events, likes of the Ranjurs team drinking in the Cafe Noir where bedlam ensued, also some of the Aberdeen players Willie Miller etc at Glasgow airport way back in the day when they were decent domestically and in Europe. Then of course we have Saints players from the past to recent oh and Sir Roddy Grant still owes me a packet of fags. Have to say one of the funniest guys I ever met (who can be classed as famous) was the old school wrestler Cat Weasle, the fecker was just as mad oot the ring as in it the crazy auld fool. Sounding like a fecking hangon maself noo. Jim Bowen from bullseye was a laugh. The worse so called personality was Jeremy Beadle, met him in Newcastle and he was the most dour faced hoor ive met, all smiles and laughs when the camera was pointing at his dial but a complete t*** off it. Notice all the folk ive met are fae fecking years ago

Edited by chips

No too glamorous .Met lots of footballers In the past, but off the top off my head Jessica Ennis athlete, chris cook Olympic Swimmer ( a few times ) Im very good friends with Scotland 1st ever commonwealth gold medal winner at gymnastics steve frew. Ive met Howard Marks twice. Jim White / John PAul Davies / Kirsty Galagher . Dermot Gascoyne and Eilidh Childs.... Some known and some not so well known. But my biggest one was when Hollywood actor and one of the biggest earners of wwe history came to my auld Dads house in Muirton was wrestling legend Rowdy Roddy Piper. ;) My Dad was ill ( RIP ) and I contacted Roddy and he came to visit my Dad in his wee council house along with a huge entourage. Such an emotional experience that ill never forgot

Edited by soupy76

George Best and Mary whatshername (ex Miss World) when he played against us for Scone Thistle. Probably one of the best players to ever wear the red and black stripes.

John Byrne and Tilda Swinton stayed round the corner from us when we lived in Nairn and were the most down to earth couple you could ever share caviar and champagne with.

Once nut-mergged Phil Neale at a charity golf event with a Dunlop 45 (much to his disgust).

Edited by Dave Ferg

My wife and I flew into Nice airport.....behind us walking through to the terminal was Gianluca Vialli, who was Chelsea manager at the time. I was pointing him out and telling my wife who he was.

As we reached the main building, she was very unimpressed and said "let me know if you see anybody who is actually famous"

In my line of sight, over her shoulder, I could see someone approaching, and right on time I said "how about Sir Richard Attenborough", she turned round and he smiled at her and said "hello dear"......

Bumped into Daniel day Lewis about 10 years ago. He has a house in Ireland, and was in the same shop as I was. He's famously shy, I was star struck, so after about a minute of nodding and grunting hellos we awkwardly shuffled away. Who did I bump into 5 minutes later....

I doubt he recounts this in cannes or l.a.

I also shared a couple of drinks with kerry king from the boy band/slash metal groovsters Slayer.

Also spent time in the company of Tony Robinson (baldrick )

Many moons ago was on the train from Perth to Dundee. I had my head phones in, and was reading the paper. I kept peeping over the top of the paper at the semi cute older lady seated opposite me.

As we approached outskirts of Dundee, I started to put away my paper and Walkman (ask your parents) and noticed the diminutive chap with the aforementioned lady.

just as we were passing Dundee airport.

and Bruce dickinson (iron maiden, again ask dad...) point out his plane to his p.a. and walks away up the train....

i'd been sitting opposite a boyhood hero for 20 minutes and totally blanked him for a blonde thing in lipstick....

Edited by St. Paddy

I was talking to one of the Proclaimers earlier this week. For those that know me on Facebook...I posted a picture of Colinton Church that I took on my cycle home...well, I was speaking to him as I took that - he lives across the road from it.

Not sure which one of the brothers he is :?

Magnus Magnusson used to be Chairman of the outfit I worked for. Some character. Used to throw no smoking signs out of the window if anyone was daft enough to leave one out. Drank like a fish 24/7, but like the Eurovision episode of Father Ted, would go from dishevelled, rambling drunk to hugely polished and professional as soon as a mic or camara appeared. His wife used to put him on the train in Glasgow, and his mistress would pick him up in Edinburgh. Because of the job I did, he used to refer to me as Head of the Gestapo, and I would call him Mein Fuhrer. Nightmare to work for, but was very much missed when he retired and then sadly passed.

Oliver Reed, in a bar in Provence. Sean Connery, at a black tie do in the EICC a few years back (Fred MacAulay was at that bash too). (most of) the Scotland team in Argentina. Prince Andrew at a charity gig. Rod Stewart and Penny Lancaster at le Gavroche. Graham Souness and David Murray in a restaurant in St Mary's St Edinburgh (l'Auberge??). The Proclaimers Craig and Charlie in a pub in Aberdour.

Edited by babychunder

was sat next to that dark haired lass from the show friends, courtney cox, had no idea she was famous until at the end of the flight when a couple of people went up to her. We had chatted during the flight about some aimless crap. Im guessing she liked that in retrospect. 

Have met good ol' George Bush jnr a couple of times who lives not far from us. Surprisingly doesn't use much security these days.