Football Pundits....the Best And The Worst

Edstar101

As we have to put up yet again with those supposedly in the know bleating on about how we need a strong Rangers in the top flight, what is everyones thoughts on the current crop of pundits that we require to tolerate talking utter shit on our tv's and radio's?

I am of the opinion that the BBC in particular need to look at refreshing their pool. They done it is England, the likes of Murphy and Jenas I think have been a good move.

Sevral of our 'experts' (and I use that term very loosely), need to go out to pasture as they no longer have their finger on the pulse of the modern game and the changing environment. They are stuck in the past, dreaming of the Old Firm battling it out for the league and the cups, barely having to research anything to do with the other teams that are there just as cannon fodder for the mighty two as they don't need to talk about them much.

On the radio, the likes of Chick, Murdo, Willie Miller etc need to move on. There are still good ones...Cosgrove, Michael Stewart (hated him as a player).

For Sportscene....who the hell gave that funny looking wee guy the job??? And who the hell decides the players that come on as guest pundits?? Steven Thompson fae St Mirren is actually okay, and I just can't decide about Pat Nevin....sometimes I think he talks sense, and other times he waffles garbage.

Steven Thompson is always pretty good.  I like Strachan on BT Sport, he's not afraid to tell the others to shut the hell up and call a spade a spade - I like his no nonsense approach (like Roy Keane but without being an absolute bawbag at the same time).  

Can't stand Pat Nevin

Biscuits is the best on Sportsound by a country mile, Jim Spence is good because he's clearly dedicated to football.  Chick is just dedicated to the Compliance Officer and Ibrox.  

I agree that Murphy and Jenas are good down south.  

The current crop of pundits are institutionalised, with a few exceptions.

The main problem is the built-in pro-Sevco domination that pervades Scottish footballing society, and some non-footballing society.

This domination is so great, that should some pundit express alternative opinions, he or she is immediately hit with a hate campaign.  Just look at the problems Jim Spence had to endure some months ago.  It almost came down to him being suspended by BBC Scotland.

It needs someone with guts to stand up to this, and come out with something radical such as 'The Rangers in the lower leagues has benefited Scottish football'.

Yet some balance of argument is required, least of all to represent the opposite views of many non OF supporters across the land.

Our own SF along with TC can get away with a certain amount because they are not seen as mainstream serious pundits, and are therefore forgiven of sinning.

We live in a footballing dictatorship as far as the media is concerned, where subversive views must be suppressed.

Would Stuart Consgrove please supply this forum with suggestions as to the best way to complain about the lack of balanced opinion, and to demand fair representation from the BBC.  By this I mean fair representation by full time pundits who will express alternative views, not just phone numbers for Saturday evening phone-ins.

The dictatorship needs to be broken up.

Jim Spence and Tom English are the only two Sportsound contributors I can find time for these days. They're the only two that don't immediately pander to the Old Firm/BBC party line and will at least try and talk up the game and reflect the positive feeling that's growing amongst fans of non-OF clubs.

Outwith the BBC, I read a lot what the STV sports team have to say on Twitter. Guys like Thom Watt and Grant Russell tend to be a lot more balanced and form their opinions from facts and figures, not just media propaganda and Old Firm bias. The actual TV sport/news output produced by STV is dire and amateurish, but I'll usually read their online reports before ones on the BBC website.

Edited by Kevin James Is On Stilts

I agree about the likes of Grant Russel, but disagree about Danny Murphy. It was well in to the second half of the FA Cup that I realised it was him talking and not Mark Lawrenson. Like so many at the BBC these days he offers nothing more than pub chatter.

Had the same issue with the FA Cup final! I missed the start and didn't realise that it was Murphy speaking and not Lawrenson.

i listen to the sportsound/5live/superscoreboard podcasts at work each day. after listening to super scoreboard sportsound is a breath of fresh air. richard gordon is a good host and i actually dont mind the drivel from chic hes like the panto villain even the pundits mock him. spencey is always good. cant stand michael stewart(he'll just argue with whatever has just been said).

as for 5live chappers is a good host an kelly cates certainly knows her stuff