Thimblerow

gingermunkie

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/perth-kinross/cinema-bars-and-restaurants-at-centre-of-30-million-perth-project-1.887257

Not sure how impressed I am with this idea. The Playhouse is honestly one of my favourite things about Perth and potential for a big chain to come in and undermine that seems a bit of a shame.

Seems to have been quite a lot of investment in Perth recently, could be wrong but think B&Q and Homebase are only definitely empty unit at retail park, and stories on other forum about things going in them both.

The centre although not thriving isn't that empty either.

However it seems like Perth has moved away from its support of independent retailers and that a real shame. Perth has potential to be different from other Scottish towns and cities, but has moved away from that especially since getting city status. Hopefully I'm just being pessimistic, and it'll end up as a boon but just worried it'll become a white elephant.

wheresbeef.jpg

Distinct lack of details here. The the BBC spat out the same copy which reads like a verbatim press release. Announcing a "preferred developer" seems a long way from being able to claim "£30m investment... 150 jobs". Total puff piece for this Scottish Cities Alliance quango and in turn the Scottish Govt.

Looking at the rest of their pipe dreams (PDF, Perth from page 29) I suspect this will end up as a vast bunch of flats with some doomed to be vacant retail units below. If it happens at all.

Should have this area as the public square, open market concept, plenty of open space with some thoughtful design could retain the car park for 90% of the time but introduce a shared space.. saves knocking down the city hall, but much thought should focus on city hall instead of this space just now..

Anyone know whats going into the old cutry's building? I heard it might be a gym and a drive through costa/starbucks?

Last I heard it was a Virgin gym and a couple of retail outlet stores, which just shows the council have no idea what they are doing - surprise, surprise!

I am so unimpressed, losing a 200 space car park to allegedly build resources that would bring 5 times that if the lies be told.... We do not need this development, across the road there is a building that could take a bowling alley and so many empty units that the current allegedly corrupt council is making a mockery of the Fair City, wonder how much the planning department are getting in 'bonuses'? New link road, Bertha development, Ruthvenfield development, expansion beyond the bypass, refusal for Sainsbury's, and just look at the state of our roads - this council should be dissolved with immediate effect and a new one elected and should include common citizens of Perth to give it balance!

I am so unimpressed, losing a 200 space car park to allegedly build resources that would bring 5 times that if the lies be told.... We do not need this development, across the road there is a building that could take a bowling alley and so many empty units that the current allegedly corrupt council is making a mockery of the Fair City, wonder how much the planning department are getting in 'bonuses'? New link road, Bertha development, Ruthvenfield development, expansion beyond the bypass, refusal for Sainsbury's, and just look at the state of our roads - this council should be dissolved with immediate effect and a new one elected and should include common citizens of Perth to give it balance!

I have also heard rumours of virgin active moving into that building, bit closento banntynes? Although with p&k council, nothing is out of the question. I drove through the retail park earlierm it's a sorry state. As you say there are big expansion plans for perth, yet the town centre is becoming an abandoned ghost town.

Last I heard it was a Virgin gym and a couple of retail outlet stores, which just shows the council have no idea what they are doing - surprise, surprise!

Is there not enough gyms in Perth. Bells,Rodney & Bannatynes. Given that most sign up in January & cancel in February.

The ball is in your court Kevin. If you feel that strongly stand for election next time.

Also, you repeatedly hear people saying someone should put a bowling alley in the retail park, usually in the context of a complaint about the council. Two things-one, what would that have to do with PKC and two, why would anyone want to do that. The bowling alley in Dundee shit down years ago due to lack of custom in a city three times the size. It has sat unused now for years with no new operator willing to take it over-despite the equipment all being in situ. Why would one prosper in Perth?

Also, you repeatedly hear people saying someone should put a bowling alley in the retail park, usually in the context of a complaint about the council. Two things-one, what would that have to do with PKC and two, why would anyone want to do that. The bowling alley in Dundee shit down years ago due to lack of custom in a city three times the size. It has sat unused now for years with no new operator willing to take it over-despite the equipment all being in situ. Why would one prosper in Perth?

Brilliant Mr Beatson :laugh:  :laugh:

This has been redeveloped in Dundee think last year was last time I was there or earlier this year and is retail outlets now.

Sigh...usual Perth folk moaning about expanding the "City" beyond a tiny wee shopping centre and single high street worth of shops. Swear if some of the folk I've heard moaning the past few weeks had been in charge over the years, we'd be lucky to have a post office, corner shop and a single pub.

They're probably the same folk moaning about no shops and nothing to do in Perth. As for Thimblerow, they're not losing parking spaces with a multi-storey being built as part of the complex. Maybe it will give us some family friendly, affordable places to eat rather than the posh nosh available in most parts of town. It might also encourage big businesses to move into St Catherines if they feel there are a number of shoppers being pulled from the centre of town to just the other side of the street.

Oh and jobs! you can't say no to that!

• 5 weeks later...

Having just moved back to perth, been away for the last 25odd years, the city centre is in a prettty dire state.
Away from the High St its really grim looking.

The traditional view of a town high street is long dead, the internet and retail parks killed that 20 years ago.
and its been a slow lingering death for so many places, PKDC need to realise times have changed.
City centres are only going to survive if they become social areas - specialty shops, pubs, cinemas, cafes etc

Pedestrianise 4 blocks in every direction around the high street, and provide adequate public transport and
car parks outwith

All it needs is a bit of joined up thinking from the planners.

Given the local produce and crafts, let alone its geographic position, people should be flocking to Perth.