Thimblerow

gingermunkie

Leslie dont be a pedantic pr*ck!  it really doesn't suit you.

If you read the guys post he just said he returned to Perth after 25 years, where i'm pretty sure the Council was known as a District Council back in they days.  We all knew what he meant. 

pedantic did it not hit a iceberg and sink

Leslie dont be a pedantic pr*ck! it really doesn't suit you.

If you read the guys post he just said he returned to Perth after 25 years, where i'm pretty sure the Council was known as a District Council back in they days. We all knew what he meant.

I really am out of the loop.

If they are not pkdc, who are they these days?

Having just moved back to perth, been away for the last 25odd years, the city centre is in a prettty dire state.

Away from the High St its really grim looking.

The traditional view of a town high street is long dead, the internet and retail parks killed that 20 years ago.

and its been a slow lingering death for so many places, PKDC need to realise times have changed.

City centres are only going to survive if they become social areas - specialty shops, pubs, cinemas, cafes etc

Pedestrianise 4 blocks in every direction around the high street, and provide adequate public transport and

car parks outwith

All it needs is a bit of joined up thinking from the planners.

Given the local produce and crafts, let alone its geographic position, people should be flocking to Perth.

I disagree. I was back in Perth around the Perth show time and thought the city was looking as good as it has in the last ten years

I disagree. I was back in Perth around the Perth show time and thought the city was looking as good as it has in the last ten years

firstly thanks for the comments - im sure the cooncil have spent your poll tax (or whatever they want to call it) well over the last few decades dropping the "D" from their name and corporate rebranding! Well theres only that and Xmas lights celebrities to spend the cash on.

If the city centre is looking better now than it has in the last ten years - ive only ever been back to watch the footy or the odd night out - thank god i didnt move back earlier. South St looks like downtown Damascus.

firstly thanks for the comments - im sure the cooncil have spent your poll tax (or whatever they want to call it) well over the last few decades dropping the "D" from their name and corporate rebranding! Well theres only that and Xmas lights celebrities to spend the cash on.

If the city centre is looking better now than it has in the last ten years - ive only ever been back to watch the footy or the odd night out - thank god i didnt move back earlier. South St looks like downtown Damascus.

Aw no need to thank me really. You are too kind.

I don't live in Perth anymore but still very proud to call it home and bring the family I have in England up to show off the city. I take it you are not living in Perth anymore, so you should see that every small city or large town has the same problems.....mainly locals moaning about the council, yet when they do try and be proactive and initiate change, the same locals moan at that too because it's...errrrr.......well..............its change and they don't like change because it's threatening and scary.

As for the Xmas lights....I heard from family and friends it was great for the kids.....the future of Perth...maybe not to the taste of the blue rinse brigade, but it's about time the city did do more civic activities for families and the younger generation. That attitude is exactly why there is a brain drain in Perth with younger people and it's exactly why old moaners like to settle back in the city because generally -and I am stereotyping here- older people don't like change nor being taken out of their comfort zone.

Lastly, if you think south street is bad you have led a sheltered life. Canuck must be Heaven.

Aw no need to thank me really. You are too kind.

I don't live in Perth anymore but still very proud to call it home and bring the family I have in England up to show off the city. I take it you are not living in Perth anymore, so you should see that every small city or large town has the same problems.....mainly locals moaning about the council, yet when they do try and be proactive and initiate change, the same locals moan at that too because it's...errrrr.......well..............its change and they don't like change because it's threatening and scary.

As for the Xmas lights....I heard from family and friends it was great for the kids.....the future of Perth...maybe not to the taste of the blue rinse brigade, but it's about time the city did do more civic activities for families and the younger generation. That attitude is exactly why there is a brain drain in Perth with younger people and it's exactly why old moaners like to settle back in the city because generally -and I am stereotyping here- older people don't like change nor being taken out of their comfort zone.

Lastly, if you think south street is bad you have led a sheltered life. Canuck must be Heaven.

hi essex - you obv missed my earlier post - ive just moved back to Perth after being away for many years. Given ive got at least 20 years before i can retire i dont think im in the blue rinse brigade quite yet either.

Ive posted before, perthshire is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places on earth, perth city centre is however a different matter. Im all for change, the more the better in fact, because the city certainly needs it.

Slightly off topic but what is the smart parking all about ???.

Yeh thay did take me by suprise. Went into multi sto car park.....had registered plate clocked which was fine.....parked and walked from.the car to go shopping.

When walking back to car with wife and kids, I thought 'this system is brilliant'...I typed in my reg number into parking meter thinking it would tell me how long i been in and charge me accordingly....but no. fck me I had to remember what time I got in and pay the right amount....why doesn't the machine just tell me how much I need to pay?!?! It knows......it's almost like it's saying " I saw u come in, I know how much you should pay, I wonder if ur feckin maths is as good as mine.....if u get it wrong I'm gona fine u a sht load of money...go ooooon get it wrong" I had a sweat on trying to remember what time I got in at.

That's not smart parking

Smart parking is the machine remembering when my car came in and telling me exactly how much I need to pay based on my reg... Not testing me as my 3 year old is bursting for a sht and needing to get back home to my parents!

hi essex - you obv missed my earlier post - ive just moved back to Perth after being away for many years. Given ive got at least 20 years before i can retire i dont think im in the blue rinse brigade quite yet either.

Ive posted before, perthshire is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places on earth, perth city centre is however a different matter. Im all for change, the more the better in fact, because the city certainly needs it.

Soz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...