Hearts V Saints. Sunday 2 August 12.30 K-O.

Lack of pace in defence & attack did for us today. Their No 19 bullied our defence & got away with diving,desent,kicking the ball away &fouling.Scobbie is a good stand in for Lb & Cb bjut never first choice

McKay will I think beok especially with a decent partner.

Thought Brown was OK when became on.

We kept punting high balls to Sutton who did his best to avoid them.

Lappin well off the pace & Wotherspoon has been poor since end of last season.

3_1 down & no sub's ?.

Good save by Mannus but would like to see Clark in goal.

First off all I apologise if I have already posted this elsewhere on WAP my brain seems to be a wee bit fried just now.I am posting this after returning home via quite a few pubs after the game.

If we continue to defend like today we will seriously struggle this season.

The refereeing today was abysmal:

My understanding of the rule was that a throw in ordered to be retaken because it was taken from the wrong place was a foul throw (ie the throw went to the opposition)

Hearts timewasting at times was embarrassing.

Tynecastle when it is full is a magnificent ground producing a fantastic atmosphere.

At times today we actually played some pretty decent football and with a wee bit of good luck we will be nearer the top than the bottom of the league come May

Lack of pace in defence & attack did for us today. Their No 19 bullied our defence & got away with diving,desent,kicking the ball away &fouling.Scobbie is a good stand in for Lb & Cb bjut never first choice

McKay will I think beok especially with a decent partner.

Thought Brown was OK when became on.

We kept punting high balls to Sutton who did his best to avoid them.

Lappin well off the pace & Wotherspoon has been poor since end of last season.

3_1 down & no sub's ?.

Good save by Mannus but would like to see Clark in goal.

I thought Tommy got the 2 unforced subs perfect, getting back to 3.3 proved it for me

i think you will find it's more than one game so don't wet your pants

as soon as ando and frazer are back the better

In a few months, Frazer Wright will be 36. The days of Anderson and Wright as a long-term partnership are over. I'd just like one of them back to talk McKay through a game.

I didn't see anything today that made me worry about our league status. Sure the defending wasn't up to scratch, but we've had games like that before and Tommy and Callum are great at working on the defence and patching holes after poor displays. It now looks like goals can come from our forwards and we have enough strength in an injury hit squad to make viable substitutions.

There are players I'd like to see more from though. I'm a fully paid up member or the David Wotherspoon Fan Club, but he's been off is form for a time now. I'd like to see more confidence and heart from him. His head seems to go down and that's him for the game. I'd also like to see more from Brian Easton. I think he rarely has a bad game, but I think he could be far more influential when it comes to team spirit. There's plenty of grit and determination in his play, but I'd like to see him encourage that in others; it's something we're missing with MacKay being out. And then there's Tam Scobbie. I heard it mentioned in the stands that he has all the hallmarks of being a cult figure at the club. I don't disagree with that, but he's inconsistent and starts losing the plot when he makes mistakes or the referees make a made decision. He needs someone to calm him down.

Finally there's Mannus. When he joined the club I thought he was the goalkeeper that Saints had missed for a good 10-15 years. However is there more to a modern goal keeper than just being a great shot stopper? I would suggest that there is. I just don't think he communicates that well with the defence. It's like they've never played together almost every single game. I don't blame him for the Alashkert goal at McDiarmid, but he didn't read that situation well at all and it wasn't the first time, nor will it be the last. From the little I've seen of Clark in the pre-season I think he could be more of an all-round keep than Mannus. Perhaps we should give him a run out sooner rather than later.

At least we can't defend as poorly as that again.

Was interesting watching Sutton today. Just as fans of his previous teams said, he'll do nothing for 90 mins but put one good ball to him and he'll score. The importance has to be on quality into the box now. Spoony is capable, and yet again gets an assist, but he has to be more consistent.

For two was left in one on one by the defenders where striker always favourite, the penalty was poor but was close to him and very low so I wouldn't fault Mannus, for me, to fault Mannus is harsh.

We were poor defensively today, was always going to be issues during a transition to virtually a new back line, we are only one game in and I think McKay has a lot of quality and will develop into a good player for us, I do agree that Scobbie however is running out if chances but don't think he would have started if wright fully fit, was gutting to lose and so cheaply but I actually feel more depressed reading some of the reaction on here : (

Mannus is a quality keeper but he had a bad game today. Saying that though Goalkeepers are unsettled when they aren't protected. They start coming out trying to sort out the mess and inevitably can make it worse. Mannus is normally flawless but he's one of the best protected keepers in the league. That's why he hardly ever comes for crosses.

Mannus is a quality keeper but he had a bad game today. Saying that though Goalkeepers are unsettled when they aren't protected. They start coming out trying to sort out the mess and inevitably can make it worse. Mannus is normally flawless but he's one of the best protected keepers in the league. That's why he hardly ever comes for crosses.

No he didn't. That's utter folly.

I also don't agree that any blame can be levelled at Mannus and think it's absurd to suggest Clark should "get a run out". The goals were bad defending from the defenders. He saved the penalty he conceded (after some more bad defending) then the defenders were too slow to react to the rebound. Mannus is totally blameless for me in a calamitous defensive horror show. We will be back to normal next week, of that I have no doubt!

I actually think the least bad goal from a defensive point of view was number one. Freak incident in no way indicative of one persons or our whole defences ability. The other three however...

Edited by SaintSam1884