St Johnstone V Ross County - 11/8/15

franco

Another very tough game. It would be very harsh to drop cummins after his record so far and I reckon a partnership of him and sutton could cause county problems

Mannus

Shaugnessey. Wright. McKay. Easton

Millar

Wotherspoon. O'halloran

Davidson

Sutton Cummins

Big lift needed after Saturday's performance. Fair to say that Sutton cannot play the lone striker role. Looks more to flick the bll onto supporting striker rather than hold up the ball. Change in midfield needed. Feel Spoony needs a couple of games on the bench to give them hunger to earn his place and putting in big performances. Even though Muzz was the best player by far, got a feeling he might be rested to not risk an injury for returning so quickly.

Mannus

Joe            Mckay             Wright       Easton

MOH         Midge             Lappin        Craig

Sutton            Cummins

If Millar is fit then I would line up something like:

Mannus

Shaughnessy McKay Wright Easton

O'Halloran Millar Davidson Craig

MacLean

Cummins

I've included MacLean because last two times I've seen him play (against Blackpool and on Saturday) I felt the game changed in our favour when he came on. Someone else alluded to his must win mentality and I think that's a fair point about him. He is a real fighter and while we could argue all day long that other people deserve a place based on ability, we've missed the character of guys like Wright, Davidson and MacLean at times. They define our success in recent seasons. I also like the look of:

Mannus

O'Halloran Wotherspoon Millar Davidson Craig

Cummins

With Millar sitting slightly behind the other four midfielders protecting the wobbly defence! I really think we need to start with MOH and Craig in the wide positions as this was the positioning on Saturday that finally allowed us to get into the game. Had we started with the team that finished on Saturday I think we may have won that match in spite of some horrible defending. You could make a case for Sutton or Kane to start with Cummins but I think with the right midfield and the right striker (i.e not Sutton) 4-5-1 could be a better formation for us.

Edited by SaintSam1884

I think there's a fair chance County will go 4-4-2 in this game. Curran and Boyce apparently played well on Saturday, and I can't see either of them being dropped for this match. We MUST go 4-4-2 in this game too. I know it opens us up more than the manager would like, but we don't have the pace to get up the park quick enough to support a lone striker.

I'd go;

Mannus

MOH Millar Davidson Craig

Cummins Sutton

Cummins has earned a start and, with proper support, Sutton will be effective against County too. The number of headers he won on Saturday was obscene, made even worse by the fact he was putting them into where his strike partner would be, but no one was able to support him quick enough for that to be effective. I think Sutton has managed 13 goals in 15 matches against County in his career too.

I get the calls for Maclean to start, but I don't think Sutton deserves to be dropped from the starting 11 after Saturday. Lappin was horrendous again and I'll die a little inside if he starts. Spoony needs a break too I think. People point to him being poor so far this season, but he's still managed to create a goal for us and was at the heart of a couple of decent moves on Saturday past. MOH looks effective running on the right and Craig and Easton seem to link up well down the left.

Get the ball into the box and both Sutton and Cummins look capable of putting it away.

Mannus

O'Halloran Brown Davidson Craig

Cummins Kane

I like that although don't he will play Fraz in 2 games in 4 days.

As long as Lappin,Spoony & Sutton are not in team although I would do what Well did & give him last 10 mins.

I like that although don't he will play Fraz in 2 games in 4 days.

As long as Lappin,Spoony & Sutton are not in team although I would do what Well did & give him last 10 mins.

Can anyone explain to me what Sutton did wrong on Saturday?

He won plenty long aimless hoofs towards him but the support was non existent? 

I see a few have started the same striker-hate shown towards Graham despite Sutton not doing a lot wrong so far. 

Would be nuts to say 3 games in that this is a must win game.. cos it's not.

What it is though, is a  must look like a team game, a  must play for  90 minutes game, a  must at least look like we are heading in the correct direction and a must look like the players know what the manager wants them to do game.

If we get most of that  and get beat I will be happier than if we get phuck all and get beat.

That said, I think we will win handsomely..  I could just be bonkers though...