Brad's Charge

sainties sheep

The controversial bit is the stress on the word typical on "typical foreigner". How do you show that that action is typical of someone who isn't British. You undeniably cannot.

If Brad had only said Juanma was a cheat and not implied that typical foreigners were then he'd likely still be being charged but for something like bringing game into disrepute and questions of PC would be nowhere near it - and I'd agree with your point

I take your point it is a fair one.  However, the Complaint refers specifically to "Juan Manual Delgado Lloria" and quotes word for word the comment about holding his head and rolling about.  I would argue that the way the Complaint is worded lays more emphasis on the possibilty that Juan is a cheat.  If the Compliance Officer was only worried about a slur on foreign players why mention the rest of the comments.

just because youre not offended doesnt mean nobody else is or it shud just be swept under the carpet. you just cant say things like that these days and its highly ignorant

we are a family club and dont need this kind of bad publicity.

Anybody who gets offended by anything as trivial as this needs to give their head a wobble. There was no racist or hateful meaning behind it for there to be any offense taken. There's no need to focus solely on the words used and to ignore the context, and then to act outraged on the behalf of others who more than likely couldn't care less about the comment made!  

Presumably we should all now apologise profusely for stating that Dundonians partake in inappropriate incestuous relations?

Anybody who gets offended by anything as trivial as this needs to give their head a wobble. There was no racist or hateful meaning behind it for there to be any offense taken. There's no need to focus solely on the words used and to ignore the context, and then to act outraged on the behalf of others who more than likely couldn't care less about the comment made!  

Presumably we should all now apologise profusely for stating that Dundonians partake in inappropriate incestuous relations?

Who are you to decide what someone can and cannot be offended by?

Brad McKay should not have said it and we should just accept whatever punishment he gets and move on.

i cant believe ppl think this is an over reaction

you cant say things like that nowadays, not only is it plain ignorant its offensive to the great number of foreigners we have playing in the country.

saying we should not give any more interviews to the bbc is like some wee spoilt child going in the huff

Rubbish.

I deal with this type of comment said by individuals every day and make assessments on whether it is or is not criminal, a hate crime or incident.

100% guarantee, Brad's comments were none of the aforementioned.

People think they have an idea of what is and is not regarded as hate / racial / discriminatory incidents based upon media sensationalism which is miles from the truth.

If you would like to test your legal knowledge and debating skills, please let me know. :-)

Rubbish.

I deal with this type of comment said by individuals every day and make assessments on whether it is or is not criminal, a hate crime or incident.

100% guarantee, Brad's comments were none of the aforementioned.

People think they have an idea of what is and is not regarded as hate / racial / discriminatory incidents based upon media sensationalism which is miles from the truth.

If you would like to test your legal knowledge and debating skills, please let me know. :-)

its not a criminal incident or hate crime, i didnt say it was

you seem very confused here despite apparently knowing better than poor wee laymen like me

its not a criminal incident or hate crime, i didnt say it was

you seem very confused here despite apparently knowing better than poor wee laymen like me

It was a poor choice of language on Brad's part.

There was no ignorance nor was there anything offensive, as you state in any of his quote.

People may perceive it to be, but, that does not mean it is in the true meaning of the word.

It was a poor choice of language on Brad's part.

There was no ignorance nor was there anything offensive, as you state in any of his quote.

People may perceive it to be, but, that does not mean it is in the true meaning of the word.

another one who thinks they can dictate to people what they can or cant be offended by

and of course there was ignorance in what he says, unless you believe foreigners are typically cheats

Could be it's both the disrepute and the other comments as both sections of his interview feature word for word in the notice and no set charge is mentioned from what I saw.

The BBC are certainly going for the foreigner angle, maybe Brogan onto something

Once again I'm broadly in agreement with you.  Whichever one of us is right about the main thrust of the "Complaint" Brad had better be able to justify his "rolling about" comment.  If he can't he is in trouble but if he can then to be punished for drawing attention to a player who is trying to get fellow professionals booked or sent off is a bit much.  A warning to be more careful with his language in future would surely suffice, we are after all talking about a 22 year old football player not a guy with experience of the pitfalls that are there today for anyone who is a bit careless in their use of language.

It would annoy me in particular given that on the evidence of the Josh Meekings case the Compliance Officer himself is no great shakes at interpreting English since he did not seem to understand his own remit.