Admission Prices

shiresaint

Im technically :wink: on my last year of getting me and the young lad in the Ormond stand for £15.   After that we will have to pay another £8 to get in the Ormond.

Thats still the same as me going in the Main or East on my own so can't complain too much.

I'm surprised the Ormond is not used more by families to be honest.  

Okay the view from the East is arguably better and I would prefer to sit in there but at the end of the day I am at the game supporting the team and can afford to attend more games that way.

Saints have done well in this aspect.

I think if football was free or priced like Germany every week, attendances would go up, but not for one game.  People would get into the habit of football at the weekends over months or years if it wasn't so expensive.  There is no way that would benefit the club financially though, so it won't happen.  One free game would just mean no income for one game.

I think if football was free or priced like Germany every week, attendances would go up, but not for one game.  People would get into the habit of football at the weekends over months or years if it wasn't so expensive.  There is no way that would benefit the club financially though, so it won't happen.  One free game would just mean no income for one game.

But its a shame. because of the cost, people have in fact gone the other way. Got into the habit of finding something else to do on a Saturday instead of going to the football. 

Personally I'm lost without it on a Saturday...

Not so very long ago, match-day income was the entirety of St Johnstone’s revenue, bumped up by the odd donation, income from pools money and the profits – such as they were - from the old Aid Shop.

If anyone around at that time was asked to peer into the future and ask what they thought would happen to our ticket prices if our revenue was boosted by the likes of shirt and player sponsorship, significant off-field income and TV and league sponsorship money, I’m sure they’d have predicted that ticket prices would fall. Instead, over the past 25 years, the cost of attending a game has nearly trebled in real terms.

It’s hard to pinpoint a reason. Certainly players’ wages have risen, but more importantly, the cost of running a football club has increased: we now employ all sorts of analysts, scientists and support coaches that wouldn’t have been around a decade or so ago.

But that can only account for some of the increase. In the end, I suspect it’s down to simple economics. For Saints’ core support, attending a match illustrates what economists would call ‘inelastic demand’. Like beer and cigarettes, supporting Saints is addictive: some fans will stick with irrespective of price. (How, otherwise, can you explain people paying £26 to sit in poor seats at Celtic Park this weekend in the likelihood we’ll be well beaten?).

While inelastic demand means you can maximise revenue, its downside is that – like cigarettes– the revenue pool inevitably shrinks. Casual fans are unlikely to pay the extortionate sums demanded by clubs, so these people are either lost to the game, or turn up once a season for a big match. Cutting prices for one game won’t make a difference. The great problem with maximising revenue by benefitting from inelastic demand is that it’s very difficult to reverse it.

Brogan, a very good post. One thing that I didn't agree with though is relating cost of attending to St Johnstone winning or losing.

If you're talking about success making a difference, it will affect the larger picture - look at Hearts' and Rangers' attendances. But week by week I don't think its as significant a variable as it used to be, because around 80-90 per cent of our support has season tickets. Even when we're losing, the ticket is paid for, so you might as well turn up. Affects away support much more.

Club has to make significantly more money before prices can come down. I don't know much about it but surely putting things like club lottery and ticket sales online would make things more accessible to the many supporters outwith Perth. Would it be an expensive thing to set up in the grand scheme of things?

FYI I'm not suggesting that this would result in cheaper tickets but it could give the club some extra bucks....

Club has to make significantly more money before prices can come down. I don't know much about it but surely putting things like club lottery and ticket sales online would make things more accessible to the many supporters outwith Perth. Would it be an expensive thing to set up in the grand scheme of things?

FYI I'm not suggesting that this would result in cheaper tickets but it could give the club some extra bucks....

Taking your comment bout puting Saints Lotto online , you don't have to live locally to do a Saints lotto ticket.

If you live further afield, you can, log into the Official Saints site and the lotto is shown, second item down on the left hand side.

There is the facility to pay by Standing Order.

Taking your comment bout puting Saints Lotto online , you don't have to live locally to do a Saints lotto ticket.

If you live further afield, you can, log into the Official Saints site and the lotto is shown, second item down on the left hand side.

There is the facility to pay by Standing Order.

The facility for the Lotto Standing Order is there, but it's still an incredibly antiquated system in this day and age.

I pay by standing order and to set this up I had to first get in touch with the club, download the form, print it out, fill it in by hand, scan it in and then email it back. Quite a lot of steps when in reality it should be as simple as putting my details into a form on the website.

They should be making it easy as possible for customers to give them their money.

Edited by Kevin James Is On Stilts

The facility for the Lotto Standing Order is there, but it's still an incredibly antiquated system in this day and age.
I pay by standing order and to set this up I had to first get in touch with the club, download the form, print it out, fill it in by hand, scan it in and then email it back. Quite a lot of steps when in reality it should be as simple as putting my details into a form on the website.

They should be making it easy as possible for customers to give them their money.

Take your point, didn't realise there was quite a lot of steps. 

Take your point, didn't realise there was quite a lot of steps. 

It's not the end of the world, and I didn't mind doing it, but it would be so so so easy and practically cost-free to introduce a system that let you sign up your details through the website.

I went onto the site with the intention of registering for the lotto, but for a casual visitors that may sign up on a whim then an easy system is what will convert them quickly.

It's not the end of the world, and I didn't mind doing it, but it would be so so so easy and practically cost-free to introduce a system that let you sign up your details through the website.
I went onto the site with the intention of registering for the lotto, but for a casual visitors that may sign up on a whim then an easy system is what will convert them quickly.

Have you contacted the club about your points/suggestions? 

It's difficult to compare football and theatre.  You tend to go to football every second week, more if you go to away games.  Most folk will go to the theatre 3 or 4 times a year, if that.

rubbish, there are plenty of people that go to the theatre more than that. They just tend to not live in backwater towns with 1 theatre! 

Football represents decent value, it's expensive but not much more than any other form of entertainment.

Can anyone explain why at most games :

1. 16-18 year olds get in to the East Stand at reduced prices but not in the West  (even at a couple of quid dearer than the East to maintain the pricing difference in both stands?)?

2. Why when away fans are in the West their 16-18 year olds do get a discount but our 16-18 year olds 20 feet away with the same facilities don't?  And

3. Why , unlike most clubs, we don't allow students reduced admission on production of the necessary evidence?

Can anyone explain why at most games :

1. 16-18 year olds get in to the East Stand at reduced prices but not in the West  (even at a couple of quid dearer than the East to maintain the pricing difference in both stands?)?

2. Why when away fans are in the West their 16-18 year olds do get a discount but our 16-18 year olds 20 feet away with the same facilities don't?  And

3. Why , unlike most clubs, we don't allow students reduced admission on production of the necessary evidence?

Ans to Q2 is that the far end of the West stand is the away section for smaller crowds and is full of the mongs of society, whereas the rest of the West stand is for the slightly more discerning Saints fan who doesn't want to sing and so pay a bit more to look over at the East stand having fun.... Is that about right?

• 5 months later...

Family tickets for the home game on Saturday 20th February 2016 against Motherwell,  go on sale in Tesco stores on the Crieff Road  and Edinburgh Road from Monday 15th to Friday 19th Feb.  (2pm to 6pm)

Price £15 for One adult and up to 2 children (under the age of 13).

Compared with £46 for Dense Park tonight!!

Edited by Tranmere Saintee

Family tickets for the home game on Saturday 20th February 2016 against Motherwell,  go on sale in Tesco stores on the Crieff Road  and Edinburgh Road from Monday 15th to Friday 19th Feb.  (2pm to 6pm)

Price £15 for One adult and up to 2 children (under the age of 13).

is that just the ormond or any stand ?