Frazer Wright - An Appreciation

Kyle

The forum was obviously down yesterday, otherwise I (or someone else) would've set up a thread for Frazer Wright.

As we all know, Frazer Wright left the club yesterday. He made 128 appearances for us and I'm sure he scored 5 goals. Wright did the impossible - he actually improved the defence after the departure of Michael Duberry. Every year Wright was with us, we finished top 6 and qualified for Europe. He was also my man of the match in the cup final and scored the winner against Rosenborg in Trondheim.

The Anderson and Wright partnership may not have been the prettiest in terms of footballing ability, but they were certainly the most effective pairing at centre back that I can remember playing together for such a sustained time at Saints. Even last season, it was Wright's re-emergence last October that was one of the catalysts for our revival after a horror run of 6 straight defeats.

When I saw the rumours about him leaving yesterday morning, I didn't want to believe it. Once it was confirmed, I was pretty gutted. His goodbye message on twitter (which I will add on in a separate post) is extremely sad to read too.

The word 'legend' is banded about too much in football nowadays and 4 years at one club wouldn't normally constitute that. But I think the vast majority would put him in that category for all that we achieved with him in the heart of our defence. Everyone who has met him seems to agree that he's a really nice bloke on top of all that too.

I'd like to wish Frazer all the very best in his future away from Saints. If he does sign for Dumbarton as is rumoured, then I wish him every success there too.

#ThankyouFraz #Goodbyeoldfriend

According to someone on Twitter he's doing his badges at Dumbarton, but will still work for Saints one day a week.

So Tommy is saying in today's courier. Training 2 nights a week at Dumbarton and offered a day a week at Saints by Tommy whilst working towards his badges. Wright reckons the move to part time might give him an extra year on his playing career.

Would definitely rank him up there in legend territory.  I'd wager there was nobody better in Scotland at winning the ball in the air every single time against top quality strikers. For such a tough footballer he is an absolute gentleman off the pitch too.  Glad to hear he'll still be around the club, and wish him all the best at Dumbarton.  

A future Saints manager I hope.  I remember Tommy saying in an interview a couple of years back that he felt Frazer was real management material, and I hope this turns out to be the case.

Saddened that we won't get to see him make Ciftci cry again though.

Well put Kyle.  A brilliant record for Saints:  four top 6 seasons and subsequent European adventures, along with a huge number of clean sheets and our first major trophy definitely give Fraser legendary status.

These days there are a lot of imposters play at centre half who get loads of praise simply because they pass the ball out.  Yet when it comes down to it they leak goals and maybe don't like the uglier side of the game.  When it comes down to purely defending Fraser was one of the best in the league.  Incredible ability in the air, and got a lot of distance on headers    to clear any danger.  He put his body on the line regularly, throwing himself into blocks and tackles fearlessly.  His positional sense and reading of the game were also superb.

He overcame adversity and stick on a couple of occasions: after the 4-0 league cup semi roasting by Aberdeen there was a lot of comments about past it and too slow.  Similarly last season after one of the home European ties everyone was saying he was past it and calling for Scobbie to be brought in.  He more than proved everyone wrong both times:- going on to finish sixth and win the scottish cup, then last season again being outstanding as our defence took us to an incredible 4th place.  A really strong character.

His towering headers and crunching tackles will be sorely missed, as will the stability he brings the team.  I'll also miss that innocent walk away after he has just left another striker in a crippled heap on the ground.

Fraser Wright Wright Wright thank you for 4 brilliant years, you will always get a warm welcome at McDiarmid Park.

An absolute legend.

The goal in Trondheim and the Cup Final performance were stand outs. Says he ranks winding Ciftci up in the final in his top 3 moments at St Johnstone.

A great guy and was a privilege to hand him the Highland Saints Magic Moment award for that goal in Norway.

Glad he is joining my wee team!

A fantastic servant to the club, tremendous attitude and great no nonsense defender. Will always remember his tangles (and words!) with Ciftci. Don't think their will be many/any centre halfs with better goals against record during their careers with Saints. Hope the club invite him back so that the fans can show their appreciation.

It didn't come as a surprise that Frazer has moved on. In the week leading up to the Dundee game the writing was on the wall and the fact that Cup Tie was played ahead of him on the Saturday confirmed what I thought.

At Frazers age he needs games and I think it will be great for him at Dumbarton. Would not be surprised if Killie maybe try and make a last minute bid for him as they need some shoring up in defence.

Overall Frazer has given Saints his all and will always be remembered for the way he dealt with Cifti. Thanks for the memories Frazer and good luck!!!!

Most of us will never forget the TV shot of Fraz giving it the loony sign to Cifti near the end of our Cup Final with that big grin on his face......that just said "you might have been in my pocket all afternoon but don't f#ck with my mate Ando" !!! One of my best saints TV clips EVER. Like Kyle, Fraz was my MoM on that famous May 17 day. Fraz might not have been Alan Hansen but he is one of the bravest defenders  ever to pull on the St Johnstone shirt. Geez, how many times did he break his nose, the ugly fecker.

Time moves on and the average age of our defence had to change at some point. All the best wishes in the world to Fraz and I know he will always receive a heroes welcome when ever he returns.

LEGEND.....Fvcking right he is !

Most of us will never forget the TV shot of Fraz giving it the loony sign to Cifti near the end of our Cup Final with that big grin on his face......that just said "you might have been in my pocket all afternoon but don't f#ck with my mate Ando" !!! One of my best saints TV clips EVER. Like Kyle, Fraz was my MoM on that famous May 17 day. Fraz might not have been Alan Hansen but he is one of the bravest defenders  ever to pull on the St Johnstone shirt. Geez, how many times did he break his nose, the ugly fecker.

Time moves on and the average age of our defence had to change at some point. All the best wishes in the world to Fraz and I know he will always receive a heroes welcome when ever he returns.

LEGEND.....Fvcking right he is !

Agreed, although it wasn't a 'loony sign'. It was a 'mock-crying sign'. :wink:

Thanks Frazer.

Edited by The Real Saints

So many great points which make Fraz stand out not least his "fortress" performances for us over the years.

For me, I'll always remember him for applauding us as an away support after he had warmed up before going in to get ready for kick off- he always made me feel like he was personally thanking us waving to us and applauding, making us feel like we were part of the team.

Thanks for everything Fraser and good luck for the future.