Michael O'Halloran

PauloPerth

This might be far fetched for some, interested to hear the opinions of others.

on this season's form surely he is worth a place in the Scotland squad.  I cannot believe James Forrest is a better player and yet he is a regular and played part of both recent defeats.

if Strachan is indeed adopting a policy where you only get called up if you play at Championship level or above down south, or for celtic up here, then personally I would rather he was punted.

a player shouldn't have to feel he has to move away from Saints/ Motherwell/ Dundee etc just to get a call up.  For what it's worth I also feel Shinnie should be in the squad.

This season, MOH has one goal in europa league, and 3 assists that I can think of off the top of my head. He has made outstanding runs with the ball in every game, and I have not seen a better wide Scottish player this season so far.

We obviously see far more of him than other wide players, so am I being biased?

By any measure he's better than Forrest - but then Forrest, by most reasonable measures, shouldn't be playing international football.

But I'm long past trying to understand the schizophrenic logic of Strachan's team selections or his penchant for picking his mates from down south.

He's good enough to at least be included in a squad, but then so were lots of other Saints players over the years (many considerably better than O'Halloran). You only have to look at Strachan's squad to see what his selection policy is. If you don't play for the right club, he's not interested.

It's one of many reasons I find it incredibly difficult to take any interest in Scotland these days.

Every time I watch Scotland play I think thank God my mum was Italian !!

But aye I would have MoH in the squad and would start with Griffiths and wouldn't have Hutton anywhere near the bus never mind the team.

Edited by Oldermoresensiblepack

I'm not saying he should get a start, I agree that defensively he maybe would struggle.  But there are many games where we seem to be a goal behind, and as a wildcard to throw on and provide a threat in the last 20 minutes then yes, on this season's form I would pick him.

Also against a Georgia or a Gibraltar you feel over 90 minutes he would make something happen.  Yes his end product isn't always reliable, but he's getting better in that regard, and is well ahead of run-the-ball-out-for-a-goal-kick Forrest.

Its amazing how supporters and the media can do such a massive turnaround - When Strachan took over he went on a good run of results everyone was bumming him up big style -Suddenly Scotland lose 2 games and the mood changes.

Happens at every club across the world, including Saints. It's just amplified more with Strachan because it's the national team.

Is he Scottish though?

For what its worth on the 2 games over the weekend Strachan got it wrong in 1 ie Georgia team selection was wrong subs were wrong and too late. Germany he got it right but  we were beaten by a much better team, who would have beaten anybody they played last night

Is he Scottish though?

For what its worth on the 2 games over the weekend Strachan got it wrong in 1 ie Georgia team selection was wrong subs we. re wrong and too late. Germany he got it right but  we were beaten by a much better team, who would have beaten anybody they played last night

Not sure he got it right sgainst germany. Forrest hardly touched the ball ,Mulgrew was as shite at left back as he was at Aberdeen & his subs were strange. I would have taken Forrest off(preferably before kick off) & had the thub cutting in from the left on his right foot.(should have been right on left foot)

Sorry, i just remembered this was a thread about o'halloran. No he is not ready for cap yet.

Edited by Cagey
don't know left from righy

Is he Scottish though?

For what its worth on the 2 games over the weekend Strachan got it wrong in 1 ie Georgia team selection was wrong subs were wrong and too late. Germany he got it right but  we were beaten by a much better team, who would have beaten anybody they played last night

Despite his name aye he's Scottish. Sure he was born in Glasgow.

Just noticed Paulo Perth already said that.

Edited by Oldermoresensiblepack

MOH is Scottish born and brought up in Moodiesburn near Glasgow. I believe he has Italian grandparents. He was capped at schoolboy level when he played for Celtic Youth coincidentally Strachan was their manager at this time. He move to Bolton when they were in the Premiership where he was capped at U17, U19 and U21. In my opinion it is not by chance that he got his caps when playing for Celtic and an English Premier club. Is he good enough to play for Scotland I believe he is the best right winger in Scotland so that should give him a chance also Strachan watched him against Motherwell. It is with regret that I say he will not get into the squad while he plays for us. Very few if any players at provincial clubs et capped which I believe is wrong.

Not sure he got it right sgainst germany. Forrest hardly touched the ball ,Mulgrew was as shite at left back as he was at Aberdeen & his subs were strange. I would have taken Forrest off(preferably before kick off) & had the thub cutting in from the left on his right foot.(should have been right on left foot)

Sorry, i just remembered this was a thread about o'halloran. No he is not ready for cap yet.

I can't argue about the subs but overall I still think he got it ok, and we were narrowly beaten by a far superior team on the night