Saints v Dundee Utd. 26/9/15

The ghost of Jim Morton

That was one of the best team performances I've ever seen and let's be fair, this Saints team have delivered some exceptional team performances over the last few seasons. The heart, desire and belief was absolutely fantastic.  Every single player including Mannus, who had a crucial save before he went off, did their bit and more today.  

Hope the BBC edit the highlights properly and show the very clear foul on Macca that led to the break for United to get the penalty.  The East Stand linesman should never be allowed a top flight game again, his performance was worse than incompetent - he was a cheat in my view (and this is from someone who is loathe to criticise officials as I truly believe most of them are honest but just make mistakes like everyone else - and anyhoo without them there's no game).

Finally - McNamara.  I would have been happy if he had stayed in charge of United as it was becoming a guaranteed 3 points a game with him there.  Now he's gone though, I hope we never see him in  the Premiership again.  No class or dignity about him whatsoever.

I'd like to see the whole incident again especially as Tommy seemed to think it was a pen but people sitting nearer weren't so sure and as you say, Macca fouled in the build up in almost an identical manner to Mikey being flattened in the lead up to the pen incident not given in the Hamilton match against Easton which from where I was sat was a stonewaller.

Is it just me or is the standard of officiating reaching an all time low and I don't just mean in a biased pro Saints sense as some of the decision making this season for both sides in games I've seen has at best been baffling and at times quite absurd.

Edited by nickyg

I've not seen the highlights but it was a penalty, that was my first reaction. Wise forward play making contact with gk, thus making the Ref having to make a decision, correctly called a foul but incorrectly called red card. It was a yellow card at most but I'd have expected no card. Ball kicked away from goal wide and Mannus stops and doesn't tackle him.  Like I say it's wise forward play, and that's part of the game.... can't wait to see the highlights for different camera angle of main stand.  Also want to see our offside when we were in, noticed that the padded seats were all on their feet shouting, looked clearly onside. 

I don't buy the 10 v 12 argument, it was 10 v 14!

Same team spirit we've seen from the lads over the last 8 seasons or so and especially in the most important games. Feel sorry for Scoobs tbh. Macca does the exact same ball in the first half and doesn't get punished. We never seem to get a break of the ball in a match but sometimes you make your own luck through graft and determination.  

I know loads of Arabs and I actually feel sorry for them having to watch that sh!te every week. 

Macca fouled in the build up in almost an identical manner to Mikey being flattened in the lead up to the pen incident not given in the Hamilton match against Easton which from where I was sat was a stonewaller.

Is it just me or is the standard of officiating reaching an all time low and I don't just mean in a biased pro Saints sense as some of the decision making this season for both sides in games I've seen has at best been baffling and at times quite absurd.

Trouble is that players cheat a lot more than they used to - whether it's looking for contact, shirt-pulling or feigning - so it's much harder for refs. They have to make split second decisions. It wasn't Madden's best game but I was more aggrieved at the booking for Davidson than anything else. East stand linesman was hopeless though.

I don't know about the sending off. I thought McKay ran into Mannus in which case it shouldn't even have been a foul. But if ref read it as that, then I'd have thought a sending off was inevitable. Looking forward to highlights.

MacLean was fouled, but those sort of things went unpunished all day (thankfully, really as it would have brought the game to a standstill). Macca also has a tendency to go down easily or look for the foul and sometimes that might count against him.

It's worth noting that the media have recently been describing us as a solid, well-disciplined team who rely on Michael O'Halloran as an attacking spark.

It's true though - without MOH we'd have struggled this season. Just about everything positive has come through him.

Great that that wasn't the case today.

Trouble is that players cheat a lot more than they used to - whether it's looking for contact, shirt-pulling or feigning - so it's much harder for refs. They have to make split second decisions. It wasn't Madden's best game but I was more aggrieved at the booking for Davidson than anything else. East stand linesman was hopeless though.

I don't know about the sending off. I thought McKay ran into Mannus in which case it shouldn't even have been a foul. But if ref read it as that, then I'd have thought a sending off was inevitable. Looking forward to highlights.

MacLean was fouled, but those sort of things went unpunished all day (thankfully, really as it would have brought the game to a standstill). Macca also has a tendency to go down easily or look for the foul and sometimes that might count against him.

So, as fouls slow the game down the ref shouldn't bother giving them?  And I've never seen Macca go down easily - or ever be accused of it either.  It was a clear foul and if the linesman did his job the penalty/red card incident doesn't happen.

in slight defence of the east stand linesman, he got his first decision right in pointing for a corner when M O'H got clobbered. Madden just ignored him and gave a goal kick. Lino probably gave up at that stage, "stuff it Madden, do it yourself then".

Anyway, forget the officials. For ten men to hold out against eleven is one thing, to totally dominate and ultimately beat them is testament that, on it's day, this Saints team can stick two fingers up at all the doubters, the opposition, their fans, their management, the SFA, the BBC and anyone else who dares to ignore or underestimate us.

Oh, and goodbye Jackie, thanks for the memories. You're welcome back at McD anytime,as long as you bring another eleven incompetent fuds for us to play with.

in slight defence of the east stand linesman, he got his first decision right in pointing for a corner when M O'H got clobbered. Madden just ignored him and gave a goal kick. Lino probably gave up at that stage, "stuff it Madden, do it yourself then".

Anyway, forget the officials. For ten men to hold out against eleven is one thing, to totally dominate and ultimately beat them is testament that, on it's day, this Saints team can stick two fingers up at all the doubters, the opposition, their fans, their management, the SFA, the BBC and anyone else who dares to ignore or underestimate us.

Oh, and goodbye Jackie, thanks for the memories. You're welcome back at McD anytime,as long as you bring another eleven incompetent fuds for us to play with.

You did get the impression that Madden might have been of these referees that tells the linesmen they are there for corners and offsides, nothing more. 

tommy wright high up on the contenders for utd job according to the sun  LAUGH OUT LOUD

Jim spence said on twitter it'll cost the Arabs 300-400k in compensation (presumably for McNamara, Donnelly, Jackson etc) before they pay any compensation for a new manager coming in. It's going to be a currently unemployed man coming in - McCall, Mixu, Pressley, Butcher etc

Why on Earth would Tommy go to United? 

Because all he'll get from Saints is the sack.  He has given Saints arguably the best spell in their history, what more can he achieve?  He always strikes me as an intelligent man, and very streetwise....United can only go upwards from here...Saints can only go downwards.......bigger budget, bigger salary, higher profile stranger things have happened!  

Because all he'll get from Saints is the sack.  He has given Saints arguably the best spell in their history, what more can he achieve?  He always strikes me as an intelligent man, and very streetwise....United can only go upwards from here...Saints can only go downwards.......bigger budget, bigger salary, higher profile stranger things have happened!  

I agree with almost everything you post Smarmy, one of the best posters on here, but this is crap.  Saints fans consider top 6, cup runs and Europe a massive success. Only relegation would put TW's position in question. If we finish top 6 then TW wins. If we get to a cup final or into Europe again then his hero status improves. If we win a cup or make the Euro playoffs then he is cemented as our best ever manager. 

Dundee Utd scraping into the top 6 is nigh on impossible in my opinion.

i can't see united being a bigger club than Saints for a few seasons to come. 

Imagine being Saints manager of you knew your chairman was desperate to sell O'Halloran at all costs in the next window? 

That was a bit Sevco, Smarmy. Breath, have a drink, a walk in the fresh air. It's Dundee United. I have had things in my fridge longer than they have been a top-flight club.

United can only go forward? Keep this up and you could be Championship next year!!!

Smarmy, Jackie McNamara had a bigger budget and salary, it didn't do him any good.

Tommy has 2 years left on his contract. If you want him, they'll  have to pay that off. Considering they've got that absolute joke of a coaching staff to pay off - all of whom on 2.5 year deals - you'll be doing well to afford that. 

Even if Tommy was to go, we've got Davidson now waiting in the wings, having served his apprenticeship as Tommy's assistant for the last 2 years. We've got all our best players tied down on two year deals, so I certainly wouldn't be worried for us in the short term.