Safe Standing

neil03

There is no debate, for those able think outside the box. Of course safe standing. I know the German league has been given as an example all too often but enough, think of the risk taken in so many aspects of life even now and we are still debating whether it's logical to confirm a few hundred to a thousand soles can stand to watch a sporting event, when the vast amount of sporting events global wide are viewed by standing spectators shows and often with much more risk, how ridiculous has  this issue has become. To reiterate...yes!

Ideally, yes McDiarmid would have the choice of a standing area. But if it would cost any significant amount of money then it wouldn't be very high up my list of priorities. I don't think it would make any difference to attendances, and I'm not convinced it would make much difference to the atmosphere either. If people want to create an atmosphere, they can - but at most Scottish grounds people simply choose not to. I struggle to see what Saints would really gain out of the expense.

There is no debate, for those able think outside the box. Of course safe standing. I know the German league has been given as an example all too often but enough, think of the risk taken in so many aspects of life even now and we are still debating whether it's logical to confirm a few hundred to a thousand soles can stand to watch a sporting event, when the vast amount of sporting events global wide are viewed by standing spectators shows and often with much more risk, how ridiculous has  this issue has become. To reiterate...yes!

I went to a couple of matches in Germany a few weeks ago - it's an incredible experience but it's also a completely different culture to Scotland and I don't think you could even come close to replicating that by simply removing some seats (in fact, one of the matches I went to over there was in an all-seater stadium but still had a cracking atmosphere).

The atmosphere over there is very orchestrated - the fans sing along to songs played over the loud speakers, they respond to prompts by the tannoy announcer, they follow the lead of guys standing down the front with megaphones, etc. My impression of it was that very little of what they do seems to be related to what's actually happening on the pitch. They have long 'proper' songs that they all join in singing, with verses and choruses. Fans over here would never go for that. Imagine if the tannoy guy at Saints started reading out just the first names of players and expecting the fans to all shout out their surnames? Everyone would just give each other funny looks and no one would join in. Imagine if Saints introduced a club song and tried to get everyone belting it out with pride - it would just never happen. I remember Frank Skinner saying once that West Brom tried to do that, and all the West Brom fans started singing "if you think we're singing that you must be mad." I think that sums up the difference between European fan culture and ours. We're just too cynical and self-aware to go in for that kind of stuff.

The closest Saints have come to getting that kind of atmosphere going was at the Cup Final and a couple of the European games where Super Saint made a fantastic effort in getting everyone to sing the 'Espana' song together and twirling their scarves. I felt like maybe that could have become 'our thing', but it hasn't really happened and when the club held a vote over the summer to choose a song for the team to run out to, that song wasn't even included among the choices.