What is the best bar in the world you have been to ?

AthensSaint

I cannot find a decent link but in the eighties I ended up in the Wyndham Bar, Wyndham, Western Australia.

There are/was two bars in the hotel. The "normal bar" and the Abo bar. Fçking brilliant.

Barramundi and chips on the menu. The pool table was in The Abo bar where nobody dared enter apart from daft wee Scottish without a clue and ..Abos    

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g495088-d1367891-Reviews-Wyndham_Town_Hotel_Motel-Wyndham_Western_Australia.html

Ha ha, like the sound of that!

My favourite was an unnamed rum shack on Barbados. I thoroughly enjoyed getting pissed watching the surfers until I noticed the local who had driven me there (on the other side of the island from the ship I was due to catch) was more pissed than me!

There followed a white knuckle drive back at break-neck speed. I gave up counting how many times he hit the verge/kerbs.

The unfortunately named Mount Gay rum was the local weapon of choice!

Ha ha, like the sound of that!

My favourite was an unnamed rum shack on Barbados. I thoroughly enjoyed getting pissed watching the surfers until I noticed the local who had driven me there (on the other side of the island from the ship I was due to catch) was more pissed than me!

There followed a white knuckle drive back at break-neck speed. I gave up counting how many times he hit the verge/kerbs.

The unfortunately named Mount Gay rum was the local weapon of choice!

There was an article on BBC online a few weeks a go about some mysterious rum that was so strong that it made you crazy if you drunk enough over a period of time.

We were travelling in Malaysia a few years ago, ended up in the Perhentian Islands. We'd heard it was dry so we took a kerry oot with us, which didn't last long. Went exploring the jungle, got chased by one of these lizard thingies and got lost a bit. Eventually I saw a sign in the distance just as night was falling and I said to her "is that a Heineken sign?". As we got closer, it was. Went in to the place and asked if they sell Heineken. Sure says the wee man. A crate and a half later, we paid him to take us back to our camp in his boat, laden down with another crate. Can't tell you what a welcome sight that bar was, and the beer was ice cold too. Don't remember the name.

We were travelling in Malaysia a few years ago, ended up in the Perhentian Islands. We'd heard it was dry so we took a kerry oot with us, which didn't last long. Went exploring the jungle, got chased by one of these lizard thingies and got lost a bit. Eventually I saw a sign in the distance just as night was falling and I said to her "is that a Heineken sign?". As we got closer, it was. Went in to the place and asked if they sell Heineken. Sure says the wee man. A crate and a half later, we paid him to take us back to our camp in his boat, laden down with another crate. Can't tell you what a welcome sight that bar was, and the beer was ice cold too. Don't remember the name.

Been to Tioman Island but not The Perhentian Islands. More turtles than beers on Tioman.    

Grand Caymans, a local taxi driver had mentioned a bar, cheap rum and great bands, friendly. He said that night there was to be a big boxing match on and he was going. The deal was a local heavyweight champ vs a huge (and fat) american disc jockey had been boasting his unbeatable boxing skills on the air, winding up the locals for weeks. It had ended with a challenge that was taken and tonight was the night.

The bar (ill try and find the name) was a huge barn and served mainly rum, was right in the middle of the Cayman's, no-where near anything, 500 locals maybe 20 tourists and packed. Was with an ex-girlfriend and she got free rum all night which I stole. We drank, danced, shared pot with locals, the band played, people fought in the ring, various styles and then the big event.... with huge razzmatazz this giant of a man 6 6" and 25 stone came into the barn with his bizarre posse and a mic, baiting the crowd brilliantly, the crowd went wild, none for him, all against, he was followed by a professional looking boxer half his size that was cheered wildly.

When the giant got knocked out (in under a minute) I have never in my life seen a place erupt like this, and it went on for an hour with hysterical laughter, cheering and screams of fun abuse and vast amounts of drinking celebrations.... the band played on, then a DJ, we drank and sang until dawn and then slunk back to the hotel and beach to sleep it off.

One of my fondest memories ever, even better that we had stumbled into this bar. I always wondered if its still there....

jacks Shak in Fortiviet or Commercial in Dingwall

Black Jack Davidson's,officialy known as the Forteviet Hotel,beside the level crossing.Long since gone,spent many a Friday night in there with it stowed full of ferm workers,log fire roaring away an old guy from Auchterarder playing his sqeeze box in the corner all night as long as he had a nip in front of him.More to the point you got a bloody good pint,one problem was if the Earn was in spate the cellar flooded and the barrels would float around so it was on with the wellies and down the stairs to rectify the situation.Didn't have to go half way round the world for a great bar in those days.

Black Jack Davidson's,officialy known as the Forteviet Hotel,beside the level crossing.Long since gone,spent many a Friday night in there with it stowed full of ferm workers,log fire roaring away an old guy from Auchterarder playing his sqeeze box in the corner all night as long as he had a nip in front of him.More to the point you got a bloody good pint,one problem was if the Earn was in spate the cellar flooded and the barrels would float around so it was on with the wellies and down the stairs to rectify the situation.Didn't have to go half way round the world for a great bar in those days.

I remember that place....one of the weirdest vibes I can remember in a pub.  They didn't seem to care much for outsiders.....  Good beer though....

The Lumpie in Aberdeen - The Blue Lamp, back in the 80s, before the extension when it was just a tiny bar downstairs with the most amazing collection of multi-coloured fungus in the toilets and the old jukebox that played four for 10p, and included Petite Fleur by Chris Barber's Jazz Band that I played every time I was in. There was a bar upstairs as well which was most notable for having a barmaid I really fancied but didn't have the nerve to ask out. And of course there was Sandy Broon and his amazing sweaters. Spent a great deal of my student grant there 1982-1985.